weekly Southdowns' 52/2012 - Week 52 - Busy SP Posted. Thank You, and Goodnight :)

That's class mate, love the stickr logo :)

Cheers! I'm expecting a cease and desist letter from Flickr any day now ;)

Very clever I like it and I like that it is your root pic you are putting in.

Yep, and all the other pics are from previous themes too (though I've realised I have the fear one in the wrong way around; Doh!). I was quite excited by the chance to tie this week into the previous weeks :)

Good take on the theme (y)

Thank you!

Great shot and colours, like the interpretation too!

Yes I'm very happy with the colours. I did a selective colour version too, with just the Stickr logo in colour to emphasise it, but it's not as nice IMO. It is on Flickr though if you want to take a look.

Catching up on a few. The industry works well as a set giving each of the elements needed to create something. In this case one shot is not enough. It is good to see the variations of Root and setup used. The white BG and just the root is my choice.
A good choice for handmade and fulfills the criteria, plus provides a permanant record in a year of TP

Thanks everyone :)

Michael, I did try to exclude the background, but couldn't do that AND get the right angle and lighting using my 50mm lens. I do have a wider one, but couldn't get a nice DoF using that :( I also tried to hide it in PP, but no matter what I did it looked false.

Next time I'll move the furniture!

EDIT 2: Not completely happy with this one, so new version here :)

So here we are with "Money to Burn" :)

C&C very welcome as always.

Money to Burn.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ooops, just noticed Carol had a similar idea. I didn't copy, honest!

Hi Mark,

Hee, hee don't think that at all. We may have had the same idea but the interpretation is oh so different. Really like this one alot, the lighting is spot on and the sparkler effect on the burning money is wow! How did you do that? I take it that no money was harmed in the making of the shot?

Great work, well done(y)

Carol

Nice I like the use of a sparkler to make the burn more interesting than a naked flame.

I'm just no fully convinced by the composition with the roll of banknotes not adding much, I would prefer to see more of the burning "note"

Thanks everyone!

It was actually meant to be a taper (the £20 note), lighting the "fuse" of the rolled up firework or dynamite, hence the sparkler being visible, but I don't think it works.

No money was harmed; the roll is photocopied £10 notes, and the £20 is from a box of printed tissues my daughter got for Christmas!

I've done a reshoot.

Last edited:
Edit: These re-shoots have now been rejected as most people prefer the original

OK, so I've done a reshoot because I dont think version 1 works too well. I'm now left with two that I like, and a 50/50 split in my family over which to submit, so I'd love to take votes please:

1)

W9 - Money to Burn 3.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Or 2):

W9 - Money to Burn 2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Mark

great shot for Root...like it...nicely lead in to the image,good DOF ,good colors... yup , like it (y)

Money...of the 3 images posted I prefer your original....good focus,nciely lit & no blown bits.....closely followed by reshoot 1...good focus again :clap:

Thanks Lynne :)

I'm really struggling to be happy with what I've done this week; I need more feedback to decide what works.

In the first one the money is more obvious, but I think the roll just looks pointless; it adds nothing to the message. The second one is my favourite image by a long way if you set "money" aside (I love the lighting and the depth added by the sparks coming toward the camera), but unless you view it large the money isn't so obvious.

The third is a contender only because the sparks are coming from the roll, but I don't like it as much as the second.

I may try a second reshoot, but more feedback would be really helpful please, as I'm sitting on a very uncomfortable fence here!

Catching up on this one

Sweet – I like the added touch of the sugar on #1

Secure – Good take on the theme

Industry - #4 for me as it puts everything in context but I bet you’d wished you’d kept these for handmade LOL

Root – #1 is nicely lit and I like the fact you’ve made it square

Handmade – Well thought out

Money – I really like #1

Hi Mark

Money - I think that the first shot is bette than the 2 reshoots because it is clearer that it is money thet is being used . On the reshoots ,partic #2 it could just be rolled up paper. For me the only point that needs improvement in the original is jusst to somehow bring out the detail of the 'fuse wire' as it is a little hard to see. But all technically good i think

Hi Mark

Homemade - really put a smile on my face, such a wonderful idea and take on theme, and the Stickr logo too is just genius.

Money - 3 good shots and the sparkler is a cracking idea.

'Money' (to burn) - I really like the your 2nd (edit) very creative and quite impactive. wish I had money to burn Mark and I know what gear I would buy next (y)

Hi Mark

Money - I think that the first shot is bette than the 2 reshoots because it is clearer that it is money thet is being used . On the reshoots ,partic #2 it could just be rolled up paper. For me the only point that needs improvement in the original is jusst to somehow bring out the detail of the 'fuse wire' as it is a little hard to see. But all technically good i think

I agree with Alan on this one!:)

I think that both work well for a general idea but I would like to see more of the note so that you can see that it is a money note :shrug:

Thanks everyone, this is absolutely fascinating! I still have a soft spot for the first edit for reasons I can't really put into words; it just has a lighting/depth quality I really like, but I do agree with the comments here.

Last edit, honest, just to try and make the sparkler more fuse-like and tie the £20 note and the roll in together. PLEASE let me know what you think compared to version one:

Original:

Money to Burn.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Edit:

W9 - Money to Burn 5.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

If nothing else, I'm fast learning some PP skills!

Last edited:
Hi
Not sure.

Presumably one would not expect the fuse to be burning at one end and yet the target (money) to be burning as well:thinking:

To me the lightening of the fuse somehow to distinguish it from the black background would be best. But, hey, this is really picky. The original is a very, very good shot. i like it a lot.(y)

Thanks for the comments. Difficult week that one, not because of a lack of ideas, but because I was so torn about the best shot!

Win!

I had to use a really fast shutter speed to capture this action; about 4 seconds! ;) Hope you like it, but please tell me if you don't, and why?

I added a border because I think simple white borders look good on letterbox shots, then a black background because I think that helps the image come to life. If you're viewing it on a black screen anyway it's not necessary of course, but lots won't be.

W10 - Win.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thats a great photograph Mark :LOL:
I think the letterbox crop on the black background work well. Good choice.
You've got the dof and focus just right on the winning competitor.
All round great work, which I feel will be the most unique this week with your three subjects. Iain

That is awesome, shame you couldn't get a rabbit to pose on the side having a kip! Great perspective and execution, well done

Hi, there, missed a few....:thinking:

Handmade, brilliant. Stickr...:D I like the composition and slight vignetting. I'd like to see the lower photographs in focus.

Money, hey, anything with fire in is not easy to photograph and you've done well. I think this would be a great triptych. Note sparking, then both, then just the rolled up notes.

Win, tortoises, gotta admire their gusto :D I like the low perspective, but it feels a little tight for me. Think I'd like to see a tad wider and a bit more FG. Nice DOF, though and (y) for getting in so soon.

Cheers.

Back