Critique South Wales Sunset

They're good photo's in my opinion Nathan. I can't comment on the colours but they are probably also good.

Although there's nothing wrong with the photo I think that there are too many sunset photos out there so not many really stand out, so I would say look for an interesting foreground and if possible try a different angle. Just my 2 cents.

They're good photo's in my opinion Nathan. I can't comment on the colours but they are probably also good.

Although there's nothing wrong with the photo I think that there are too many sunset photos out there so not many really stand out, so I would say look for an interesting foreground and if possible try a different angle. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your honesty, I appreciate the comments after all no better way to learn than honest comments, I will try and find a more interesting foreground next time. it was more just a spur of the moment type thing where I take that route to work often and thought might be a nice spot for a decent sunset, nothing but common land so nothing of great interest to shoot. Will try another location or look for more composition. Thanks again

Thank you for your honesty, I appreciate the comments after all no better way to learn than honest comments, I will try and find a more interesting foreground next time. it was more just a spur of the moment type thing where I take that route to work often and thought might be a nice spot for a decent sunset, nothing but common land so nothing of great interest to shoot. Will try another location or look for more composition. Thanks again
:welcome:

Hi Nathan.

I know that area well, I grew up there. :) Further across from there, there is an old house with a piggery. I'm not sure if you can incorporate it into the shot, that may give you foreground interest. As for those shots, it may be my monitor but they look under exposed to me. Did you use any filters making them ? The second shot was at F20, any reason why ? I don't usually go any higher than F13 on my 7D, The 18-55 kit lens is a very good lens stopped down..........

Hi Ian,

I had no idea about the piggery, can you point me in the direction of it? I live just over the common in sunny bryncethin so its an easy short way for me.

thanks for the comments and yes they were taken with an old cokin grad filter, pulled shadows in PP and very slightly sharpened foreground, I went F20 to try and get the 'Star-like' Sun beams. When I shoot Bright scenes in general with filters I always hack around until the sky is not over exposed and the foreground is sharp and evenly lit. I'm only on a laptop so not really calibrated so you might well be right with the underexposed especially on the 2nd shot. Quite shocked with the words 'good lens' and 'kit' in the same sentence, thought it was very much inferior to pretty much Everything

Hi Nathan.

The piggery is ( or used to be maybe ) along the rough track on the right hand side of the road, as you rise up out of Bryncethin from the Masons. Just before you get to the top of the hill you will see the track which you used to be able to drive along before the council blocked it off to stop the gypsies going on the common.
DISCLAIMER - I am an old Bryncethin boy and used to play there as a kid, it may have been flattened in recent years :(

The 18-55 kit lens is very good. I have a 17-55 and what you pay for is a constant F2.8 aperture, there is suprisingly little difference otherwise despite the £££ between the two. At F8 to F11 the kit lens would be hard to distinguish from the 17-55. Over F11 and defraction starts to creep in on crop lens, and will contribute to a soft image. Of course, you have to balance that between getting the star burst you want or not, whatever is the most important to you.

Ian

Hi Nathan, dont let the "Kit" monkeys scare you off! i dont know too much about Canon but your equipment looks just fine to me. I have some shots from Old Nikon cameras that most people wouldnt even bother with nowadays... It's the person who stands behind the camera that counts (thats why my shots are dodgy;)).

I have gone through the whole sunset thing myself and when you look at a photograph you ask, what makes it interesting? What draws me to it? I did that little exercise with the sunset shots a while back. I picked some photographs and asked myself what i liked about those stunning sunset photos? The answer was although the sunset was great, it was the location that made it, and an interesting focal point. I have a lot of sunset shots and guess what, there nice sunsets but at the end of the day there just "Nice Sunsets". Like Gabriel says there is a lot about and to make yours stand out you need to make them... different, special and its often the location that usually does that.

Having said all that No1 i quite like this but not sure about the colour in the sky, was it really that orangey red? or was it the effect you were trying to achieve? It looks a tad saturated and could there be some colour cast from the filter in there? I love the clouds, and the highlights brushing the grasses in the foreground. The rays of the sun look good enough at f16 but as Ian says watch those small apertures. The Cambridge Colour web site gives a good explanation of diffraction the last time i looked. (its good to know these things).

