weekly Southdowns' 52/2012 - Week 52 - Busy SP Posted. Thank You, and Goodnight :)

Hi Mark

great idea...very off the wall but it works (y) I'd possibly like it be a touch more of an over head shot to get better focus on all the stitching...very narrow DOF but it does work as it stands ....great bit of thinking there mister :clap:

Very nice and humorus secure there. I like the low angle.

I'd like it square on to the stamp and the pen is a tad distracting.

Cheers.

Very clever , like the idea and its been well executed, DOF works well

Thanks everyone, glad you like them :)

I'm so sorry I've not been getting around other people's threads, but I didn't even have time to think about the 52 until last night, when I shot my Industry ones. I promise, hand on heart, to get around as many as possible tonight.

Here goes with my take on Industry; Cottage Industry.

I've decided to submit a set this week (not too bad, there are only 6), as I like them all, and the same style works throughout, so I think they make a coherent set. Sorry if that's too much, but there's no rules, right?

Please let me know what you think:

Cottage Industry 1.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Cottage Industry 2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Cottage Industry 3.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Cottage Industry 4.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Cottage Industry 5.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

And finally, a, umm, what do you call it?

Cottage Industry 6.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
ohhh I like, especially the pliers - so is this your work? I do beading too :clap:

Hey, that's above and beyond the call of duty :D
Seriously that's a great set of pictures and as a set surpasses my single picture efforts - well done (y)

Cheers everyone!

Summer, no, it's a friend of ours.

Hello Mark,

I like all your images, but especially the burried alive and secure ones. The burried alive makes my bones tingle. Scarey. The stitched stamp is inspired. Well done coming up with that.
Of the industry set, I'd pick the large pliers shot. Its just simple and effective.

Thanks Stephen :)

Mike, thanks! Funny enough, that's my least favourite of the set (I like #4 best), but actually on this occasion I didn't want to pick a favourite; I think they work best as a set. That's why I tried the montage; to present them as a set, though that didn't work as well as I'd hoped!

Great idea about the "art" test though!

Cheers Darren!

Here we go with root; Square Root!

I spent ages setting this one up, but in the end the close crop I went for meant most of it was unnecessary! I'll post a BTS shot soon.

I do have a wider shot too, but think this one works better. Hope you like it; C&C welcome as ever :)

Square Root.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Cracking set of images for Industry. There's a real sense of narrative behind the photographs, which I really like.

Root....:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: great idea and well executed. Great set up BTW. Now I can't decide whether I'd like to see the root more square on or more tilted, but I'd like to see these as I feel how it is doesn't really emphasise the squareness.

Cheers,

Excellent industry set as already said. ;) Root is very well taken too and thanks for showing the setup Mark. ;)

ha ha I thought of doing something like this, maybe grow some cress in a square pot - but I didn't think it would grow quickly enough :LOL: so where did you get square roots? (please don't say from a slide rule :p )

Thanks everyone!

Andy, I'll post a couple of alternatives; I know what you mean.

Summer, I bought a shrub from B&Q, spent ages defrosting and washing the soil off the roots, then trimmed it with scissors! It's now replanted and we'll see if it survives!

Last edited:
Andy here's a squarer one. I'll post a shot with the whole shrub in tomorrow; needs a little PP first :)

Square Root 2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
Industry - I like the four shot together, but I would change the order to tell the story more, the second pic becomes the first and the first becomes the last.

I do like that close up through the magnifier :)

Square Root - Nice setup shot and VERY nice interpretation on the theme ;)

Hi Mark

Industry - good idea for a set of shots - I like the slight sepia tone, it suits the subject. For me the last 2 are the best because they seem to have more of the scene in focus. On the other busier ones i would have liked to see a little more in focus.

