Some Coypu in France

Name
Spike
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these early one morning in a river near where I was staying, they are known in France as an otter, but they are really just big water rats, these where around 2 foot in length with their tail, there where loads of them.

Round the lake-18 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

Round the lake-22 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

Round the lake-20 by SpikeK6, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Still alive and kicking in the UK as well (escapees), Just seems like france dont want to get rid of them now.
Nice photos and not that easy to shoot, I saw one and it was gone before I had chance to focus the lens.(I live in France)

Still alive and kicking in the UK as well (escapees),
)
Have got a reference for that? I thought they were eradicated in UK by 1989.

There are some in Norfolk, few years back when I lived there I heard the noise they make and if you google koypu in Norfolk I'm sure it will show up.

Nice set Spike, not seen one in a very long time (in the UK) (y)

Yes there was a massive cull (I thought it was later than that TBH, but no matter)
Where they claimed to have eradicated them totally from the Broads, the cull was due to the damage to the banks.
I'm in the pest control business, and still get confirmed reports, from time to time, from very reliable sources that they are in fact still a few around.

Good to see, Paul, nice images

Quite are few out here, (SW France) … in fact there are lots ….. I see them most weeks with lots of young around at the moment, swimming

They are herbivores and have favourite plants they like to eat destroying vegetation ……… but they are quite timid

You can see why they are good "diggers"

Collapsing banks are a problem for the anglers here and some of the "locals" trap them and make Coypu pâté …………. - Bon Appétit

They are the only living species of the Myocastoridae family but for us they are an introduced, invasive species, so in principle I do not favour them

This one was running away from me!!!

Coypu.jpg

Last edited:
Back