St Mary's Lighthouse - Experimenting with filter and shutter speed

Edit My Images
No
Got my first filter (LEE ND grads and Big stopper), went out to try this morning and quite pleased with the ND grads, couldn't use the big stopper, light was too poor and I couldn't wait al day as had to go to work.

Last edited:
The second for me. I like the sense of movement created by the sea swirling over the weed covered foreground rocks. The first is a bit static and the third is too blurred to work with anything but calm water. My first reaction was that it was a pity the light in the sky wasn't behind the lighthouse (though there wasn't much you could do about it) but looking again I rather like the way the lighthouse picks up the colour of the sky and blends with it.

Like no1, prefer the visible rocks in the foreground, others look blurred,misty in foreground!

Very nice indeed, I personally like number 2, the mono is great also but needs a tad more contrast kicked in I think, stunning captures.

Was it the Lee 100 system BigStopper filter and not the screw-in type Andrew ?

I am unsure between 1 and 2, probably thinking 2.

Agree with the mono, will try and add more contrast.

I have the LEE Seven5 big stopper and 0.6 ND hard grad, these were just taken with the ND Grad, the exposure for the big stopper would have been about 16 minutes and I had to get to work

Prefer the last colour version. The swirling is different to the static mist of a usual big stopper LE. Rules to be broken n all that. Agree with a slight contrast boost but I wouldn't go mad.

Thanks, will re-edit late ron and try boosting the cotrast a little, will see how it improves. Apart from the light to the left of the lighthouse it was a very dull November morning, hopefully some more interesting light next time I go out.

Back