Sony RX1 thread

Have been eyeing my SLR and lenses, they really don't get used since I got my RX100, very very tempted to chop it all in for an RX1. Retail for around 1600-1700GBP at the mo. Hmmm.

Not sure if I understood you correctly but you won't get RX1 for 1700GBP. For this price I would be all over it :D.
On the other hand every time I get close to the purchase I manage to convince myself that NEX7 with Zeiss 24/1.8 or Fuji X100 must produce similar results.

Not sure if I understood you correctly but you won't get RX1 for 1700GBP. For this price I would be all over it :D.
On the other hand every time I get close to the purchase I manage to convince myself that NEX7 with Zeiss 24/1.8 or Fuji X100 must produce similar results.

Check my location ;)

Actually, I hadn't been keeping an eye on FX rates, jeez, the pound has really taken a kicking lately! Not an issue for me mind...

I like Steve Huff as well. He at least owns the camera and seems to make great photos with it. He owns Leica and Olympus too so he doesn't seem to be a captive of one manufacturer. I also think the picture quality from this camera is awesome. It's in a niche and has no competition so the price is the price.

What's the AF like in dimmer light, from reviews it's very slow?

I can't directly answer your question but what I would say is take the use of phrases like 'very slow' with a massive pinch of salt. It seems these days that unless a camera focuses as fast as a 1d with an L series lens it is 'very slow' much like anything you can't drop of a cliff has toy like build quality. The internet breeds hyperbole that is often not reflected in the real world.

I can't directly answer your question but what I would say is take the use of phrases like 'very slow' with a massive pinch of salt. It seems these days that unless a camera focuses as fast as a 1d with an L series lens it is 'very slow' much like anything you can't drop of a cliff has toy like build quality. The internet breeds hyperbole that is often not reflected in the real world.

I know what you mean, but Id classify very slow as X100 in dim light, it struggles to AF and when it does its not accurate, in good light its fine. Id love this camera but if it cant AF in slightly tricky light eg indoors/dim/artificial light etc. for my own purposes its not worth buying.

Regarding prices, I reckon the more realistic market price for this camera is more around £1999 than the current £2600. I have to say though, it is an amazing piece of kit and if you have the money you can't do better in my opinion.

What's the AF like in dimmer light, from reviews it's very slow?

This is a "compared to what" question. With the autofocus assist light off, the RX1 is slower to focus than an Olympus OM-D and a Canon 1DIV (two cameras I have to compare with) and pretty much the same as a Fuji X-Pro1 that I've played with recently.

Picked up an electronic viewfinder for £320 today from the Sony Centre in Tottenham Court Rd. They also have the RX1 at £2499 instead of list of £2799.

Still really enjoying the camera. The image quality is superb and it's so teeny.

Bold by Tobers, on Flickr

Spiky by Tobers, on Flickr

Lovely, very good

You may well be but it does seem a niche within a niche product. It would be my ideal camera but I dabble in the £200 used market so that is why I don't have one!

You may well be but it does seem a niche within a niche product. It would be my ideal camera but I dabble in the £200 used market so that is why I don't have one!

The only reason I don't have one is I'm johnny-no-money. :(

Know what you mean. I've put mine to work and it's paid for itself already which is nice. It's a big price, but wonderful if you can stretch to it.

I'm thinking I may be the only person on here with an RX1. Is that right? Beginning to feel like billy-no-mates.

I was so so close to joining you, but...I bottled out of a single fix lens camera...Still not sure whether I made the right decision :thinking:

I'm thinking I may be the only person on here with an RX1. Is that right? Beginning to feel like billy-no-mates.

Probably, but keep posting pics, we can all dream!

I'd have one in a heartbeat but simply could not justify the cost, despite the amount of use it would undoubtably get. £1500 would have been my tipping point. As it is the X100 does everything I could want of a fixed lens compact alongside my 'main' body (X-E1).

I saw the RX1R announcement. TBH I'm struggling to see how the images could be sharper than they are already, as they are 100% amazing from the plain old RX1.

On another topic, I'm likely to pick up the new RX100II when it comes out - with a hotshoe it becomes far more powerful for the sort of thing I like doing (high sync speed off camera flash) and provides a good high quality teeny travel camera with zoom flexibility.

And whilst we're waiting for that new RX100II to be released, here's another poppy shot...

Poppies by Tobers, on Flickr

I saw the RX1R announcement. TBH I'm struggling to see how the images could be sharper than they are already, as they are 100% amazing from the plain old RX1.

On another topic, I'm likely to pick up the new RX100II when it comes out - with a hotshoe it becomes far more powerful for the sort of thing I like doing (high sync speed off camera flash) and provides a good high quality teeny travel camera with zoom flexibility.

And whilst we're waiting for that new RX100II to be released, here's another poppy shot...

Poppies by Tobers, on Flickr

That's an utterly beautiful image!

I was wondering the same as I'm looking for practical opinions on the RX1, I've been disappointed with the A7 announcements as I was hoping for a few small primes to make it a compact package overall but not interested in the current lenses they have. I've tried an NEX camera but again disappointed by the lens size, the 50mm F1.8 is quite a big lens and the 35mm looks similar. So that brought me back to the RX1 which I noticed a local camera shop had in second hand for £1,800 which I realise is the same as they grey import prices but would prefer to buy from the shop as they are a proper camera shop and they offer a warranty. I went up today and had a look but my initial impression was it's just a bit too big for me as I don't think it would fit comfortably in a jacket pocket although that's not a criticism of the camera itself as it's incredibly small for what it is. To get my money's worth it's a camera I'd need to be taking everywhere with me as I do currently the RX100, the D700 stays at home most of the time but just love working with its raw files which is why the RX1 really appeals.

