Some shots from Leeds today

Edit My Images
Yes
Went for a little walk around Leeds today

Im not too happy with the pics again, just like yesterday, but the more i look at them the more i tend to like them, weird..

More on my Flickr

Anyone got any critique?

Thanks for looking,

James.

Last edited:
Hi James,

I think you may have been a victim of dull weather in general, the skies are rather flat and don't offer much contrast, colour or interest.

Number 1 is an interesting point of view of Bridgwater Place, however, there's a bit too much patchy dark tarmac and railings in the shot / the building itself looks like it needs a little straighten

2 Doesn't do much for me in terms of composition, I can see you were going for a reflection shot but I think the dullness of the sky and flatness of light kill it a bit.

3 Is a stronger image, good leading lines, however there's not much of an emphasis on a particular element in the photograph, could have perhaps been a little bit wider?

4 For me there's a bit too much undergrowth, I'd have taken the shot portrait and emphasised the reflections.

5 Princes Exchange is a stark and crisp building, its a shame you've cropped the corners out and I'm not sure the sign does anything for the shot whatsoever. I'd say get up close to the building and shoot up to skew the angles and emphasise the sharp points.

Like so (taken ages ago on crap out of date film)

Prince's Exchange by jST., on Flickr

Hope the above doesn't sound too harsh, Leeds (like everywhere) looks much better on a Sunny day and gives you loads more to work with.

J.

No no, i need this, im struggling so im wanting as much help as i can get, i posted some pictures yesterday of the 5 rise locks in bingley hoping to get help there too, maybe that could have helped today lol..

What do i do if the sky is like it is? How do i alter my photography in such a way to capture shots better?

Some days just aren't meant for taking pictures of buildings with sky in the shot unfortunately. If the days is just completely dull with no interest in the sky (it doesn't have to be a sunny day, moody rainclouds work just as well as fluffy white clouds) then you're better off spending your time taking photos either indoors or focusing on things like street furniture or the decorative parts of the building.

Either that or try it in black and white. As long as there's some contrast that can rescue the scene.

As Joe says your a victim to the bad light on that day. i would go back to Princes Exchange and look around it more, there are some excellent angles to look at, many don't need the sky in them to work, so good for dull overcast days. Try converting some to mono, that can work well when the light is not at it's best.

Also give the Trinity Shopping centre a look, some good shots to be had in there, and they don't seem to care about photographers, same in the Corn Exchange.

In reply to the "bad weather for photography" comments, I would suggest that an overcast day with even lighting is actually perfect for this type of subject matter. The light on days like this does not introduce any hint of glamour into the subject matter that a bright sunny one would do. Photography on days like this is all about an honest depiction of one's surroundings. If those surroundings are not particularly ...... er .....glamorous ...... like the ones here, subject matter and light are a perfect match.

Contemporary landscape photographers would seek out this match of light and subject for their work.

As in photographing any buildings anywhere you are going to have problems with converging verticals but you may be able to remove at least some of this in your software.

Personally my favourite is the one with the railway tracks on the right hand side, it has some very good graphic elements in it. I might try to open up the dark area on the left though.

On a related note, I never realised we had so many Leeds based photographers on here. There's loads!

Back