Studio Still experimenting...

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
On Sunday I had the chance to spend a couple of hours experimenting in a studio with Hannah as my model; there was no particular brief other than to play and learn.

I've used gels occasionally before to add highlights and colour to a scence but never directly on the subject, and I've been meaning to try something like this since I saw Jake Hicks' work (link mildly NSFW). His stuff is polished to within an inch of its life but his use of gels is masterful.

It was much trickier than I thought it was going to be. It's very easy to overcook the gels - but equally easy to under do them so they're barely giving the effect at all. There seems to be no reliable way to meter them - it's really easy to blow out a single channel while a meter still indicates that everything is fine. I'm guessing shooting tethered is the way to go but my camera won't do it (so I obviously do need an A7RII after all :) )

Keeping everything under control meant using hard light sources, which added awkward shadows all over the place. I had to keep the lights close to keep the power down; I hadn't realised at the time that it wasn't positioned perfectly correctly so I've had to do some tweaking in post, esp to her lower arm.

The underlighting - aka horror lighting - was entirely deliberate; I was wanting the highlights above the eyes and under the chin. Whether it was actually a good idea or not is another question.

Anyway, it was a good challenge and remarkably revealing of lighting flaws, even if you ignore the gels. I'll probably try to do some more, just for the exercise!

Peachy Taylor
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Pullback:
Key: 70cm gridded beauty dish, feathered off the pallet
Front accent: teal gelled gridded standard dish reflector, bounced off a silver pop-up reflector
Rear: blue-green gelled gridded standard dish.

I didn't have two identical gels; that took a little tweaking in PS too.

Last edited:

Cool, very cool!

Two observations if I may:
1. the purpose of the softlight, even with grid, is ignored at this distance from
the model, acting as a normal light source.
2. A detail that escapes attention very often is the "islanding" of light spots as
on her elbow.

I dig the cool spooky light on her face (except the V shape highlight under her lips).

Cool, very cool!

Two observations if I may:
1. the purpose of the softlight, even with grid, is ignored at this distance from
the model, acting as a normal light source.
2. A detail that escapes attention very often is the "islanding" of light spots as
on her elbow.

I dig the cool spooky light on her face (except the V shape highlight under her lips).

Thanks!

By softlight do you mean the beauty dish? You're right, it's not functioning as it normally would - it just happens to be largish but highly controllable light source.
The light spots - and whole lower arm - was a problem. I realised afterwards that my reflector was pointing slightly the wrong way.
.. and the V shape - is the reason I picked this one to process rather than another!

Your way too clever really.Just the ticket underlighting at this time of year :)
On a side note this is really strange as I just landed on another website not half an hour ago and saw that bounced light thing there and begger me one of your photos was on the front page ! Like I say clever :))

Thanks for the pullback too.

Gaz

Your way too clever really.Just the ticket underlighting at this time of year :)
On a side note this is really strange as I just landed on another website not half an hour ago and saw that bounced light thing there and begger me one of your photos was on the front page ! Like I say clever :))

Thanks for the pullback too.

Gaz

Cheers Gaz.. just playing around, really, and forever working on my lighting skills. I'm more than a little bit obsessed with harder light sources at the moment - the old school portraitists used them all the time.

Which other site was it, out of interest?

Trés cool idea for the background, Simon. You could do some really cool stuff with that and gels... as you've shown here... but the possibilities are endless!!!

Trés cool idea for the background, Simon. You could do some really cool stuff with that and gels... as you've shown here... but the possibilities are endless!!!

Lol! It was just lying around in the studio - and in fact in the way of the roller shutter door I wanted to use. I only realised I could have done something more interesting with it afterwards. Maybe next time...

Cool set up! Only two comments...

1.) I think I'd prefer her looking at the camera in the first. Looking off camera doesn't really add to the look and she looks disengaged IMO.
2.) Not a very flattering pose on the second.

I don't really "get" fashion/beauty but other than the above I think they're great.

Are you saying he should have taken them on an iPhone Gary? :D

I like f-stoppers but their main guy is a tool.
Tool !!!! Wouldnt know, as I say I just happened accross site and had not been on there before. Obviously the phone thing is related to the guys style but it's lost on me :(

Gaz

Tool !!!! Wouldnt know, as I say I just happened accross site and had not been on there before. Obviously the phone thing is related to the guys style but it's lost on me :(

Gaz
He makes lots of condescending videos saying "hey look at me, look what I can do on an iPhone... better than 99% so called professionals".

Dick would have been more appropriate. He's a dick.

Cool set up! Only two comments...

1.) I think I'd prefer her looking at the camera in the first. Looking off camera doesn't really add to the look and she looks disengaged IMO.
2.) Not a very flattering pose on the second.

I don't really "get" fashion/beauty but other than the above I think they're great.

Thanks..

1. I would too - the shots I have where she does make eye contact all suffer from the nose casting an unpleasant shadow over her left eye 'cos my reflector was in the wrong place. One lives and learns..

2. I hadn't thought of it as unflattering - I was just drawn to all the diagonals and triangles in the composition.

interesting shots mate - i really like the lighting - good job and different... I would have to agree with adam on the .2 - i also think it could be more flattering if slightly changed. and finally, I also agree with our good self that the last image is the strongest. very nice set over all matie!

Saw these on the phone over the weekend but immediately thought probably best viewed on a bigger screen. Interesting stuff Simon and top marks for experimenting with it. Can see how controlling the elements here would be challenging but you seem to have pulled it off.

Back