Critique Spider At Virginia Water

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I took a trip to Virginia Water on the weekend and I saw a spider in front of the waterfall and thought it might take a nice photo, I'm looking for critique of everything, composition, exposure, white balance, anything (ever willing to learn and improve)

I have cropped, resized and applied a little sharpening to try and bring out the web a little more.
View attachment 22011

Camera:Canon EOS 550D
Lens:Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Shot at 135 mm
Exposure:Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 2.6 sec, f/9, ISO 100

Honestly, my thoughts - Skimming over the image, as if I didn't know the spider was there, (or from a distance) I might just see a blurry photo of a waterfall - how could I have prevented that to really draw attention to the spider whilst keeping the scenario a part of the image?

Thanks,
Matt

I'd agree with your thoughts there Matt. I'm not sure where the focal point is as it doesn't look right on the spider/web and the spider and it's web are far too small in the frame. Were it a larger or more intricate web with water drops on it might be different.

Personally, get closer and wider. The spider/web would be a little more prominent and might give you some better results.

The shutter speed has given you some blurry water but likly hasn't helped with the sharpness of the web as a slight wind will move it.

Up your ISO so that you can have a slower shutter speed, get closer and go wider on your lens to keep the waterfall in the background.

Keep at it :) I've taken plenty like that and continue to do so at times!

Excellent, thanks for the feedback. I saw the web and just fancied something different than 'another waterfall shot' (I already had plenty of those :))

Back