Beginner Spec me a mirrorless camera

c-m

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

If you had a Sony A7, and your wife/girlfriend/partner whatever, was looking for a camera for travel, what would you go for as an entry level system?

I had suggested the RX100 but I think she'd eventually want interchangeable lenses and the super tiny sensor could be an issue in lower light.

I'm thinking either APS-C or Micro 4/3. The A6000 would be an obvious choice but it's over budget.

I quite like the look of the Olympus E-PL5 but don't know much about it, and she's going to want a viewfinder.

Any suggestions?

2nd hand high end compact. If the bug bites, that will allow more and more control to be taken and will be a handy entrée into the world away from auto. Shouldn't lose too much money when it's upgraded either.

... she's going to want a viewfinder.
New Olympus e-M10 with double kit zooms,
or second-hand Fuji X-E1 with kit zoom,
or checp new Panasonic G5 with double kit zoom which sometimes crops up at a ridiculously low price.

(Or small Nikon DSLR)

I'd go for a Nex 6, about £439 with 16-50.
You can use the same lenses. Why get a different make?

I would stick with the same lens mount as the system you already have. There are plenty of good lower price E mount bodies out there. Its handy to be able to swap lenses but also when you are after a new lens you can use it as a bargaining tool. Rather then you would like to get a new lens for your self, it's you would like to get a lens for both of you to use. It makes like a lot simpler ;) Well it does until she wonders off with all your best lenses :confused:

True.

The Fuji x-e1 looks good. Not sure why there is such a massive price difference between the silver and the black one.

Does anyone know which NEX/Alpha cameras use the same menu system as the A7 range? IIRC the older menus were criticised heavily.

True.

The Fuji x-e1 looks good. Not sure why there is such a massive price difference between the silver and the black one.

Does anyone know which NEX/Alpha cameras use the same menu system as the A7 range? IIRC the older menus were criticised heavily.
They weren't that bad. I have three- Nex C3, Nex 3F and Nex 6.
You get used to the menus and put the controls you want on the soft keys and/or in the display of the 6.

The only Nex/Alpha CSC that has the same menu system as the A7 and a built in viewfinder is the A6000. Alternatively, the A5100 has the menu but no built in EVF. As others have said, an Nex6 or 7 is your best option for second hand equivalent camera within budget.

actually missed the point about having a a7 in the op
you really should try and stay sony/e mount

also helps when you say "but itll work on your camera too..." :D

I'd grab a Fuji x-e1 which are amazing value with the free telephoto zoom.
+1 for the X-E1

@c-m check out the two lens and accessory bundle currently listed on the refurb shop (http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-refurbished.html) use the discount code PAYPAL12 for an extra 10% off (you then need to pay using Paypal) and it's a very nice starter bundle for under £390.

btw, if there's a definite budget limitation why would you not mention what it is when asking for recommendations?

Went for the nex6 in the end.

Saw a nice Fuji x-e1, and I think it's the better stills (only) camera, but since I have a sony the ability to share lenses and batteries will be a big plus when travelling for the both of us.

Back