Sony A7 plus 28-70 @ £999

So tempted by this deal... Dunno whether to go for this deal or get a Nikon D610.. or even a LX100 I know completely different things but this camera is probably overkill for me!

The A7 II is on the way so might be worth just holding on till release and the A7's will come down in price even more.

That is tempting! If I had not just purchased a GX7 and 4 lenses ...... bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Sensible buyers might want to wait for mk3 when all silly things like low res EVF are sorted. Even then it is a great price for a very capable setup.

low res EVF? the EVF is stunning, best on the market IMO

low res EVF? the EVF is stunning, best on the market IMO

1,024 x 768 RGB pixels

I am sure there are better out there today, let alone what is possible. To my eyes that resolution is unusable.

1,024 x 768 RGB pixels

I am sure there are better out there today, let alone what is possible. To my eyes that resolution is unusable.

Hardly 'low res' though, by any measure that's a very high resolution screen given its size. The first 3 a7 reviews that just came up in a search mentioned 'very high resolution EVF' and 'high resolution EVF', and it's received pretty much universal praise. It's actually higher resolution than the highly regarded X-T1 EVF.

I wouldn't expect any massive leaps in that area when the Mk3 comes along as to the vast majority of people it's an exceptional EVF, I would imagine AF and battery life would be much higher on the priority list.

Last edited:
1,024 x 768 RGB pixels

have you actually used one?

i've put nearly 5000 shots through mine, in all sorts of conditions and i've used it for some of my most important shoots i've ever had- so it's certainly usable- of course there will be better EVF's coming on to the market, but that's just the tech industry for you...
and I'm pretty sure that sony will still be leading the way in EVF technology

Last edited:
have you actually used one?

i've put nearly 5000 shots through mine, in all sorts of conditions and i've used it for some of my most important shoots i've ever had- so it's certainly usable- of course there will be better EVF's coming on to the market, but that's just the tech industry for you...
and I'm pretty sure that sony will still be leading the way in EVF technology

Fuji X-T1 has the best EVF on the market afaik, it was better than my A7 EVF, so Sony isnt leading the market.

Last edited:
Fuji X-T1 has the best EVF on the market afaik, it was better than my A7 EVF, so Sony isnt leading the market.

I think there's debate around that, UKASKEW above says the a7 evf is better, having never used the x-t1 I wouldn't know...
perfectly happy with the a7 evf though

I think there's debate around that, UKASKEW above says the a7 evf is better, having never used the x-t1 I wouldn't know...
perfectly happy with the a7 evf though

Both are 2.36 million dots, the X-T1 is 0.77x vs 0.71x mag of the Sony and the X-T1 has the worlds fastest refresh rate.

Back