Southern Europe by Motorcycle

Edit My Images
Yes
Since 2005 I have toured by motorcycle mostly over the southern parts of Europe, Bavaria, Austria, Italy and Switzerland and these a just a tiny taste of what I saw. Risstal was discovered by accident but is completely unspoiled with more Alpine cattle than people.
1. This is right on the German Austrian border and to get to the end you cross and recross the border several times.
2. Then we have a 1m gauge rack and pinion railway with the centre wheel and axle driving the pinion but is lifted on sections where there is no rack.
3.The Zugspitze is also right on the German/Austrian border and is a touch over 10,000 feet high. You can get there by either railway through the mountain or by cable car.
4. Another view on another visit they had closed the cable car which could hold about 20 people to build a bigger one holding many times more. They had to erect a crane on the top to help them do it. I visited the following year and it is a travesty! Quite awful!
5. Into Italy this time descending from the summit of the Stelvio Pass. It is the 2nd highest paved pass in Europe, being not far short of !0,000 feet 49 hairpin bends up and about 39 down this side.
7. The avalanche shelters are there to stop the road being damaged during the winter, but the herds of feral goats have found another use for them. Quite a hazard in an unlit tunnel- some are as big as a Shetland Pony!

Attachments

• 01 Risstal German-Austria Border.jpg
    01 Risstal German-Austria Border.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 02 Aachenseebahn  rack and pinion railway.jpg
    02 Aachenseebahn rack and pinion railway.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 03 Zugspitze, Germany.jpg
    03 Zugspitze, Germany.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 04 Zugspitze construction site.jpg
    04 Zugspitze construction site.jpg