Critique Splashing Around, is this any good ?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Oop's, I posted this in the wrong section first. Went a walk around Elvaston Castle Lake in Derby this morning with my new Sigma 50-500, not 100% sure on how to use image stabilisation etc. but i'm quite pleased with this one.

View attachment 24736

Thanks for looking & any comments very welcome.

A tidy shot Andy and I like the coloured droplets showing. If I am guessing right you cropped as you did on the foreground to retain the reflection,not so sure if that works or not as I would have had less water in the shot,that will be subjective though and there is no right or wrong way.At the same time I would have shifted the subject over to the right side more so it has more room to swim into.Perhaps a bit blown on the highlights but as I say it is still a tidy shot considering you were using a new lens.

Thank you Rich I agree with you on the highlights being a little blown, I may have another play and see what I can do.

Last edited:
Composition is far better in the second image, the colours in the water splashes are very good, the whites are too blown to be recovered (you know that though), the shot works well except for those blown whites that are really noticeable. I can`t see the exif, but what exposure settings did you use and did you have any exposure compensation dialled in?

Hi fracster

Thanks for your comments. The exposure settings for this where f6.3 at 1/500 & 800 iso, with no exposure compensation.

A couple of others from the morning

View attachment 24915
f6.3 at 1/640 & 800 iso

View attachment 24916
f6.3 at 1/640 & 800 iso

No exposure compensation on any of these, schoolboy error :oops: :$

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

only on phone, but will look when back on pc later.

no point commenting when viewing tiny shots on my crappy phone mate.

I'm not with any other these Andy, composition, sharpness or PPing which seems to me to be all over the place

I don't find any particularly attractive

I'll leave it to the experts

Thanks for being honest Bill. PP is always my biggest chalange I can never get it right, to the point that I'm now only shooting everything I do in JPEG. I admire all of you that can PP to the standards that you do but I just don't get it. I love being out with the camera and taking landscape and wildlife, I have however started to stay at home because I know if I shoot in Raw they will require PP which I have stopped enjoying.
Thank you again for your honesty :)

Thanks for being honest Bill. PP is always my biggest chalange I can never get it right, to the point that I'm now only shooting everything I do in JPEG. I admire all of you that can PP to the standards that you do but I just don't get it. I love being out with the camera and taking landscape and wildlife, I have however started to stay at home because I know if I shoot in Raw they will require PP which I have stopped enjoying.
Thank you again for your honesty :)

Hi Andy

I'm sure that there is a basic "work flow" somewhere starting with a RAW image and going thru the stages

Do you use LR or CS or PSE or some other programme

Rich is the expert but I think that he only uses CS

Hi bill
I subscribe to CS and LR but to be honest the whole thing confuses me

Andy, nobody hates pp as much as I do. Saying that,it only takes a minute if you get the majority right in camera.

A bloke on here from a while ago,gave me some cracking advice, you cannot make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, he was spot on. If I have to start faffing with layers and stuff, it gets binned. I enjoy taking pics, not photoshop.

Bloke was called Ct, Cedric.

Hi bill
I subscribe to CS and LR but to be honest the whole thing confuses me

go through the tutorial, stage by stage - you will find that they will just "click" and you will be well on your way

In the above images playing around with highlights and shadows in LR will change your images - always try to get rid of "blown" whites as they are annoying

Last edited:
Back