Springtails at Weston Big Wood

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Not finding many springtails in our garden I decided to try some local wildlife trust woods. At two of them I found none. Here is what I found at the other one I went to. There are more images of some of these in this album at Flickr.

#3 and #6 are too soft to be photographically interesting, but they are species I haven't photographed before so I'm including them in case anyone can provide any clues as to their ID. Indeed, IDs of any of them would be useful as the folk at the wildlife trust only find images useful if they are identified. (I have sought IDs for these at iSpot, but no joy there.)

These were captured hand-held using my Panasonic G3 with 45-175mm zoom lens and Raynox MSN-202, with flash and diffuser mounted on the camera hot shoe.

0621 06 2014-11-18 P1850981 LR
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0621 09 2014-11-18 P1860010 LR-3

0621 18 2014-11-18 P1860062 LR

0621 19 2014-11-18 P1860075 LR

0621 31 2014-11-18 P1860195 LR

0621 32 2014-11-18 P1860204 LR

0621 49 2014-11-18 P1860318 LR

2/4/5/6 are Dicyrtomina Saundersi with 2/4 being juvenile

I think if the back pattern is solid it's Dicyrtomina ornata

#3 Alamca fusca

#5 Tomocerus minor but possible vulgaris.

Worth adding to the Flickr group collembola for ID'S

https://www.flickr.com/groups/334033@N24/

Frans is a expert in them and is pretty quick if you put location in description county/country.

Thanks Bryn and Mark, that is extremely helpful.

Worth adding to the Flickr group collembola for ID'S

https://www.flickr.com/groups/334033@N24/

Frans is a expert in them and is pretty quick if you put location in description county/country.

How does that work Bryn, in terms of getting an ID? Just had a quick look and all the images I looked at already had IDs when posted by the look of it.

Thanks Bryn and Mark, that is extremely helpful.

How does that work Bryn, in terms of getting an ID? Just had a quick look and all the images I looked at already had IDs when posted by the look of it.

Well that's mostly due to Frans responding then people update description. If Frans sees one without a ID he will ID it via the comments and ask for location if not given. He is studying them.

I think #2 could be Dicyrtomina minuta, but it's difficult to be sure... It could just as easily be ornata, or perhaps a juvenile saundersi as Bryn says. Minuta tends to have less markings on the body, but still retains the patch at the rear. Contrary to what it's name suggests, it's around the same size as the other Dicyrtomina species.

Brilliant collection Nick, I can see your personal collembola check-list will be quite long in no time at all!

I think #2 could be Dicyrtomina minuta, but it's difficult to be sure... It could just as easily be ornata, or perhaps a juvenile saundersi as Bryn says. Minuta tends to have less markings on the body, but still retains the patch at the rear. Contrary to what it's name suggests, it's around the same size as the other Dicyrtomina species.

Brilliant collection Nick, I can see your personal collembola check-list will be quite long in no time at all!

Sounds like Frans would give you a definitive answer in this case.

Sounds like Frans would give you a definitive answer in this case.
Yeah I've been looking at your other images of the subject on flickr. I'm torn between minuta and ornata. I'm going with minuta :)

Frans would definitely know though. Frans is awesome!

Another great set of images Nick, I like them very much.(y)

George.

Thanks for the plant info just asked my dad (keen gardener) if he has any foreign native plants and he has lots so going to have to do a hunt there soon fingers crossed weather is good Tuesday.

Be nice to get some exotic species. :)

Thanks Tim, Paul, George.

@Tintin124, Bryn I hope you find some interesting species in your Dad's garden. btw I've just seen a good example of what you said about other species on slugs, from a set I processed today with night shots from a couple of days ago (when I was testing the side-mounted hat lamp, which has now been superseded by my Bryn-inspired diffuser-mounted focus lamp, which I still need to test for small subjects incidentally, having shown that it works fine for larger subjects).

Back