st gwithian's church

Name
Geof
Edit My Images
Yes

gwithian, cornwall

cheers
geof

(I am new here and keep seeing requests for critique so I am having a go even though I see you are probably an old hand on here)

Very pretty scene with the footpath leading the viewer into the picture to give a sense of 3D
Technically good with good exposure of all of the scene - in particular the sky.

?Could it have been composed with the church tower nearer the right hand vertical third. Not sure that the amount of tree currently included is necessary and (assuming it is there) more of the church would probably make for a more interesting picture.

Would be interesting to see this same picture at a different time of day - the shadows seem very short suggesting it was taken near midday. Longer shadows might add more interest/give a totally different feel to the picture

(I am new here and keep seeing requests for critique so I am having a go even though I see you are probably an old hand on here)

Very pretty scene with the footpath leading the viewer into the picture to give a sense of 3D
Technically good with good exposure of all of the scene - in particular the sky.

?Could it have been composed with the church tower nearer the right hand vertical third. Not sure that the amount of tree currently included is necessary and (assuming it is there) more of the church would probably make for a more interesting picture.

Would be interesting to see this same picture at a different time of day - the shadows seem very short suggesting it was taken near midday. Longer shadows might add more interest/give a totally different feel to the picture

spot on quotes
my excuses..:LOL:..the vop for this was quite restricted with my 14-45 kit lens..that is on wide end equal to 28mm in 35mm format terms..i was up against the lynch gate on my left since i had to come back to bet as much as i could in for the article...my friend is writing it btw....this i think is the paper he is writing it for
the shot is for an article on the upkeep of church lands to suit wildlife hence the inclusion of all the vegetation
next time i can put more of the church and perhaps do a pano stitch
midday it was and i only get out from home from 10 am to around 4 pm as we have guests right now...but i like your assessment here of the shadows...i used 7x2/3 stop exposures to get detail in the shadowlands since the contrast was high...its one of my first attempts doing this the correct way with a tripod
brilliant critque and right on form for a shot like this

cheers
geof

Last edited:
brilliant critque and right on form for a shot like this.....

Thanks for you comments in particular those on my critique .

I am new here, still finding my way around (including posting my own pics) and was a bit hesitant about commenting on efforts of others when they can't (yet) comment on mine.

Thanks for you comments in particular those on my critique .
I am new here, still finding my way around (including posting my own pics) and was a bit hesitant about commenting on efforts of others when they can't (yet) comment on mine.

lots do that...even the old timers and the pro's..;)

best to stand up for what you think...ever been to an art gallery...can you paint like degas or canaletto?

(y)

cheers
geof

Back