Sony RX1 thread

i was nearly ready to press the buy now button when a friend of mine pick one up in japan for 1600 pound.The only thing he could not get is the EVF but is flying back there next month and that will give me the time to make my mind up.

Nice price!

Just starting to read your blog Tobers. Thanks for pointing us to it.

Love the "man logic" bit Tobers. :D

You mention the hesitation with the AF...is it comparable to how the Fuji reacts? Have you attempted to shoot moving objects at all? Maybe inside your house or somewhere without too good a light source?

I've not tried moving objects at all. Also, I haven't owned the Fuji X-Pro1, just played with it in the shops, so I'm not really qualified to comment.

I think the best way to think of it is that the OM-D autofocus speed is bloody quick, and if you hadn't used an OM-D then you'd think the RX1 is just fine.

I've added a few more pics to that blog post, a sample below:

i-sNv4XpZ-M.jpg

i-kS6MHwQ-M.jpg

Lightroom v4.3 came out yesterday which has RAW support for the RX1, so I shot some pics in RAW. Here's one of them. Super detail and sharpness which is very reminiscent of my M9 and Zeiss 2/50. This is at f/2 (click for a bigger pic).

Oak by Tobers, on Flickr

Definitely a very nice piece of kit. Here's a shot at 1/2000th f/2 ISO50 in direct sun (from the right) lit with 4 flashes (580EXII, 2x Yongnuo YN568EX and a YN560-II) with the 580 triggered by Pocket Wizard from the RX1, and the Yongnuo flashes in optical slave mode (S1). Flashes are through an umbrella in the direction I'm looking.

i-gRzd8zK-L.jpg

Is this the future for cameras, FF compact?

It certainly ticks a few boxes for me and when they produce one that you can change the lenses on I will be all over it.

If you believe Sony Alpha Rumors that will be out by the end of 2013 ...

Is this the future for cameras, FF compact?

I wouldn't think so as the price is high for a camera that is ultimately more in the compact user group than a DSLR.

I think it is great that Sony have the courage to produce and sell it though as the market will always be pretty small at the price it has to be, anyone know what the sales/take up has been?

I wouldn't think so as the price is high for a camera that is ultimately more in the compact user group than a DSLR.

I'm not so sure it's for a compact user group, not in the sense of a digital compact user group anyway.

What I've been waiting for is a truly direct replacement for the quality 35mm compacts and RF's that I and many of us used years ago. The RX1 isn't it as it doesn't have a built in VF but it's the closest thing we've seen to a direct replacement so far.

I'm quite hopeful that my ideal will actually be available in the next year or so.

I also like the direction it is going but at £2000 the market is still very limited and most people spending £2000 will still get a DSLR.
What I meant by compact user group is that I can't see it being used for professional use (rightly or wrongly) in place of a DSLR.

Looks like I'm the only one with this camera at the moment. Some more pics for you.

Ewhurst Brick Works by Tobers, on Flickr

Burberry by Tobers, on Flickr

Bored by Tobers, on Flickr

There's another user review here on Steve Huff's site.

Having such a tiny powerhouse with me all the time is extremely convenient. It's a bit like having a 5D in your pocket. The other very nice thing with it is that anyone can use it so my wife & kids have been clicking away just like using any other point & shoot, and when I want to get serious I've got a really professional tool to hand.

Tobers said:
Looks like I'm the only one with this camera at the moment. Some more pics for you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobinators/8365055618/
Ewhurst Brick Works by Tobers, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobinators/8340721869/
Burberry by Tobers, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobinators/8340721947/
Bored by Tobers, on Flickr

There's another user review here on Steve Huff's site.

Having such a tiny powerhouse with me all the time is extremely convenient. It's a bit like having a 5D in your pocket. The other very nice thing with it is that anyone can use it so my wife & kids have been clicking away just like using any other point & shoot, and when I want to get serious I've got a really professional tool to hand.

Not surprising your the only one given the price ;)

I've not really seen much to make me go 'wow' from this camera, love the concept, but not the price.

But... That first brick works shot is very nice, looks like high contrast and dynamic range shot and looks to have taken a very balanced shot, is that SOOC?

I'm trying hard to get you some wow shots...

These are using the high flash sync speed of the RX1, at 1/1600th and 1/2000th with off camera flash triggered by Pocket Wizard Plus II's. Shot at f/2 to get background separation.

I0000ioXdKFBgqTM.jpg

I0000amBhp2W6DoI.jpg

I0000bc2rfgemKeY.jpg

Interestingly, it's not so much the image quality (which you could get with a 5D or similar), but the overall package that impresses me. It is literally like having a 5D and top notch pin sharp 35mm lens that goes in your pocket - very very nice indeed.

Last edited:
I'm trying hard to get you some wow shots...

These are using the high flash sync speed of the RX1, at 1/1600th and 1/2000th with off camera flash triggered by Pocket Wizard Plus II's. Shot at f/2 to get background separation.

