Sony RX100

Wife has a RX100 Mk.1 and has been snapping all summer with it. I also use it occassionally and I do think its a fabulous camera, but the one thing we struggle with is the screen in certain lights, and so are looking to get the Mk.3 with the EVF.

Sold my Canon S95 a month ago and have been waiting for a RX100 to hit the classifieds. Found a Mk1 this week and I am instantly impressed with the IQ quality, so a happy bunny.

Bag purchased, screen protectors ordered, Sony grip arrived and fitted, spare battery on its way. \o/

On my D7000 I shoot in manual with Auto ISO on, so was disappointed not to find that on the RX100. Suppose I need to work out the best button config in either S or A to sort of replicate that?

Just bought an rx100 for the wife for xmas, did have the canon eos m, buy was a bit too big and heavy for her, even with the small 22m lens. Had a quick go in currys with one, and she liked it, and its tiny and very light ! :). Will end up paying £279 for it, 349 - £40 cash back and £30 O2 discount, so happy ! Was very tempted by mkii version, but was heavier, and couldn't justify the extra £100 for wifi, tilt screen and arguably better low light sensor.

After much digging, appears that the mk1 and mk2 models don't allow Auto-ISO in M, but the mk3 does....... don't think I can afford the mk3 just yet, so will have to try and learn to live without it on this mk1, see how I get on. :(

Totally loving my Mk II. Using it all the time at the moment and can't see me getting bored of it as it's so easy to get good shots from it. Much more useful for me than my D60 was.

Ok, here's my beef with my new (2nd hand) mk1 RX100.

95% of the time i'm shooting my young kids. When i'm using my D7000 I slip it into Manual with Auto ISO. I'm usually somewhere around 1/250 and f4 by default then let the light (and ISO) decide whether I need to tweak either Aperture or Shutter Speed. Having only two things to worry about and having both on their own dial is perfect for me letting the camera deal with ISO.

But I have don't appear to have anywhere near that level on control on the RX100 as Sony in their wisdom don't allow Auto ISO in manual, but they do in A, S and P.

I used to use my Canon S95 as a P&S and for the most part I did just that. But with this I wanted to use it just like my dSLR, but I can't.

I stick the RX100 in shutter Priority at 1/250 and it seems obsessed with shooting at 1.8. Only way to con it into going higher is mess with the auto-iso settings and put minimum ISO at 400/800, which is no good to anyone.

In Aperture priority I can set it at f4 and it almost always leave the shutter at 1/30 when wide open and changes as you zoom sticking to focal length or a calculation thereof for handheld shooting.

P has potential, but as you twist the wheel you just hope that its possible to keep the shutter speed high and aperture around f4 as it makes a guess about ISO.

I want to love this camera and I do love the output (when i've manage to use the settings I wanted to), but I feel so out of control. I naively assumed all decent cameras these days would do Auto ISO in M?

Yes, you will say put it in manual and choose your ISO. Whilst that might be fine for a portrait or a landscape, its not good when chasing a 3 and 5 year old around having to hunt around in menus as 3 parameters don't fit onto 2 dials.

Damnit Sony, surely a firmware upgrade could fix this, but they want you to buy the mk3 instead where they've added Auto ISO in Manual.

Any thoughts, help or advice would be very much appreciated.

I guess their thinking was near everyone will not be using manual settings for aperture and priority and not want to use manual for ISO as well, i,e, all manual.
I shall go check my M3..... yep, put it in manual and auto ISO, thats the first and last time it will be put into manual mode :)
I hear where you are coming from and your frustration, but is no Auto in manual a real big deal sort of thing? It is supposed to be a point and shoot! :)

Took it out this afternoon, love the IQ, got some great pics of the kids, but can't get on without Auto-ISO in M.

P, A and S with Auto-ISO all worked as I thought they would (above), ie not what i'm after. Unfortunately. I really don't think I can live with it like that.

Can't really afford a mk3, maybe a G7X or maybe look again at a M43 combo? :(

I've found the Auto ISO on the S95 to be not that good. It made some changes that I wouldn't have made. With the S95 higher ISOs are a problem, but the RX100 is a lot better, so I would choose an ISO 800 which could cover most situations, but only you can say whether that would suit you.

