Stack of Glass Pebbles

Hi Vince,

You've got the stones nice and sharp but the image is lacking overall interest. It's all a bit tight and central.

I would suggest position the stones in a similar manner (maybe with the larger red stone at the bottom). Take a lamp and maybe place it off to one side so as to create similar shadows as to what you're seeing. Adjust the lamp to create longer shadows (such as seen during later evening before sundown). A soft light bulb would be good especially where glass is concerned.

Then maybe frame the shot so as to allow more space around the stones so that they're to one side of the image. Maybe even select 3 stones all of the same type, spray them with water to get some droplets etc. on?

Hi Vince,

You've got the stones nice and sharp but the image is lacking overall interest. It's all a bit tight and central.

I would suggest position the stones in a similar manner (maybe with the larger red stone at the bottom). Take a lamp and maybe place it off to one side so as to create similar shadows as to what you're seeing. Adjust the lamp to create longer shadows (such as seen during later evening before sundown). A soft light bulb would be good especially where glass is concerned.

Then maybe frame the shot so as to allow more space around the stones so that they're to one side of the image. Maybe even select 3 stones all of the same type, spray them with water to get some droplets etc. on?

Thank for the advise Ian , I'm new to the game and I have just been practising my manual focus skills with some macro filters, I will add something next as you say.

Much appreciated

Vince

I think the lighting is much to harsh and a diffused light source would work better.

I think the lighting is much to harsh and a diffused light source would work better.

Thinking the same sadly. Highly recommend trying the same shot next to a brightly lit window and seeing if you can get away with not using a flash at all. It'll remove the heavy shadow behind the pebbles and really make them pop out.

Back