Sony 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 LE

Name
Asa
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm thinking of swapping my Sony 16-50mm + 55-210mm lenses for the 18-200mm LE (newer, black) super zoom. I mainly want it to avoid swapping lenses but I am wondering what the IQ will be like compared to my current lenses. I'm hoping it will be the same or preferably better as the lens costs a lot more than the two lenses combined.

I know the AE version (older, silver) is supposed to have better IQ but the newer version is much more compact and lighter which suits my needs.

Thanks for any input!
Asa

Be careful. My guess is that the IQ will be worse, although it might be hard to tell the difference with shots taken at f/8. I could be wrong, no specific knowledge of these lenses, just the general rule that even the best wide range zooms are rarely if ever as good as a narrower pair.

I did the same swap when I owned my A6000, but I went for the older silver version.

Not tried the newer 18-200 but I wish I had stayed with the 55-210 as it focused better and image quality was at least as good if not better.

The newer 18-200 may be better though - worth checking if all focus modes work with it. I seem to remember that I could only use centre point on the older 18-200 :(

Dave.

I doubt there would be much in it. Your swapping two not especially well regarded kit zooms for another not especially well regarded super zoom.

I recently got a a6000 with 1650, but for the past week ive been using a borrowed older 18-200 (silver venison).

To me eyes the 1650 is sharper at 100% magnification in LR, and i believe its still faster at 50mm. It takes nice shots though, and ive been happily using it, as it does save having to keep changing lenses.

Having 18-200 is great, its just a shame its so slow on the long end. I didnt sidereal there was a newer version though, i might look in to that one at some point.

Thanks for your input guys - I've decided to go for the lens as the practicalities of the whole focal range in one will be a worthy enough trade-off for my needs.

Cheers!

If you don't pixel-peep or mind slower AF and a bit of distortion/blurring at the edges of the frame then it will likely be fine.

I'm trying to decide over the 18200LE for more money or the 18200 silver one that's cheaper.

Optically I've read the silver one is better, but its bigger and heavier.

Main worry is, does the AF work well on the old silver one, or is the new LE version better.

If I'm bursting 11fps on either lens, will there be a difference?

I really didnt like the silver one much. It is heavy, and had terrible lens creep. It has a lock on it but you have to wind it in to 18mm to engage it. Hardly ideal.

AF was sluggish, although in good light it was fine. I got it to track a bus at 11fps and all were more than acceptable, but this was in good daylight. Indoors it can hunt quite a bit, especially at f/6.3 (never thought id be shooting indoors at that setting).
Ive not seen the LE version in the flesh but the images ive seen on line, especially with it attached to a NEX make it more attractive to me.

Ive got a 18-105 f/4 arriving today, if that doesn't show an IQ and AF improvement i might send it back and look in to the newer 18-200. It is very hand to have that range, and as Toni said, as long as you dont go pixel peeping it will produce good images.

I'll try and remember to let you guys know my thoughts on the 18-200LE when it arrives!

Hmmmm, looking more like I shouldnt be a cheap skate and get the LE

I'm trying to decide over the 18200LE for more money or the 18200 silver one that's cheaper.

Optically I've read the silver one is better, but its bigger and heavier.

Main worry is, does the AF work well on the old silver one, or is the new LE version better.

If I'm bursting 11fps on either lens, will there be a difference?

As I mentioned above - I am sure the older silver lens will only focus with the centre point. I owned one.

The 55-210 allowed multi focus points. Not sure which the newer 18-200 takes after but worth checking.

Hopefully someone can answer, so hard to find good info on the net as there's so much of it.

As I mentioned above - I am sure the older silver lens will only focus with the centre point. I owned one.

The 55-210 allowed multi focus points. Not sure which the newer 18-200 takes after but worth checking.

When you say multi focus points, is that all the little green squares that keep moving around if you have it on AF-C, or do you mean the larger green squares like on AF-S?

Ah, I don't want that, one of the main reasons I bought it.

Now need to confirm it works with the LE version.

Ive just tried the different AF mode's on my a6000 with the silver version and all seem to work fine. Wide, Multi zone and centre AF all work as expected.

I think it does matter what the FW is on camera, as far as the LE version goes; on Sony's website it says that to install the latest FW on the lens you have to have updated FW for the camera too.

Bugger! My missus missed my flash delivery the other day. It's so annoying.

Finally got it!

Here's my first impressions: It's solidly built, and does have quite a weight to it, I'm glad I didn't go for the larger silver version as this is definitely big enough! It came with FW Ver .02 already installed so I can't comment on FW Ver .01 but my lens focuses in all focus modes (area, wide, center, flexible spot etc.) and also focuses with the phase focus in AF-C just like the 55-210. It is grey overcast skies today but in my quick focus tests the 18-200 LE was just a hair off the focus speed of the 55-210. It was barely perceivable though and I've no doubt that in good light both of these lenses would be indistinguishable in terms of focus speed. The zoom ring is quite stiff but that means I don't have any worries with zoom creep so I'm happy with that.

I think I'm going to be very happy with this lens! For the type of shooting I do, having to swap lenses so often usually means I miss shots but with this thing I won't have to worry about that. I'm going to pick up some of the sigma primes for when I want a more compact carry, but usually if I'm taking this camera out with me it means I intend to be taking a lot of shots so I don't mind!

Hope this helps and thanks for everyone else's input!

Nice one, thanks for posting back.

I think ill pick one of these up later in the year, once we get better weather. f/6.3 puts me off. Its good to know its a bit smaller and lighter than the old silver one
When i was using my mates one i found i would grip the zoom ring and rotate the camera to zoom, it just felt more natural. His too was stiff, but still had bad lens creep. I hope this has been fixed on the new version. Maybe it was just the weight that was causing it.

I've been using my new 18-105 f/4 a lot and love that it doesn't extend, but of course that means its big all the time ;-)

Here's two test images from the 18mm end and the 200mm end.

If anyone wants the RAW files just send me a PM.

Is it me or doe the 18mm image quality look poor? One mean looking cloud though!

The robin also, but this could be due to low light?

Or have they lost quality being posted on a forum and resized?

These were processed to bring the light levels to normal, but no noise reduction or sharpening was applied. The one with the cloud is also shown at 1024x591 rather than the full 5818x3358 :rolleyes:

Constraints of my image hosting website I suppose, like I said though if you want the RAW files to look at in detail or play around with, just PM me your e-mail and I'll send the full files over.

Back