Southerndown

H

Hoodi

A few from Southerndown today, my first College trip :geek:

It was peeing it down all day... Fun!
Not too sure about what I came back with, but really did enjoy the day. They're in critique because I don't care if you rip them to peices - if you think it's pants, say it's pants :D

May have some more to show later, but for now :

1rn6.jpg

2sd5.jpg

3qz3.jpg

5ov8.jpg

6ns4.jpg

7zz6.jpg

9ix0.jpg

Aaand a trpytik.. Triptyc.. Trypic.. Another one for you :

tryptichfq8.jpg

Some nice work there. I can't say there's one I don't like. I might have gone for a more midway point of focus with the flower shot, but it works as it is anyway.

Well done Hoodi. I'm not keen on the people in the first one, to me, because they're so small they're more of a distraction than adding something to the shot and the tryptic isn't my thing either. Everything else I think is brilliant. I absolutely love the sufer shot, that's class and I really like no4 which is some achievement because I really don't do flowers or flower shots. Well done sir.

All good shots but the one that really stands out is the surfer, really good colours and I'm trying to work out the size of the pebbles/boulders! #2 might have benefited from a long exposure, you could maybe try that next time, but it's still a good shot.

The weakest shot is the flower, it doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid, there is no real point of interest.

Cracking shots mate, (y) As they're in here, I'll try and see what I can pick from them :)
#1 I can't fault TBH.

#2 I would maybe try and selectively burn some of that sky, make it a little more dramatic and less bland. Also have you converted from RAW with Rawshooter? If so, did you use the fillin light function? It looks like the effect doing that gives, that it's been overly used?

#3 Again I can't fault it (y)

#4 Another goodun, but personally doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I think the foreground doesn't 'pop' from the background enough.

#5 I'm a fan of these arty 'wonky' type shots, and TBH I never know whether it's worked or not until I get home and see the shot on screen. I think you've got it just right here, not too twisted, not too straight. The shot fits almost perfectly to the golden mean (Look at Figure B).

#6 This could have very easily turned out to be quite a boring shot, but the PP you've applied has pulled it together and given it some visual punch. Very colourful, very autumnal and pleasing to look at.

#7 Another corker I'm afraid..lol :D I've only just noticed the feet too...lol The exposure does look a bit uneven, being more contrasty and darker to the top, yet lighter and almost blown towards the bottom. Not sure whether or not that was intentional though :)
Oh, and you need to clean your shoes boy!

Tryptic : Not too keen on the execution, I find for a tryptic works best with equal sized images usually. It can be done with differently sized images, but I think that's what's letting this one down for me I'm afraid.
The first and third shots in it are corkers, not too sure about the middle shot though.

Sorry if I was being overly blunt, I'm trying desperately to find things to criticise in what is a rather stunning selection of shots. (y) And its hard...lol

Cheers all. I do appreciate people telling me what they feel does & doesn't work :)

Just to answer some of Marcel's questions :

#2 - Nope, I don't use RS, but I may try to punch up that sky a bit more..

#7 - The line going diagonally across the frame is the declining water line of the sea - the pebbles at the bottom left are lighter cos' they're dryer. This was intentional ;)
As for the shoes, they're walking boots - they're meant to get dirty! :LOL:

I'm not too sure about the tryptich either... Never really done one before, & I agree that the varying formats of the images is annoying. May try scaling down the middle one.

Hey hoodi - I love Southerndown.
What class are you doing and where in cardiff are you studying?

I have some point and click photo's from Southerndown during the summer..I don't want to steal your thread but it it does show Southerndown in another light :)

southern2.jpg

Hope you don't mind, give me a shout and I'll take it down if you prefer..
It can shine in Southerndown :)

No worries Chewy sah! It's a cool shot, and does show how different the place can be :)
I'm studying a HND in photography at Glan Hafren - the campus for creative studies is over in Rumney, but I'm living in Canton :D

I did, but it was closed off - the tide was too far in to go along the seafront & the path by the cliffs has fallen down!
The Glan Hafren course is a relatively new one (few years?) - but from what little I've done on it so far it looks rather good :D

Pretty sure I've already asked you this, but I have a shoddy memory, so I'll ask again - whereabout in Cardiff are you? Fancy meeting up for a wander and some snapping sometime?

Back