Steam..Black Fives

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Caught these on Saturday at Gloucester station .I then drove out into the countryside to catch them en-route to Shrewsbury. A very foggy morning,it was clearing some by the time they left. I immediately drove to Norton near Worcester to catch an A4 'Union of South Africa'

2emkdxk.jpg

2dt516f.jpg

dn0lc7.jpg

a4sle1.jpg

2jev5s8.jpg

A brilliant set, love Black 5s, lovely well proportioned locos that look smart without trying to be pretty! Number 4 really is a cracker too.

Many thanks… I have a friend who I sometimes go with and he's a 'bridge man' so I persuaded him to come with me this location and he's sold on it. I went looking for somewhere different (to a bridge) a few days earlier and caught a glimpse of this spot as I drove by. I even timed how long it took to get there from the road..10 minutes. The embankment isn't too high and the locos were working hard so for once the ideal setting and maybe the fog played its part too.

Good description of a Black 5, Alan.

Thanks,Michael. Might get another opportunity in a couple of weeks - need a different location though

No4 for sure - cracking shot!

Caught these at Onibury just north of Ludlow.

Not very pleased with my shots need to learn how to process in Elements 11 or lightroom 5.

The one before was Diesel hauled Nunery Castle failed.

Also caught them on route from Bury north of Craven Arms plus Stokesay Castle. Problem with rain drop right in middle of lens/filter.

Trevor

Yes, four is a lovely shot. I haven't done a steam loco for a while, I forgot to check what was around or I might have popped down to see them.

Mike

Wonderful pictures, the last two particularly. Was lucky enough to catch them passing work last week whilst heading out for lunch. Totally unexpected. Made my day!

Many thanks all. Big apologies for coming back so late. It slipped right down the list and I didn't even see there were more replies when I posted my last Black Fives at Bathampton until I replied today. Too easy to get caught out.

No. 4 is my favourite too.

Richard..As you see from my last post they ran from Paddington to Bristol. So sorry I wasn't able to let you know when you posted. Bit of bad luck re. that raindrop .

Trevor. Here's a great tutor for Lightroom . Sergei Ramelli .You'll need to google him with youtube and go through which ones you like. They're free.I have LR4.

Jim..A surprise is great..even better.

Mike..I've got the 2015 list handy and those I can reasonably get to I note on our calendar.

Some nice atmospheric shots John, would it be worth a try with a little black and white also?
Cheers, Andrew.

Missed them returning north on christmas eve through Trent Vally morning.
Never checked engine movments after the 19th with The Chester Carols that I caught through Willenhall, between Walsall and Wolverhampton.

Trevor

You got to keep your eye on the schedules, Trevor. Almost lost a couple myself.

Thanks Rob..I did do a B&W but thought I'd posted enough. Here's the one.

Rob..Seems to me these two do Tours together. I'm sure you'll look on here. They are doubled up in 2015 too..http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs15.htm
Jan 24 Manchester to Carlisle first outing. There are more.

2qmnaky.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again,Michael. All the best to you for 2015 too.

These two make for a good photo so I expect we'll be seeing them again on here. The locations do make a difference so always worth seeing again.

Back