Spider Macros

Edit My Images
No
My macro lens gets very little use - used it quite a bit over the weekend...

15354781256_c6cd9d480d_b.jpg

15358594616_1c915df45e_b.jpg

15206607437_aff8bdb8c7_b.jpg

Good focussing - looks like DOF is real shallow though but you've done a fab job with it (y) What have you used for lighting, I really like the processing/white balance you've applied

Lovely shots, I rather like the shallow DoF but yes, the focus is nailed.

Must admit I'd also like to know the PP process on these really cool images. I often see macro shots with very cool processing on the likes ot 500px and 1x.com but just don't know how to achieve it effectively.

I love the dramatic lighting and strong composition on shot #1.

Lovely dramatic lighting. I haven't shot like that in a while and it certainly suits spiders.

cheers all! Glad you like them. Its a little out of my comfort zone to be honest. I have shot macro before, but hardly every with a tripod and never with off camera flash.

Good focussing - looks like DOF is real shallow though but you've done a fab job with it (y) What have you used for lighting, I really like the processing/white balance you've applied

yeah - 150mm Macro at f2.8 is super shallow. I think I should have probably shot higher - maybe f5-8 but that's something to consider next time (very new to this and winging it a bit). These where mostly shot on Manual, with a set of Pixel King radio triggers and a 430EXII hand held. I have a simple softbox attachment for the 430EXII. I would set the shot up and keep firing off shots experimenting with the lighting.

I probably shot about 3-5 shots each, the issue more than anything was the fact the wind was blowing them in and out of focus.

Other than that - No idea what WB was. I normally adjust it in lightroom (start with Auto) and adjust from there. I do know that the last shot was actuary naturally quite warm , but I adjusted the WB to tint it blue. Maybe not accurate, but it looks visually better.

Back