Some predicable snowy scenes (pic added)

Name
Gerald Davies
Edit My Images
Yes
DOn't wonder into this section to often, but the snow has forced me to make an effort, so heres a few from the weekend.

Saturday in Inverness was rather a dull day, so just went for a wonder and came out with this image.

4265979629_48916b9cb2_o.jpg

This one is from Sunday and the weather was completely different.

4266728596_8b656e10a3_o.jpg

Hope you like them.

Gerald

Last edited:
god number 2 is stunning! I do love 1st one too but for totally different reasons

The second photo is simply beautiful, i like how the tree contrasts the snow well done

Dan

Cheers Dan

Both excellent shots but I must admit the first one really does it for me - the repetition of the unbroken snow is really incredible!

Cheers peter. It was hard going getting this image, but well worth it.

two beautiful shots gerald,love the first for the patterns in the snow,and the feeling of tranquility and peace,and the second shot is one i'll be hoping to get if we have the snow that is forecast for tomorrow :)

Thanks Stan, I hope you get teh snow you need tomorrow,

Couple of crackers there. Love them both. (y)

Thanks Oli

god number 2 is stunning! I do love 1st one too but for totally different reasons

Thanks energyman. The images to kind of contrast with each other.

Like them both Gerald but think #1 is my fav (y)

Cheers Dave

Two crackers. Love the low perspective on the first one but the second shots a classic! Well done.

Both are absolute crackers imho! Love the mood of the first and the textures are awesome. The second, the composition is spot on as is the exposure. Nice work!

Both of these are captivating images, number 1 just nudges ahead for me :)

Both good. I dont want to pick either. I like them both

Both are absolute crackers imho! Love the mood of the first and the textures are awesome. The second, the composition is spot on as is the exposure. Nice work!

Thanks Woodsy.

Gerald - You should venture in here allot more... These are belters, both of them! Sensational shots.

Cheers Neil. I'll do my best, but I prefer feather and fur ;)

Both of these are captivating images, number 1 just nudges ahead for me :)

Thanks Greytop

Two fantastic images - the first one does it for me.

Cheers F3TT

Great Set

Kirk

(y)

Amazing photos.

Great colours and composition. Number 2 has to be the winner for me!

(y)

Both good. I dont want to pick either. I like them both

Thanks Oldgit

Two superb shots Gerald :clap::clap:

Cheers Doc

I like them both too. Love the texture of the snow in both. Excellent!

John

(y)John

two fantastic shots. Where was the first taken?

For that first I would have walked up along the tree line and looked in the direction of the light (i.e with the light direction) or to a 45 degree angle. As it is the sun is very overpowering and my eye simply doesn't get away from it. A photograph of the ground itself, on the lighter side at a 45 degree angle would of given the subject matter more shape and depth. Try and Photoshop the sun out, see how it looks then.

The second image has potential. Yes there is snow on the ground but snow itself doesn't provide for a very interesting foreground. For this particular image I would have popped on a telephoto lens, closed the aperture value to f/8 or f/11 and placed the tree in the lower third of the portrait oriented image. This way the image would still say, winter, snow, cold, frost etc,.. but it would be minimalist and somewhat abstract. At present the plain foreground takes away from image.

Last edited:

Gerald - You should venture in here allot more... These are belters, both of them! Sensational shots.

:agree:

Both fantastic Gerald! i love the texture of the snow and feel is is an important point to the image.. to cut any of it out would have been a travesty! i also love the sun being there.. it haves a great feel and mood.. i just love them...

For that first I would have walked up along the tree line and looked in the direction of the light (i.e with the light direction) or to a 45 degree angle. As it is the sun is very overpowering and my eye simply doesn't get away from it. A photograph of the ground itself, on the lighter side at a 45 degree angle would of given the subject matter more shape and depth. Try and Photoshop the sun out, see how it looks then.

The second image has potential. Yes there is snow on the ground but snow itself doesn't provide for a very interesting foreground. For this particular image I would have popped on a telephoto lens, closed the aperture value to f/8 or f/11 and placed the tree in the lower third of the portrait oriented image. This way the image would still say, winter, snow, cold, frost etc,.. but it would be minimalist and somewhat abstract. At present the plain foreground takes away from image.

Hi King_Boru, thanks for your comments they are much appreciated. Not trying to sound to defensive here, on the 1st image, if I had taken the image at 45 degrees the image would have been to empty as this is at the edge of a very large field and would simply have been grey sky and snow. I do agree with you on the sun and it has been reduced already. I'm going try and reduce it some more. Yes the image would have been lighter taken as you describe but the above composition would have been imposible, field size again and the sky part of the image would have been to empty.

Again your comments are appreciated on the 2nd image, I do like it the way the current composition of the image, but you have given me food for thought. I'll have to give that a try in the future, don't know if I'll be able to get this image any time soon, as the snow has started to melt and the weather has been given to warm up even more :( (to be honest I'm fed up with the snow now).

:agree:

Both fantastic Gerald! i love the texture of the snow and feel is is an important point to the image.. to cut any of it out would have been a travesty! i also love the sun being there.. it haves a great feel and mood.. i just love them...

Thanks Fraggle. I do agree with you especially the sun in the first image, otherwise the top left 3rd of the image would be to empty. Although I do agree with King_Boru, in that it does need toning down.

No2 for me its great
I see you set your camera in manual how did you get your exposure on this one? what compensation did you use?

Hi Chaz

I used evaluative metering, took a photo, checked the historgam and adjusted until the graph looked right to me. If I remember it was slightly over exposed, as the meter will take the snow as 18% grey, but the blue sky will reduce the over exposure need. I've been over exposing on most of my snow shots form 1 to 2 stops.

Hope this makes sense.

Back