No2 sits better with me maybe a tad under exposed and the dark area on the right could do with a lift, perhaps sit the sun off to the right or left?
Hop you find the piggery is still there would probably be a good focal point iven if it was tumble down.

Everyone has their own view on how a photograph should look, and rightly so, sometimes we struggle with todays convention of what a photograph "Should" look like. However being different isnt always being wrong, just different. Personally I aways try and remember what the shot looked like and try and portray what i saw.

I think (like a lot of my early sunset shots) the photos lack a good focal point with the exception of the sun itself (thats the cruel bit) but there something about them i quite like.
Hope this helps

Hi Nathan.

The piggery is ( or used to be maybe ) along the rough track on the right hand side of the road, as you rise up out of Bryncethin from the Masons. Just before you get to the top of the hill you will see the track which you used to be able to drive along before the council blocked it off to stop the gypsies going on the common.
DISCLAIMER - I am an old Bryncethin boy and used to play there as a kid, it may have been flattened in recent years :(

The 18-55 kit lens is very good. I have a 17-55 and what you pay for is a constant F2.8 aperture, there is suprisingly little difference otherwise despite the £££ between the two. At F8 to F11 the kit lens would be hard to distinguish from the 17-55. Over F11 and defraction starts to creep in on crop lens, and will contribute to a soft image. Of course, you have to balance that between getting the star burst you want or not, whatever is the most important to you.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I will have a gander on the weekend. gives me an excuse to get out with the camera although I'm not sure the weather is on my side this weekend.
I was always wondering why even my long exposures were not quite as sharp as i had hoped, didn't know anything about defraction. now I have an insight and will attempt to better quality of my shots. I'm looking for a UWA though. do you have any recommendations, so far its between tokina 11-16 f2.8 and the canon usm 10-22, ive used the sigma 10-20 but the distortion was bit much for me. Any thoughts?

Hi Nathan, dont let the "Kit" monkeys scare you off! i dont know too much about Canon but your equipment looks just fine to me. I have some shots from Old Nikon cameras that most people wouldnt even bother with nowadays... It's the person who stands behind the camera that counts (thats why my shots are dodgy;)).

I have gone through the whole sunset thing myself and when you look at a photograph you ask, what makes it interesting? What draws me to it? I did that little exercise with the sunset shots a while back. I picked some photographs and asked myself what i liked about those stunning sunset photos? The answer was although the sunset was great, it was the location that made it, and an interesting focal point. I have a lot of sunset shots and guess what, there nice sunsets but at the end of the day there just "Nice Sunsets". Like Gabriel says there is a lot about and to make yours stand out you need to make them... different, special and its often the location that usually does that.

Having said all that No1 i quite like this but not sure about the colour in the sky, was it really that orangey red? or was it the effect you were trying to achieve? It looks a tad saturated and could there be some colour cast from the filter in there? I love the clouds, and the highlights brushing the grasses in the foreground. The rays of the sun look good enough at f16 but as Ian says watch those small apertures. The Cambridge Colour web site gives a good explanation of diffraction the last time i looked. (its good to know these things).

No2 sits better with me maybe a tad under exposed and the dark area on the right could do with a lift, perhaps sit the sun off to the right or left?
Hop you find the piggery is still there would probably be a good focal point iven if it was tumble down.

Everyone has their own view on how a photograph should look, and rightly so, sometimes we struggle with todays convention of what a photograph "Should" look like. However being different isnt always being wrong, just different. Personally I always try and remember what the shot looked like and try and portray what i saw.

I think (like a lot of my early sunset shots) the photos lack a good focal point with the exception of the sun itself (that's the cruel bit) but there something about them i quite like.
Hope this helps

Thanks for taking the time to write such informative comments and critique, this is why I love talk photography over all other forums, honest advice and critique. I'm never 100% happy with my images but I think that's purely because I try too hard to please and feel it wouldn't appeal to many, I love just going out and taking photos, I also like the PP afterwards as I'm quite creative and like working with technology. Very few of my shots have had that 'impact' that we all seek, I try to use the rule of thirds but I can't always get the shot I want based on my focal limits. Hoping with a wide angle my creative and composition juices will flow a little better along with finding locations with a focal point. I've also got a cheapo 7dayshop tripod which is great but I want to be able to get down low especially being so close to the coast and all the opportunities around me.