As mentioned above, I have a Canon S95 but have looked longingly at each RX100 as the size and designs were so similar, at least for the RX100 mark 1. I was intrigued by the viewfinder of the RX100 III and got the chance to have a look at one in a local shop. :eek: My that's a nice viewfinder. :clap: I said to myself that I would possibly get one when/if the price dropped below £500, which would/could possibly be a year or two, when the mark IV came out. I then saw how much I could get it for as a grey import, and it is below £500. :eek: So now it's decisions decisions. :confused:

With the G7X you can also set the maximum ISO you are happy to accept. Not sure what the RD 100 mk 3 has.

Is there a '1 page idiots guide comparison' for the differences between the I, II and III models?

Is there a '1 page idiots guide comparison' for the differences between the I, II and III models?

Having owned all three, I'd say it mostly comes down to whether you need/really want a viewfinder? If no then the mk1 is awesome for the money, if yes then jump to the mk3. I preferred the images from the mk1 but that's personal taste rather than a known quantity.

I didn't actually use the viewfinder as much as I expected because it is a bit fiddly to use and regret not just sticking with the mk1 and putting the money towards other things instead.

Having owned all three, I'd say it mostly comes down to whether you need/really want a viewfinder? If no then the mk1 is awesome for the money, if yes then jump to the mk3. I preferred the images from the mk1 but that's personal taste rather than a known quantity.

I didn't actually use the viewfinder as much as I expected because it is a bit fiddly to use and regret not just sticking with the mk1 and putting the money towards other things instead.

Thats my dilemma. Have decided that the RX100 is the compact to get (partly with a Disney trip in May coming up). Out of all I have considered it wins as it probably will give the best IQ in a true pocket size body, as well as being reasonably priced.

EVF is nice (preferred that on X100/XPro and only use that on dslr) but on a compact I am not fussed, as they often seem a bit small, so not looking to pay more for it. AF, IQ are the main priority with ISO in third.

Despite forum consensus that I would sell it within a week of buying it - I have owned my RX100M3 since October (y)

• I find the additional sony stick on finger grip a necessary addition as the camera is simply too slippery without it
  • I have used the viewfinder exactly 3 times - it is fiddly and awkwardly placed
  • The selfie screen mode is useful, however I can't find a way to remove the 3 second countdown timer
  • I like the shots it produces and there is plenty of res to crop if required
  • The lens is an improvement over the MK1 and 2 - although it still jumps from f1.8 the minute you move off the widest setting, it is only going as high as f2.8 and I've not noticed the lack of zoom range to be an issue.
Will upload some images in a mo...

Last edited:
Ok, here's my beef with my new (2nd hand) mk1 RX100.

95% of the time i'm shooting my young kids. When i'm using my D7000 I slip it into Manual with Auto ISO. I'm usually somewhere around 1/250 and f4 by default then let the light (and ISO) decide whether I need to tweak either Aperture or Shutter Speed. Having only two things to worry about and having both on their own dial is perfect for me letting the camera deal with ISO.

But I have don't appear to have anywhere near that level on control on the RX100 as Sony in their wisdom don't allow Auto ISO in manual, but they do in A, S and P.

I used to use my Canon S95 as a P&S and for the most part I did just that. But with this I wanted to use it just like my dSLR, but I can't.

I stick the RX100 in shutter Priority at 1/250 and it seems obsessed with shooting at 1.8. Only way to con it into going higher is mess with the auto-iso settings and put minimum ISO at 400/800, which is no good to anyone.

In Aperture priority I can set it at f4 and it almost always leave the shutter at 1/30 when wide open and changes as you zoom sticking to focal length or a calculation thereof for handheld shooting.

P has potential, but as you twist the wheel you just hope that its possible to keep the shutter speed high and aperture around f4 as it makes a guess about ISO.

I want to love this camera and I do love the output (when i've manage to use the settings I wanted to), but I feel so out of control. I naively assumed all decent cameras these days would do Auto ISO in M?

Yes, you will say put it in manual and choose your ISO. Whilst that might be fine for a portrait or a landscape, its not good when chasing a 3 and 5 year old around having to hunt around in menus as 3 parameters don't fit onto 2 dials.

Damnit Sony, surely a firmware upgrade could fix this, but they want you to buy the mk3 instead where they've added Auto ISO in Manual.

Any thoughts, help or advice would be very much appreciated.

I really stokes my pipe when people come on to say the camera they bought, which is great, but, won't do the one thing that they always do! Why not check to see if it will do that most important thing before you buy it? :thinking:

You're welcome!