John

So, my non sports kit is now starting to look like this:

- Sony RX100 II for carrying about everywhere
- Sony RX1 for full frame 35mm gorgeousness, with EVF which also fits the RX100
- Sony A7R with 21, 50, 90 and 135 manual focus (probably M-mount) for full frame gorgeousness either side of the RX1's 35mm.

The latter two will give me a very lightweight twin body setup for all my commercial work that isn't action sport. Everything from portrait to environmental stuff (brochures & suchlike). It'll also be a great travel/landscape setup. All paid for by my picture taking by the way, which is always nice.

I'll keep my 1D's for sports, and probably sell my Olympus OMD-EM5 and associated lenses.

I'm working out which lenses to get. I'll wait a bit on the 21 - the Voigtlander 21 1.8 looks interesting. For the 50 I'll probably go to a Zeiss Planar again like I had for my M9. The 90 will be a Leica 2.8 and the 135 will be a Leica f4, both second hand for not a lot of money - £700 for the pair I reckon.

So that's the plan - just waiting on the A7R to turn up...

Thanks for the prompt answer, I was thinking against the RX1 and that's confirmed it as I'm wanting an RX100 replacement in terms of a camera to carry everywhere and that's not the RX1. Although thinking more about it even if it was a bit smaller I'm not sure I would take it with me when cycling and similar as I'd be too scared to damage it.

I've kept an eye on the RX100 mk II, the wifi is appealing and the sensor is meant to be better but not sure it's worth changing the RX100 for as it's still doing a decent job.

John

I've been offered an RX1, near new condition but without box for 1100 quid, is it worth a punt at that price?

I've been offered an RX1, near new condition but without box for 1100 quid, is it worth a punt at that price?

I would say so (I personally would buy it if one came up for that price), despite a lot of naysaying when the Sony A7 came out and talk of used RX1s for $1000 in the States, you very, very rarely see a bargain RX1 in the UK, they've held value pretty well.

£1300 is the average eBay used price.

I have really fancied the RX1R for some time now but is it two grand better than my brilliantly pocketable RX100? So far I am not seeing sufficient added value to buy it and the price does not seem to be shifting downwards.

I am getting lazy as I get older, I have (and love) my D7100 and bag of good Nikon glass but I just cannot be bothered to carry it around any more.

Ricky, if you can get the RX1 for £1,100 and you are able to verify it as a fault-free minter, grab it!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was planning on picking up the RX100iii but an RX1 at that price is mighty tempting. I'll be honest it's only the "slow" AF which is putting me off and even then it seems like slow is quite a personal definition. The lack of built-in viewfinder doesn't worry me and the lack of ND filter is a shame but not major. Obviously there is still a 100% price premium but something about the RX1 is calling to me and at that price I figure I wouldn't lose too much even if Sony do announce the RX1ii/RX2 in September.

Took the plunge, RX1 on the way :) ordered a hood, filter and soft release but think that'll do as I want to keep it quite light. I was lucky enough to get to test one at the local Sony Store and the AF was good enough for me and everything else was great. Sony only offered me 5% off the RRP (n) so I bought the second hand one for half the RRP instead :)

My RX1R is on the way :D have already ordered a B+W CPL, 5 batteries + charger, 49mm adapter for Lee kit....

Just trying to decide whether to get the EVF or wait until I receive it :D I think I should probably wait..

My RX1R is on the way :D have already ordered a B+W CPL, 5 batteries + charger, 49mm adapter for Lee kit....

Just trying to decide whether to get the EVF or wait until I receive it :D I think I should probably wait..

Which charger did you go for?

My RX1 arrived yesterday, stunning bit of kit. Got it used with 3 batteries for £1100, very pleased with that. I'm also undecided on the EVF, going to see how I get on with it just through the LCD first I think.

Which charger did you go for?

My RX1 arrived yesterday, stunning bit of kit. Got it used with 3 batteries for £1100, very pleased with that. I'm also undecided on the EVF, going to see how I get on with it just through the LCD first I think.

I haven't bought the EVF, not sure I will at this moment in time either. It's a nice surprise to find that the image is better than you thought when using the LCD in bright light.

I got these chargers each with two batteries, I can't be certain but i think the DSTE charges more quickly..I noticed a couple of times it was green first, but with the assortment of batteries I have and the variable of remaining capacity - it's a very unscientific guess :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IWU2DHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IWU2DHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few weeks in and for the first time (after a lot of gear) I can honestly not think of owning anything else now, the silence, size and weight have come at a perfect time for me, what with this little one arriving on the scene.

Well reported AF issues are, well, a non-issue. Lots of very dark high ISO shooting but it always nails focus exactly where I'm asking it to, despite my son rarely staying still.

Still holding off on the EVF, not getting outside much and the LCD is perfectly good for everything I've used it for so far.

Henry by Harry_S, on Flickr

Henry by Harry_S, on Flickr

My only issue...have so far purchased two soft release buttons and neither work, they screw in but not far enough to actually operate the shutter!

Last edited:
Back