Some Portraits from me Inc. a self portrait!

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Sandbach Transport festival today and decided to do some portraits.

1. Old Skool Copper
IMG_6724.jpg

2. On his tractor
IMG_6644.jpg

3. On his tractor #2
IMG_6637.jpg

4. In the uniform
IMG_6631.jpg

5. In his truck
IMG_6558.jpg

6, Giving it beans
IMG_6503.jpg

7. HAIR
IMG_6460.jpg

6. FACIAL HAIR
IMG_6354.jpg

7. Enjoying it
IMG_6349.jpg

8. ME!!
IMG_6718.jpg

C and C

Thanks
Matt

Some good ones there Mat, I especially like number 6.

6 is the best for me too, although I quite like the 'copper'.

Perhaps you should look at your numbering policy?

In the first four shots the light is very harsh and not condusive to good portraits (leads to squinty or blocked out (with shadows) eyes and mega contrast) and would probably have been helped by a little burst of fill-in flash, and 5, 7-9 you have suffered a bit by exposing more for the overall image rather than the for the subject (if a portrait then the facial skin tones should really be correctly exposed, as opposed to a record shot, to which these are more akin), whilst I realise that people in-situ pictures are taken as are, there is no real reason why numbers 8 & 9 (my numbering not yours :p ) should not be correctly exposed for the facial tones (I realise that this will blow the background, but there is nothing in either of them that is of importance, and you could if you wanted subdue the backgound a bit in PP).

Taking a good portrait of someone inside a vehicle is actually quite difficult and usually requires more than just the photographer and the model as it usually involves bouncing some light into the vehicle to balance up the contrast between inside and out.

So 6 gets it for me as the exposure is better, he is not squinting into the sun with panda eyes and the exposure of the vehicle is good (colour maybe could do with warming slightly).

Sorry to be seem so negative Matt, but you did ask for some C&Cs.

Oh and I won't say anything about the last :puke:

Last edited:
Some good ones there Mat, I especially like number 6.

Thank you very much!!

6 is the best for me too, although I quite like the 'copper'.

Perhaps you should look at your numbering policy?

In the first four shots the light is very harsh and not condusive to good portraits (leads to squinty or blocked out (with shadows) eyes and mega contrast) and would probably have been helped by a little burst of fill-in flash, and 5, 7-9 you have suffered a bit by exposing more for the overall image rather than the for the subject (if a portrait then the facial skin tones should really be correctly exposed, as opposed to a record shot, to which these are more akin), whilst I realise that people in-situ pictures are taken as are, there is no real reason why numbers 8 & 9 (my numbering not yours :p ) should not be correctly exposed for the facial tones (I realise that this will blow the background, but there is nothing in either of them that is of importance, and you could if you wanted subdue the backgound a bit in PP).

Taking a good portrait of someone inside a vehicle is actually quite difficult and usually requires more than just the photographer and the model as it usually involves bouncing some light into the vehicle to balance up the contrast between inside and out.

So 6 gets it for me as the exposure is better, he is not squinting into the sun with panda eyes and the exposure of the vehicle is good (colour maybe could do with warming slightly).

Sorry to be seem so negative Matt, but you did ask for some C&Cs.

Oh and I won't say anything about the last :puke:

Thank you very much for that!! Great advice and most helpful :) Have taken that on board :)

Oi :bat: Saying that the camera hasnt worked properly since :LOL:

Back