Something that combines animals, transport and sport! Horseback wooden stick pokey pokey

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
Not the typical sport/transportation stuff... It's Horseback wooden stick pokey pokey from the past or as it's otherwise known, Jousting!

I used the 200-400mm for the first round when I was stood at the far end. For the second round I used my 100mm F2.8L and shot from a kind of diagonal angle to the runs they did.

It was an interesting experience to photograph that's for sure! I used some AF focus points I'd never used before in order to frame the shots which was fun :) 100mm on my 70 was probably a little bit long but at least it means I get some good close/sharp shots. Well for the most part they're sharp! Both different positions had their own challenges and the light had faded a bit for the later round. This meant that I decided on 1/1000 at around F4 but looking back I might have wanted a smaller aperture and faster exposure but I didn't fancy the high ISO

Here's the whole album of just over 100 pics from 2 rounds of jousting yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/phal44/sets/72157646842676261/
And here's a few action shots :)
Sunday Jousting round 1 - (28) by Phal44, on Flickr
Sunday Jousting round 1 - (33) by Phal44, on Flickr
Sunday Jousting round 1 - (35) by Phal44, on Flickr
Sunday Jousting round 2 - (33) by Phal44, on Flickr

Last edited:
Look pretty damn sharp to my old eyes, love the timing to catch the poles breaking!

Yeah it's just luck of the draw really getting the shots at the right time. A nice shiny 1Dx would give me a few more options but the 70d does alright :D In the first shot I posted here you can see one of the metal end pieces flying off towards the top left.

In some cases I guess a bit more sunlight would have been handy since 1/1000 was still a bit slow to stop all blurring like this one:

Sunday Jousting round 2 - (64) by Phal44, on Flickr

In this one you can see the left rider getting the broken part to the face after the break

Sunday Jousting round 2 - (42) by Phal44, on Flickr

He got away with a large splinter in his eye slit so I guess those holes are narrow for a reason!

Sunday Jousting round 2 - (43) by Phal44, on Flickr

Sunday Jousting round 2 - (48) by Phal44, on Flickr

Sunday Jousting round 2 - (51) by Phal44, on Flickr

Brilliant, the photos are amazing it that, can you imagine being in the middle of that taking photos lol.

I don't think they'd let you be there lol

I've got some shots of a mock battle from the same event that the Jousting was at but it's not quite the same. It's like taking shots of a bunch of old dudes having a kickabout on a Sunday compared to Premiership Football. Proper full contact medieval combat with skilled participants would be awesome to shoot :D

Back