Sony A7S + Leica Lenses

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I've been contemplating a new setup with an A7S and Leica 50mm 1.4 Summilux - I've never been a 50mm kinda guy but I'm also interested in the 55mm 1.8 FE and Mitakon Speedmaster Mk II 50mm F/0.95.

I have read that the Leica lenses do not adapt well to the A7 and A7R, but the A7S handle them much better.
Also wide open apertures may not be sharp to the edge as they would on a Leica body.

Does anyone have sample of the A7S with a variety of lenses, in particular those mentioned - mostly interested in the 50mm 1.4 LUX and 50mm 0.95 - but also open minded about other suggestions.

My foremost priority is portrait, bokeh, low light :)

Useful thread A7S vs Lenses
http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?page_id=310

adorables 50s
http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?optio...mes-battle&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

Last edited:
I have a hand in both setups, but in my view it doesn't make sense to buy the two to use together. If you already have the Leica lenses and want a second body to use them on I think it's great but as you say the Leica lenses don't work as well as they would on the bodies they are made for...

I have a hand in both setups, but in my view it doesn't make sense to buy the two to use together. If you already have the Leica lenses and want a second body to use them on I think it's great but as you say the Leica lenses don't work as well as they would on the bodies they are made for...

Thanks,

I considered if I built up some Leica lenses like the 35mm CRON etc, I could one day make a move to a Leica body.

But forgetting that, I like the A7S for the low light ability in a smaller than DSLR body, that I can use a silent shutter on. If not Leica, what lens would you buy to compliment it?

If you like manual lenses you could take a look at the new Loxia 35 and 50mm f2's. Personally I'm happy with the image quality the likes of Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD offer. Of the ones I have the Minolta's are the best.

Whatever, with the A7 series bodies you're spoilt for choice with what you can mount.

The A7 range of cameras are all nice bits of kit. Do you already have Leica lenses? If not I would not bother as they are way over priced for what they are. If your after manual focus you can get Nikon adapters and use Nikons superb f1.2 glass. Though I already had a Minolta 50mm f1.4 so just use that.

The A7 range of cameras are all nice bits of kit. Do you already have Leica lenses? If not I would not bother as they are way over priced for what they are. If your after manual focus you can get Nikon adapters and use Nikons superb f1.2 glass. Though I already had a Minolta 50mm f1.4 so just use that.

I have a 5dM3 and Canon glass 85mm 1.2 II, CZ 21mm 2.8, 40mm 2.8, 135mm f2, 200mm f2.. so if I was going to buy DSLR glass it'll more likely be Canon.

However in general I was avoiding DSLR glass as it generally tends to be bigger. That's one thing I like about the Leica M - the glass is smaller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item234720c9a7

50mm 1.0 :D

I would also consider that the A7S only has 12 megapixels and a milk bottle could resolve out the sensor. Ok some exaggeration but 12 (very large) megapixels don't need the best Leica has to offer. a7R maybe not withstanding corner issues.

Plenty of cheap 50 1.4's out there that be more than adequate for 12 megapixels

Plenty of cheap 50 1.4's out there that be more than adequate for 12 megapixels

Sharpness isn't a priority, whilst I'd like it not to look like it was out of focus.. I prefer the best bokeh, image rendering style and pop I can find - all pretty subjective requirements though.

I've been contemplating a new setup with an A7S and Leica 50mm 1.4 Summilux - I've never been a 50mm kinda guy but I'm also interested in the 55mm 1.8 FE and Mitakon Speedmaster Mk II 50mm F/0.95.

I have read that the Leica lenses do not adapt well to the A7 and A7R, but the A7S handle them much better.
Also wide open apertures may not be sharp to the edge as they would on a Leica body.

Does anyone have sample of the A7S with a variety of lenses, in particular those mentioned - mostly interested in the 50mm 1.4 LUX and 50mm 0.95 - but also open minded about other suggestions.

My foremost priority is portrait, bokeh, low light :)

The only lens problems I've heard about relate to very wide focal lengths, non-retrofocus designs, eg Leica rangefinder types. Basically the lens is very close to the sensor and image areas towards the edges strike the sensor at a very oblique angle, setting up problems in the sensor's filter stack. You should be okay with 50mm I'd have thought.

You could save a load of money and try a Canon FD f/1.2 on the A7. I have one and it's really very good. You'll have loads of money spare so you can add a Canon FD 85 f/1.2 as well.

You could save a load of money and try a Canon FD f/1.2 on the A7. I have one and it's really very good. You'll have loads of money spare so you can add a Canon FD 85 f/1.2 as well.

I will see if I can find some examples on the A7S

Big, heavy slr lenses, kind of defeat your objective dont they.

Yes mostly, for 1.4 I wouldn't want to go bigger than the Leica Lux
However if I'm considering 0.95..

The canon 0.95 with adapter doesn't look massive really, length wise

View attachment 27178

All that said, I'd still consider the 50mm Lux and 35mm Cron - even though people think it's a bad idea..

Yes mostly, for 1.4 I wouldn't want to go bigger than the Leica Lux
However if I'm considering 0.95..

The canon 0.95 with adapter doesn't look massive really, length wise

View attachment 27178

All that said, I'd still consider the 50mm Lux and 35mm Cron - even though people think it's a bad idea..

Not bad length wise, its the girth. Still better than I thought.

