Something a little different

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Well after loads of trouble cleaning dust spots and with one remaining persistant @ f22 I thought I'd try and see if it appeared on the reversed setup which I tried at f11 (usual setup) and f16.

Reversed 18-55mm + 1.4x TC + Flash diffused.

But as I didn't put back on the battery grip and it was dinner time I thought I'd do a quick test. Enjoy

1. Baked Beans

Mess Around-7727-07
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Fish Fingers

Mess Around-7728-08
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. Cauliflower

Mess Around-7729-09
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Ice Cream and Hundreds and Thousands

Mess Around-7746-13
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. Spill free spout

Mess Around-7748-14
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Mess Around-7743-11
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Mess Around-7750-15
by bthomas124, on Flickr

8. Table cloth

Mess Around-7725-06
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Last edited:
I wondered what sort of globbies #1, #4, & #6 were. Sorry mate I couldn't resist it.:D

(Hope you sorted the dust bunnies out though).

George.

Definitely a little different! :)

Well after loads of trouble cleaning dust spots and with one remaining persistant @ f22

You have my sympathies. Those hassles almost made me give up on the 70D.

Do you have an illuminated loupe? I got one and found it helped.

I thought I'd try and see if it appeared on the reversed setup which I tried at f11 (usual setup) and f16.

Did it? I hope not.

I like no 4 and 10 best. Interesting subjects.

Cheers much appreciated

Beans... fish fingers... AND Cauliflower!!!!!! Wtf?? :D

Ask the wife it was the kid's veg.

I wondered what sort of globbies #1, #4, & #6 were. Sorry mate I couldn't resist it.:D

(Hope you sorted the dust bunnies out though).

George.

Well not completely sorted don't want to waste money on getting it professionally done. Need a lit loupe by sounds of it.

Edit: globbies are beanus maximus fartus and sweetitus colourcitius

Definitely a little different! :)

You have my sympathies. Those hassles almost made me give up on the 70D.

Do you have an illuminated loupe? I got one and found it helped.

Did it? I hope not.

Its just one persistent one that is bugging me as I know it's there but it's faint at f22 so not showing at f16 - f11. Last time I did it only took 3x wet wipes and a brush and it was clear.

Will look at getting a lit loupe any suggestions on a good make?

Last edited:
Will look at getting a lit loupe any suggestions on a good make?

This is the one I bought. Probably not the best, the cheapest, or the most expensive. It seems to work ok (It has proved useful for a couple of other, non-photographic things too.)

I find I have to look really carefully to see the dust particles, moving my head very slightly side to side to get a slightly different angle on the sensor - this seems to help make the dust particles easier to spot. The definitive test is still 3 shots at f/32 of a light coloured wall, and flick back and forth between them on the PC. But using the loupe speeded the process up considerably because I didn't have to keep dropping the mirror, putting the lens back on, dismounting the camera to take the card out, load up the images, look at them, find there were still spots (but in different places), put the card back in, delete the images, raise the mirror, take off the lens and repeat over and over again. With the loupe, most of the time I can just take a look after I've tried to clean it, and only bother with the f/32 test once I can't see anything with the loupe.

I've also found the loupe helps with the brush. Having seen a dust particle I can charge up the brush with the blower and just apply it to the area concerned rather than trying to brush the whole sensor every time and risk putting something down elsewhere on the sensor. Only if I can't move a spot with the blower (not much use in my experience) or the brush do I move to a wet wipe.

This is the one I bought. Probably not the best, the cheapest, or the most expensive. It seems to work ok (It has proved useful for a couple of other, non-photographic things too.)

I find I have to look really carefully to see the dust particles, moving my head very slightly side to side to get a slightly different angle on the sensor - this seems to help make the dust particles easier to spot. The definitive test is still 3 shots at f/32 of a light coloured wall, and flick back and forth between them on the PC. But using the loupe speeded the process up considerably because I didn't have to keep dropping the mirror, putting the lens back on, dismounting the camera to take the card out, load up the images, look at them, find there were still spots (but in different places), put the card back in, delete the images, raise the mirror, take off the lens and repeat over and over again. With the loupe, most of the time I can just take a look after I've tried to clean it, and only bother with the f/32 test once I can't see anything with the loupe.

I've also found the loupe helps with the brush. Having seen a dust particle I can charge up the brush with the blower and just apply it to the area concerned rather than trying to brush the whole sensor every time and risk putting something down elsewhere on the sensor. Only if I can't move a spot with the blower (not much use in my experience) or the brush do I move to a wet wipe.

Thanks Nick, yeah I have not had much luck with blower only. Though saying that it may have helped as an intermediate step between cleanings.

I think I see Kim Kardashian's butt in that second bean shot..

lmAo *pun intended*

Re-Dust Spots. On my old K100D which was prone to picking up everything in the air I tried a blower, cotton buds in alcohol, baby wipes etc all with limited results. I know these methods are extreme but these sensors are stronger than you think.
Finally what I found best was some low tack scotch tape, it was the exact width of the sensor so a piece of that placed over and rubbed on the sensor then removed just like a leg wax (according to the Mr's) did the job of getting all the bunnies off, funnily enough I haven't had to touch my 600D's sensor in two and a half years even though there are a few marks at f22.

Beanzzzzz don`t forget my beanzzzzzz as my mate @Asha would say and its funny that i`ll be off to see him this w/e with 24 cans of the bl@@dy stuff for winter lol (should keep him warm :whistle:)
10,11 & 16 is that some sort of toy ;):whistle: answers on a postcard please, rofl :D
No9 Macro shot is right, Its one I like (y)
No 12 locks like you`ve nailed this one :)
Damn you man now you`ve made me hungry again :mad::mad:
Fish fingers n beanzzzzzz mmmmmm

Re-Dust Spots. On my old K100D which was prone to picking up everything in the air I tried a blower, cotton buds in alcohol, baby wipes etc all with limited results. I know these methods are extreme but these sensors are stronger than you think.
Finally what I found best was some low tack scotch tape, it was the exact width of the sensor so a piece of that placed over and rubbed on the sensor then removed just like a leg wax (according to the Mr's) did the job of getting all the bunnies off, funnily enough I haven't had to touch my 600D's sensor in two and a half years even though there are a few marks at f22.

Not sure I fancy trying scotch tape just yet but I will keep it in mind. 500d seems to be getting dust bunnies every 6 mths or so with lots of lens changes so not too bad.

Beanzzzzz don`t forget my beanzzzzzz as my mate @Asha would say and its funny that i`ll be off to see him this w/e with 24 cans of the bl@@dy stuff for winter lol (should keep him warm :whistle:)
10,11 & 16 is that some sort of toy ;):whistle: answers on a postcard please, rofl :D
No9 Macro shot is right, Its one I like (y)
No 12 locks like you`ve nailed this one :)
Damn you man now you`ve made me hungry again :mad::mad:
Fish fingers n beanzzzzzz mmmmmm

Sort of toy you use regularly? Lol

Get yourself some dinner. Cheers mate.

Very interesting series Bryn. :)

Rather like the key hole shot.

Back