Softening the flashgun light.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I want to produce a softer light from my flashgun when I'm outdoors. I know you can get mini soft boxes etc, but was wondering if any body had any ideas for a cheap and cheerful D.I.Y fix.
Thanks

You can use a small plastic milk bottle to place over the flash, that works quite well (when its empty);)

Mark

Someone posted on here a little while ago that the carex bottles of soap (the ones with some extra free, or something) fit perfectly over the end of flash guns and work really well!

Neither of those are going to do very much to soften light outdoors where, more than likely, there's not going to be anything for light to bounce off.

The best option would be to find something to bounce off - e.g. get someone to hold a reflector and bounce off that. Failing that, a bounce card (the larger it is, the softer the light) which you can easily make yourself. I've used funkyfoam (from Hobbycraft) which works pretty well.

If you use a diffuser, a lot of the light is going to disappear in directions other than straight ahead. Inside this is fine as it bounces off walls and ceilings. Outside it is wasted.

Do a search for flash bounce card.

Steve.

Take a butchers at this site......

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

You could always manufacture something similar...... I did.... a piece of white paper, laminated, then held on with Velcro..... worked a treat

Phil

ps - I did by a lumiquest as well..... :D

Back