No1 - the sky was really that colour it was spectacular and it then changed dramatically to the 2nd shot... quickly I might add. I'm not sure about colour cast these are cokin A series filters from the 80's given to me by my father in law. Do okay for now and I didn't want to splash out knowing I'm looking to upgrade to full frame requiring larger filters etc anyway.

Hi Nathan, When i found TP i thought that too, its an excellent place to get critique, and i think what better way to learn? I have learnt so much here. When i look at my photos i often get stuck and cant see the wood from the trees. So posting here clears the mind. I hope my comments were a little helpful and remember one persons critique is always only that persons take on it! So never take them to heart.

Regarding the colour, i was just asking;), sometimes even i am suprised by the colour! Some recent pictures i took In Lofoten when i was on holiday, i thought that cant be right! i even googled photos from the area, and yes the Blues were really that Blue in that area! Sunset and sunrise can catch you unawares, at that time of day it can be suprising how fast the light, colour and cloud changes AND i always wait now for about 30 mins to an hour after because sometimes you get fantastic colours after its set. Loving to take photos is great because you learn with every shot (I Do!) More you take the better you get. I'm sure the wide angle will give you a bit more scope and a good tripod will also help, but it will all come.
I only mentioned a colour cast in case the colour was affected by your filter but this was clearly not the case.

Don't rush to upgrade to FF its an expensive leap! The camera's are not so bad to purchase but the lenses can make a big dent in your wallet and if you think about it, if you go to full frame you will really need good lenses:( .....And a good bank balance:eek:.
The route i took was to save and purchase good lenses and use them on your APS-C camera, this will give you an improvement in quality.... then when you can afford get a FF body. The good quality lenses will always hold there price but the camera (as one comes out every 5 minutes) will drop in price quite spectacularly.

You live in a great area especially with Pen-Y-Fan just up the road, so keep at it mate and most importantly Enjoy!!

First image is nice, the foreground works, perhaps a tad over saturated.
Nice colours. The flare around the sun is a shame, is it marks on the filters causing it?
Fantastic sky too!

Hi Ian,

I will have a gander on the weekend. gives me an excuse to get out with the camera although I'm not sure the weather is on my side this weekend.
I was always wondering why even my long exposures were not quite as sharp as i had hoped, didn't know anything about defraction. now I have an insight and will attempt to better quality of my shots. I'm looking for a UWA though. do you have any recommendations, so far its between tokina 11-16 f2.8 and the canon usm 10-22, ive used the sigma 10-20 but the distortion was bit much for me. Any thoughts?

Hi.

Sorry for slow reply, I've not been on here due to working w/end and evenings recently. The 3 lens you mention are all good performers and each have their strengths and weaknesses, but distortion is a fact of life with them.

The Tokina is sharp and well suited to low light with a 2.8 aperture. It has a reputation for flare though, something to consider if you like sunsets. The Sigma ( which I have ) is a good all round performer, not much difference in IQ to the other more expensive options, and is well built. The Canon is the better lens no doubt, but, the downside is the cost. The downside of all three though, is with an UWA you need a great foreground to emphasise the shot. If you don't have an interesting foreground to start with then the subject will appear as a faint dot on the horizon. The wider the frame, the more things you have to find, to fill the frame ???

Hi.

Sorry for slow reply, I've not been on here due to working w/end and evenings recently. The 3 lens you mention are all good performers and each have their strengths and weaknesses, but distortion is a fact of life with them.

The Tokina is sharp and well suited to low light with a 2.8 aperture. It has a reputation for flare though, something to consider if you like sunsets. The Sigma ( which I have ) is a good all round performer, not much difference in IQ to the other more expensive options, and is well built. The Canon is the better lens no doubt, but, the downside is the cost. The downside of all three though, is with an UWA you need a great foreground to emphasise the shot. If you don't have an interesting foreground to start with then the subject will appear as a faint dot on the horizon. The wider the frame, the more things you have to find, to fill the frame ???
Thank you for taking the time to reply, just taken receipt of a canon 10-22 so will be getting out with that asap lol

Back