Root - good shots - nice to see the setup, marvellous how heath Robinson it can look and yet get a good image.:) Interesting, full of detail and good colour. Really good work.(y)

HI Mark

bloomin' heck...thats an impressive set of shots for Industry....love the sepia tones , pliers shot for me as well but do like the montage (y)

Square Root..... was expecting something mathematical :LOL:

Whilst the close up's show the detail I prefer the whole image....& love the shadow :clap: Thats exactly how my dining table/kitchen worktop/conservatory tend to look after a them is announced :LOL:

ps...how do you WALK the dirt off the roots :thinking:

Hi Mark

I seem to have missed you the past few weeks

Secure: Excellent a really original thought for the theme and well executed and spot on with your DOF.

Industry: I have to say I’m not a fan of posting more than 1 shot as I think it’s a bit of a cop out of trying to nail the one shot you like, but I do like your set of images and think the pliers one is ace.

Root: Cracking interpretation of the square roo,t lighting/DOF and exposure spot on great to see a shot of the set up as well.

Industry - I like the four shot together, but I would change the order to tell the story more, the second pic becomes the first and the first becomes the last.

I do like that close up through the magnifier :)

Square Root - Nice setup shot and VERY nice interpretation on the theme ;)

Cheers :) Interesting idea re the montage. I laid it out like that to get hand>no hand>hand>no hand, because I thought that might be better balanced, but I think you may be right :)

Industry - good idea for a set of shots - I like the slight sepia tone, it suits the subject. For me the last 2 are the best because they seem to have more of the scene in focus. On the other busier ones i would have liked to see a little more in focus.

Root - good shots - nice to see the setup, marvellous how heath Robinson it can look and yet get a good image.:) Interesting, full of detail and good colour. Really good work.(y)

Thanks! Heath Robinson was exactly how I'd describe it! I take your point re the industry shots.

bloomin' heck...thats an impressive set of shots for Industry....love the sepia tones , pliers shot for me as well but do like the montage (y)

Square Root..... was expecting something mathematical :LOL:

Whilst the close up's show the detail I prefer the whole image....& love the shadow :clap: Thats exactly how my dining table/kitchen worktop/conservatory tend to look after a them is announced :LOL:

ps...how do you WALK the dirt off the roots :thinking:

Thank you. I now like the full shrub best, having PP'd it, and am making that my submission. I was disappointed with it at first because I wanted a totally white background except for the shadow, but I think I've got it close enough.

Ah, bloody auto-correct! Edited now to say "washed". This challenge certainly does get you doing some odd things doesn't it!

Me too - I prefer the image of the full plant.
Especially with that shadow.
IMHO all the hard work setting up the 'studio' was time well spent.
Mike

Thanks Mike. It was fun setting it up too! A bit frustrating trying to work out the lighting without proper gear, but fun never-the-less.

full shrub for me.
thanks for showiung us your set up.

Thanks!

I seem to have missed you the past few weeks

Secure: Excellent a really original thought for the theme and well executed and spot on with your DOF.

Industry: I have to say I’m not a fan of posting more than 1 shot as I think it’s a bit of a cop out of trying to nail the one shot you like, but I do like your set of images and think the pliers one is ace.

Root: Cracking interpretation of the square roo,t lighting/DOF and exposure spot on great to see a shot of the set up as well.

Thanks for this; I really love getting detailed feedback like this.

I understand re the set, but recognising and being able to apply a consistent "style" to a set was the main thing I learned that week, so that's what I wanted to share. In other words creating what I hoped was a cohesive set rather than a single picture was what I was trying to nail :)

Last edited:
NOT a submission, but for fun, here's a failed root attempt; I don't know how I managed to get my arm in the foreground like that! Anyone think I should shave my arm and hands?

;)

20120211-125712.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cheers Michael! Yes I quite like it, but I'm finding I can't do "obvious"! I'm sure they'll find a cure one day :help::wacky::wacky::help:

Hi,

Really like the industry shots, great DOF and the colours i think really suit the mood.

Root or square root haha very cleverly done.

Matt

I prefer the full shrub shot. Well done.

Great second shot too. It could have been a valid submission IMO. Good spot on the fuzzy forearm ;)

Thanks Matt and Ben!

In this day and age of computer photo sharing, we forget the joys of handmade albums. Here's a modern take on the latter ;)

C&C, please please please, as always :)

Handmade Upload.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Back