Critique Some birds from martin mere this weekend (8 images)

Name
Christian
Edit My Images
Yes
As a start in wildlife/birds it's a solid one and you can be happy with what you've taken. Certainly I'd say the final Crane image is spot-on.

While I could look at individual photos and make suggestions, the only critique I want to make that runs common through the set is the issue of subject eye-level. So your crane and gull photos where you are at their eye-level are stronger images than where you're looking down on one of the ducks. If you can follow through with this on subsequent trips, combined with what you've shown here, I reckon you'll take some excellent stuff.

Finally, as a minor nitpick; I believe it pays to take the time to label the photos with information of the subjects for reason of pulling the viewer in to an emotional attachment. The ones I recognise are:
1 - Coot, 2 - Nene Goose, 4 - White-cheeked Pintail, 5 - Yellow billed duck, 7-9 - Grey Crowned Crane, 12 - Black Swan , 13- Black-headed Gull.

Take pride in that you've done more right than wrong. As for the eye-level thing, it's human nature to take photos standing up rather than to roll around on the ground (when the wife will probably tell you off for getting mud on your best jeans!)

As a bachelor I'm free to roll around in the mud with abandon...

I've not been at this long but to me these all look really good. Great tip about eye level though!

The crowned crane is a great addition to Martin Mere. It's sometimes a majestic bird...

...and sometimes not!

View attachment 18643

I know this isn't a great photo (crits welcome), not least because I had spot metering on, but it suddenly went bonkers! I think Mr is missing Mrs, or vice versa. Either that or the avocets and white-faced whistling ducks sent it over the edge.

Back