I0000ioXdKFBgqTM.jpg

I0000amBhp2W6DoI.jpg

I0000bc2rfgemKeY.jpg

Interestingly, it's not so much the image quality (which you could get with a 5D or similar), but the overall package that impresses me. It is literally like having a 5D and top notch pin sharp 35mm lens that goes in your pocket - very very nice indeed.

Beautiful shots.

Yep, beautiful shots. 3rd is the pick of them for me.

Half the problem with me, is I prefer 50mm FL. 35 is a bit wide IMO, but I suppose I could adapt...if I could afford it in the first place! Prices moved at all since you got yours?

I'm still feeling a bit lonely with the RX1. A couple of weeks on - prices are holding steady by the look of it.

What I like best is that I have an amazing quality camera in such a small package. It gives the flexibility to go from lovely shallow depth of field pictures at f/2 to a full front to back amazingly sharp image with extremly high detail levels and excellent dynamic range and high sensitivity. Exposure metering is uncanningly good (helped by the large dynamic range) and auto white balance is spot on.

The drawback is obviously the fixed 35mm lens but this doesn't bug me as I have other cameras with long lenses if I want them. 35mm on full frame is lovely for all sorts of photography though and it does help with creativity. A dual-camera travel setup of the RX1 and RX100 would be very interesting indeed and should cover all eventualities. I'd also like to be able to configure the lowest shutter speed when using auto ISO (it defaults to 1/80th and you can't change it).

A couple more pictures...

At ISO 2500:

Lobby by Tobers, on Flickr

At f/8

Distrito C by Tobers, on Flickr

Last edited:
interesting read, thanks.
I don't know about the RX1 but the current SLTs have a setting in the menu to allow the EVF (& I presume rear screen) to gain up when used in studios etc. thus avoiding the black screen issue that you commented on.

interesting read, thanks.
I don't know about the RX1 but the current SLTs have a setting in the menu to allow the EVF (& I presume rear screen) to gain up when used in studios etc. thus avoiding the black screen issue that you commented on.

Ah - thanks for that! It's obscurely called "Life View Display - Setting Effect". If it's set to ON, then the display shows what the actual exposure will look like. If set to OFF, it shows the scene as your eye would see it. That would have been v.useful to know last week.

Ah - thanks for that! It's obscurely called "Life View Display - Setting Effect". If it's set to ON, then the display shows what the actual exposure will look like. If set to OFF, it shows the scene as your eye would see it. That would have been v.useful to know last week.

It's called similar on NEX7.
I have been lurking here (and on RX100 forum) trying to convince myself that I don't need another camera :D.

Yep, thats a very good price for the RX1. I love the little thing - image quality is fantastic. I had a large pic in The Independent the other day that looked fab, and did another set with my dance pals which was just super.

Anyone else really interested in this camera? I have to say it's growing on me. Pricey, but a huge amount cheaper than a Leica M with a 35 f/2 lens. The first reviews are coming in (see Steve Huff below) and looking impressive...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/...view-part-1-an-intro-to-a-compact-powerhouse/

The only thing it has in common with a Leica M is that its full frame, apart from that its nothing like it.

A fairer comparison would be a Leica X2.

As for huff I dont see how he can say the lens is incredibly sharp when some of his images show softness and also noise in low light.

iancandler said:
The only thing it has in common with a Leica M is that its full frame, apart from that its nothing like it.

A fairer comparison would be a Leica X2.

As for huff I dont see how he can say the lens is incredibly sharp when some of his images show softness and also noise in low light.

According to DxOmark, the Rx1 is better than an M9 in every respect. Better colour, better DR and better high ISO noise (by as much as 1.7 stops).

In that respect, you're right. The Rx1 is nothing like a Leica M. It's much better (assuming you only want a 35mm lens) and cheaper.

The Leica is a different beast in a different price category. The RX1 looks to perform well and an RX2 where you could change lenses would get serious attention from a lot of people.

Laudrup said:
The Leica is a different beast in a different price category. The RX1 looks to perform well and an RX2 where you could change lenses would get serious attention from a lot of people.

Not possible, with that sized body. There's so little room available, the shutter is in the lens rather than between the lens and the sensor. At least that's what Sony said.

But there will be a FF NEX. I'm convinced of that. Probably about a year from now.

There's also rumour of an Rx10 with an APS-C sensor. It'll be interesting to see whether it has a fixed or zoom lens. A fixed 24/2 would be rather tempting, if the price was right.

Last edited:
A full frame NEX would be a good idea. I used to have a Leica M9 and use the M glass via adapter on my Sony NEX5 which produced pleasing results. If Sigma got their DP2 Foeveon sensor up to full frame that would be interesting as the DP2 Merrill gives a good account of itself.

Have been eyeing my SLR and lenses, they really don't get used since I got my RX100, very very tempted to chop it all in for an RX1. Retail for around 1600-1700GBP at the mo. Hmmm.

Back