Some of my car photographs.

Name
James Rothwell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there.

As you can tell from my pictures I don't really know much about photography but I am keen to learn!

Please tell me how I can improve my images.

M5Tourer.jpg

editedalfa.jpg

image3_2_1.jpg

Thanks for any help/advice!

Last edited:
I think the composition and perspective you've used in your shots is good. How about telling us more about your camera?

The BMW one is my favourite

I have a Nikon D40 at the moment that I bought as a starter DSLR camera last year and really enjoy taking pictures, I should hopefully be buying a D200 next week!

Thanks for your comments. The BMW one is quite good, but I'm not sure if it looks over worked, I was annoyed that I couldn't get a good clear one of it but the damn thing was going so fast. It was taken at the Nurburgring.

The second picture of the Alfa Brera I'm quite proud of, as I like the location.

The third picture is of my mates Aston, I was trying to get to grips with shooting in low light without flash, I found it very difficult. But I think it looks alright.

The fourth picture of the Jeep was on my roadtrip up to Nordkapp, I have quite a few of that trip that I like, which I will probably post in the landscape forum.

The final picture is also from the Nurburgring last August when it was very, very busy and 28*c!

Sorry about the initial images being too large.

Here is a couple more pictures of my car that I just drove to Dubrovnik in.

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0034-1.jpg

From the first lot... not sure I like the PP on the first two. The composition looks ok, just what happened to it in photoshop I don't like.

The 3rd one is a little blury - too long an exposure for hand holding probably (1/13th!). You've also lost the arse end of the car, the house window is a nasty distraction and the sodium street light makes a mess of it. Is it just a shot of a nice car on a neighbours drive or something? Blimey, that lot of C&C a bit harsh... sorry!

Quite like the 4x4 in the snow, but its more of a snap than photography...

The last one, not quite sure whats going on there - some sort of start of a race? My money is on the viper :D Not really any sense of action there though.

Of the merc ones... the first one is spoilt by glare I think, plus the sky is blown. Try a polarizer to fix both problems.

The last merc... I like this you know... use photoshop to loose the advertising and I think this is nice.

I playing with editing images on the computer I don't have photoshop I have only got a Serif programme.

I find shooting in low light very difficult, would the best way to get a good shot of my mates Aston to use a tripod and a long exposure?

I think the last one that looks like a race is much like you say a snap rather than photography.

What do you mean when you say the sky is blown? You can't see it?
Glad you like the second Merc one, once I get myself a copy of photoshop and get an understanding of how it works I will have a go at it.

GFWilliams - No that picture was taken in the field next to Pflanzgarten (the downhill chicance with a brief straight and a bump then a sweeping right hander).

This picture was taken in the car park where you are thinking of, although I fear it is a "snap" rather than photography.
DSC_0076-1.jpg

Last edited:
I playing with editing images on the computer I don't have photoshop I have only got a Serif programme.

Try Adobe Photoshop Elements if you can't stretch to the full Photoshop, it can do most of what you need.

I find shooting in low light very difficult, would the best way to get a good shot of my mates Aston to use a tripod and a long exposure?

I shutter speed is just one of the three controls you have on how much light your picture gets... wide aperture (if your lens can do it...) and higher ISO also will make it bright requiring a shorter shutter speed. Or add some light of your own - flash or other lighting. Failing that you need to stabilise your shot - tripod time.

What do you mean when you say the sky is blown? You can't see it?

Well you have metered and exposed for the dark car, which means that the sky is over exposed, loosing both cloud detail/colour and also 50% of it is completely gone to white. Either a software HDR of it or a polarizer on your lens would give you an interesting sky as well as a nice car. Nicer backgrounds make for nicer pictures.

Have a look at the type of thing you see on the BBC's Top Gear - look at what they do with dramatic skies and fabulous landscape scenery with cars on it. Plenty of ideas on how to make cars look stunning on there....

Glad you like the second Merc one, once I get myself a copy of photoshop and get an understanding of how it works I will have a go at it.

If I get chance later, I'll have a go - not that my cloning skills are good! But you might get the idea what the shot could look like.

To me it looks a million times better!

Back