I am tempted by all the combinations people have listed so far lol. If the Canon f0.95 was cheaper I would grab one just as they look kind of cool. There was a native FE speedmaster one on ebay just the other week that was selling for not a lot. I deleted it off my watch list on its last day so I did not get tempted. I know I have a load of old fast lenses kicking about that I used on high speed video rigs I may go have a look for them and see if people sell adapters for them.

I've like the 50mm range and I've owned some very nice and expensive 50-58mm lenses and even I'd get the Sony 55mm F/1.8 FE. You get superb quality and autofocus for a price that is a relative steal.

I've like the 50mm range and I've owned some very nice and expensive 50-58mm lenses and even I'd get the Sony 55mm F/1.8 FE. You get superb quality and autofocus for a price that is a relative steal.

I suggested that to him in his OTHER thread ;)

From what I've seen the 55FE doesn't have much character though, it's just sharp. Which is fine for some things, but I'm concerned about it as a choice for bokehlicious photos :p

I'm not sure I'd want to buy an A7S just to have that as my ~50

All you have to do is just get a M240, problem solved.

Maybe I won't blow ALL of the money I've saved in these last couple of months - but if i wait another month or two, it won't be ALL my money :D

Maybe I won't blow ALL of the money I've saved in these last couple of months - but if i wait another month or two, it won't be ALL my money :D

You saved?! What the hell is wrong with you. You know, since you got married youve really changed, its as if I dont even recognise you anymore.

You saved?! What the hell is wrong with you. You know, since you got married youve really changed, its as if I dont even recognise you anymore.

What I mean by "save", is too busy with going on holiday and sorting out my car and planning a new kitchen to buy anything else :p

I just know a bit about Canon RF lenses but the 0.95 dream lens is supposed to be notoriously soft - the 1.2 isn't much better and the 1.4 is the version which is said to be as good as the 1st version Summilux. I have the 50mm 1.4 and it has some very nice qualities to it, if you don't mind the vintage look. Sharpness is surprisingly good.

If it's bokeh you want then Minolta MC 58mm f1.4 and Rikenon 50mm f1.4 will do just nicely. They have crazy bokeh. I also had the Canon FL 58mm f1.2 on my A7R, didn't particularly rate it especially compared to the Minolta which did everything the Canon could only with less adapter hassle and less cost.

I will keep these lenses in mind, trying to find samples on them on the A7S body isn't easy though. After the business with the Leica lenses, I don't think I can assume any lens would behave as it does on it's native body.

I will keep these lenses in mind, trying to find samples on them on the A7S body isn't easy though. After the business with the Leica lenses, I don't think I can assume any lens would behave as it does on it's native body.

Dont forget most of the lenses are going to have big adapters due to reg distance as they are SLR lenses, I think its only contax G / Pen / LTM & LM that have small adapters the rest are pretty huge. Its an issue I had when trying to find decent lenses at less stupid prices. Contax G is very good but the adapters and focusing them is a PITA.

You thought DSLR lenses were expensive but youre going to have to cough up for a compact system with decent small MF only glass.

Last edited:

The problems are AFAIK limited to specific lenses/lens designs. AFAIK you shouldn't have any serious issues with old SLR lenses. I'm happy with the performance of my Rokkor, Zuiko and FD 50mm f1.4's, of them the Rokkor is the best.

Just had my first day out with the native 55mm f1.8. It seems very nice and I don't really understand the criticisms. Yes, older lenses can be soft and have CA, distortion and questionable bokeh :D but being just... good shouldn't be held against a lens :D

The problems are AFAIK limited to specific lenses/lens designs. AFAIK you shouldn't have any serious issues with old SLR lenses. I'm happy with the performance of my Rokkor, Zuiko and FD 50mm f1.4's, of them the Rokkor is the best.

Just had my first day out with the native 55mm f1.8. It seems very nice and I don't really understand the criticisms. Yes, older lenses can be soft and have CA, distortion and questionable bokeh :D but being just... good shouldn't be held against a lens :D

Agreed, Rokkors are good and dirt cheap.

... your average 50 1.4 SLR lens.... hardly compact is it. And IME the balance isnt great because the old lenses are rather heavy.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/11158928463_4251083cce_b.jpg

Yes, it is rather compact isn't it? Even with the adapter. Care to compare that package to something like a Sigma 50mm ART? A Rokkor + adapter is? About the same? A smidge longer/shorter than the old Sigma 50mm f1.4 but much narrower.

These are becoming my most posted images...

With a lens and adapter the aperture and focus rings fall nicely to hand. Bulk and handling just aren't issues.

Last edited:
Yes, it is rather compact isn't it? Even with the adapter. Care to compare that package to something like a Sigma 50mm ART? A Rokkor + adapter is? About the same? A smidge longer/shorter than the old Sigma 50mm f1.4 but much narrower.

These are becoming my most posted images...

With a lens the aperture and focus rings fall nicely to hand. Bulk and handling just aren't issues.

I know what Dans looking for and its not a lens with a big adapter. Gee, I wonder if the rokkor is smaller a) because its nowhere near as good as a Sigma 50mm and b) because its got no AF :rolleyes:

I think everyones seen your ramblings about that combination and A7 in general by now. And no, its still not compact like a LM lens, which is what hes looking for unless the aperture is super fast, then he'll consider additional size. I might be mistaken though, but doubt it.

Back