Main stained glass window in St Andrew's Church, Sevenhampton
by kennysarmy, on Flickr

Stained glass window in St Andrew's Church, Sevenhampton
by kennysarmy, on Flickr

Inside St Andrew's Church, Sevenhampton
by kennysarmy, on Flickr

St Andrew's Church, Sevenhampton
by kennysarmy, on Flickr

You've obviously taken some time & put thought into these, so please take my comments as trying to be helpful - all IMO of course.

1. You have a lot of stuff in here and a big dynamic range, and that's probably preventing you from hoofing the contrast & making it punchier. The bright stained glass kills any impact the simple softly coloured table might have (cover it with your hand to see) and if you can selectively darken/desaturate the glass a bit it would help.

2. Nice, would be helped by getting in the top of the window frame and reducing the amount of tablecloth.

3. I think this would work better if you'd moved round to the left a little further and managed to frame the whole window with the flowers bottom left to finally catch interest.

4. Nice, well framed and exposed.

5. More of a record shot, strong lead lines but nothing too exciting, might have cropped out the house on the left.

HTH

You've obviously taken some time & put thought into these, so please take my comments as trying to be helpful - all IMO of course.

1. You have a lot of stuff in here and a big dynamic range, and that's probably preventing you from hoofing the contrast & making it punchier. The bright stained glass kills any impact the simple softly coloured table might have (cover it with your hand to see) and if you can selectively darken/desaturate the glass a bit it would help.

If I tried to increase the contrast then I lost the flowers a bit in to the wall.....but I take your point re juxtaposition of stained glass and cloth covered table...

2. Nice, would be helped by getting in the top of the window frame and reducing the amount of tablecloth.

Agreed - I think I did try stepping back but I then included some flowers either side of the window which I found distracting, some times I guess you cannot get the shot you want :(

3. I think this would work better if you'd moved round to the left a little further and managed to frame the whole window with the flowers bottom left to finally catch interest..

I disagree, the reason for the shot and this angle was to show the light spill on the wall from the stained glass...giving the three areas of blue....

4. Nice, well framed and exposed.

Thanks, I was pleased how the XE-1 sensor retained enough detail in the stained glass yet still allowed me to pull plenty shadow details from the RAW file.

5. More of a record shot, strong lead lines but nothing too exciting, might have cropped out the house on the left.

Agreed, I think I over-saturated the sky a bit on reflection too :(

Many thanks for your comments.

Hi Kenny number 4 is the strongest one for me but I think #3 had the most potential with that lovely light spilling from the stained glass, can't really put into words what I mean but perhaps a closer shot without the flowers and without the dark bar to the left.

Back