Critique Some Geese on Esquimalt Lagoon

Neil - Black and whites together, always difficult for me, it seems to be a balancing act based on getting the settings as near as possible using + or - EV …….. but there may be other ways?
your camera settings may help and the histogram will show it

The first shot is too OOF on a lot of the bird anyway and confusing, (to me) …… it may be felt that the water is attractive ……. but it's not really in this image …. all IMHO

I like the second shot but as you indicate that (very) large area of blown "lights" ……… (I've started to call them lights rather than "white" as they occur with other colours, e.g. yellows) …….. ……… plus you may need to do a little work on the head to bring out more detail in the eye and bill ………. probably turn it into a "bin" shot

I'm not a fan of Canada …. they have been introduced all over the place …… they ruin natural habitat and crap all over public places, they are also "nasty" birds …….. I'll have to ask my French neighbour what they are like to eat ……… as the French generally eat most things
They are a menace in some French parks but for some bizarre reason I think that they are protected, (when many "water" birds are not - the frog like to shoot them, water birds that is). I also think someone measured how much crap they produce in a day or week or year and it is quite a lot!!!
As you may have noticed, I can go on

It is a lot easier to comment than it is to take good shots

Last edited:
Thanks. I agree with most of what you say. The head and beak do lack detai. I did bring the exposure up in that area a little, but it needs more.

I personally don't find Canada Geese to be obnoxious like you do, but they are very common and they do produce a large amount of "fertiliser".

Thanks. I agree with most of what you say. The head and beak do lack detai. I did bring the exposure up in that area a little, but it needs more.

I personally don't find Canada Geese to be obnoxious like you do, but they are very common and they do produce a large amount of "fertiliser".

apparently they crap every 20 mins and produce 1.5lbs of crap a day - their droppings contain all sort of stuff which spreads disease on land and water born - when you get loads of them together it is like a sh1t farm …… rather than spreading their crap about, once established they tend to hang around and don't migrate ….t hey are powerful birds and often attack other water fowl

Last edited:
Back