After missing out on one of these in the classifieds I found one that I assumed to be new/old stock at a very good price, sold via Argos so it's all UK good yes? err no! Brand new but I did wonder why the instructions were all in Japanese, no English or any other language sections hmm, charged it up and switched it on, bugger the menu and in fact all of the language is Japanese, double bugger I do not read Japanese, I do remember watching "Shogun" as a kid but not many phrases stuck.

So only one thing for it, type my problem into a search engine (google is definitely my friend :naughty:) and hey presto an answer and menu is now in English, excellent now I can have a play, but how can Argos get away with selling a still relatively expensive product like this that is not set up for the UK market?

Well after all the recommendations and great advice from this thread I bought a second hand Sony RX100 to compliment my Sony A65. Loving the size of the RX , small crumpler bag and Sony grip attached. images are crisp and so much detail, zoom is great and able to still be cropped. Video is fantastic, went for the MKii as I wanted the tilt screen. Can't wait for the summer to turn up so I can get out abit more,
Here's a few shots ( sorry if the HDR work is not to your taste) all edited on iPad

A cold wet afternoon in North Oxfordshire by scoobydude46, on Flickr
A cold wet afternoon in North Oxfordshire by scoobydude46, on Flickr
Chacombe on a wet afternoon with the sony rx100 mkii by scoobydude46, on Flickr

A few from last years hol

DSC01978_zpsba33805a.jpg

DSC01974_zps0cfe0ef7.jpg

DSC01973_zpsffc222d2.jpg

I don't know if this has been reported already, but there was a new firmware release, v1.10, for the original rx100 on 20th January 2015.

Benefits and improvements
  • Improve the vibration and sound noise of the lens during auto-focusing

If that's all there is, then this seems like quite a minor update to me, although I guess if you shoot video it might be of more significance to you. Anyway, I have installed it, but at the moment have not noticed any difference at all!

If you choose to install it then it's worth reading through the instructions on the website while doing the installation as there are a few steps to go through.

[Edit] Just read the thread on dpreview regarding this update, it would appear that two other differences have been observed.
  1. There is now an option to disable the movie button except when the dial is set to movie. :)
  2. Zoom in/out during replay is quicker.

Last edited:
Sony RX100 II now down to £399..... anybody think it will reduce further? :)

Depends on how long you wait. It is timing it just before they go out of stock. ;) :LOL:

I just checked the price for the RX100III on Panamoz, and they are out of stock of v1, and v2, if that is any indication of anything. :thinking:

mkII is £320 and the mkI is £249 on ebay at the moment, both appear to be UK based, ie the add doesn't say Hong Kong etc;

Just bought the M3. I wanted something small than would prove much more portable than my D800 set-up. Have to say that it's very portability also makes it very difficult to get used to - it's so small! Wee bit of a panic when I went to do my first Lightroom import and most of my images weren't showing, but a software update fixed that. One thing I immediately liked about it was the tilt-screen - have never had that in a camera before and it's really useful for the low-to-ground shots. Like this one.

Very nice and a different take off the beach shot. I'll be hoping to get something similar when I go to the Jurassic coast in the summer.
The viewfinder also comes in handy on those bright sunny days.

Having owned both a M1 and now an M3, I thought I would use the viewfinder. I cannot say I have used it more than once or twice - for me the worthy upgrade feature was the faster lens.

Beautiful Stephen!
May I ask if you used any filter when taking this shot and was it a long exposure? (Can't see the EXIF).

I am a m4/3 user and have searched for the ideal compact to complement my Olympus EM-1. I had a panasonic GF1 for a while and later the GM1, but neither were pocketable with anything other than a 14 or, at a stretch the 20mm. So I bought the RX100 Mk1 and haven't looked back, it fits in a pocket no trouble and when not in use it fits in my Breitling watch case, with a couple of spare batteries. I certainly have no qualms about recommending the Mk1.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breitling...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fac914db

DSC05291_zpsv8xhzogw.jpg

DSC05299-Edit-2_zpsuttiuhjc.jpg

DSC05322_zpselu7muh8.jpg

DSC05163_zpsy1lvdynq.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Stephen!
May I ask if you used any filter when taking this shot and was it a long exposure? (Can't see the EXIF).

Hi Dac,thanks for the input,glad you like it. The shot was taken on top deck of cruise ship,all quite rushed really on the way to a show,I think it would have been taken in P mode (will check later) and not a long exposure or filter used although was shot in raw and graduated filter may have been played with in post processing,hope thats of some help.

Would recommend mk1 especially for the price you can pick a new one up for.(£279)

Back