Still trying with Landscapes

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Now that November's POTY is over I can finally post up a couple of images I was holding back just in case nothing better came along...

DSC_1578 by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1631 by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1609 by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

All were taken at Chatsworth so it's somewhere I can re-visit & improve ( that's the plan anyway !) following any crit/advice received on here . Composition is what I'm interested in feedback on if you would be so kind please ?

many thanks

Lynne

I really like the first one : for me, the composition is good and I think the reflections add an extra dimension, if you know what I mean.

They've all got something going for them Lynne, but the inclusion of the house in the 2nd one gives it a bit extra, plus the colours of the trees next to the house work well. Many congrats on your self restraint with the saturation slider, but I might be tempted to give it a nudge and see ........

num 1 +2 ok num 1 has a nice curve but nothing leading or drawing the eye.
but I would crop more of the sky in num 2 make it more panorama style
3 just trees and reflection
just my pennies worth Lynne

I really like the first one : for me, the composition is good and I think the reflections add an extra dimension, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for popping in Ged ....it was the reflection that got me....quite partial to reflections :)

A nice set of photos there.

Particularly like no2

Cheers Tom ...I love the house on the lake..just need a decent sky :)

They've all got something going for them Lynne, but the inclusion of the house in the 2nd one gives it a bit extra, plus the colours of the trees next to the house work well. Many congrats on your self restraint with the saturation slider, but I might be tempted to give it a nudge and see ........

Many thanks Peter , the Nov POTY was SOOC so I couldn't boost them , tweaked very slightly before uploading here but , now you mention it....I've given in to temptation & cropped it as per Paul's suggestion

View attachment 27149

Any better do you think ? Luckily this place is quite local to me so hoping to revisit it plenty.....there should be a good sky at some point :)

& I boosted the colors on the 1st as well...

View attachment 27150

Last edited:
num 1 +2 ok num 1 has a nice curve but nothing leading or drawing the eye.
but I would crop more of the sky in num 2 make it more panorama style
3 just trees and reflection
just my pennies worth Lynne

Thanks for commenting Paul....I've done the crop as per your suggestion & yup , works better - possibly cropped a bit too hard but hey , every day's a school day :)

All 3 were simply because of the reflections...that's all I was interested in I think ,so no , no in your face lead in line ( or even a subtle lead in line ) just reflections of tree's & sky. Not to everyone's taste I appreciate but then it's a good job we don't all lke the same thing :)

View attachment 27149

Any better do you think ? Luckily this place is quite local to me so hoping to revisit it plenty.....there should be a good sky at some point :)

I think this is definitely an improvement on the original version. Since it is local to you, why not make this the first in a series of seasonal images of the same scene?

I would have cropped more off the sky leave the lake alone make it like a mirror image a 50/50 split hope you get what I mean

@Peter B .....that's a great suggestion , I've already got another st of images that I' trying to do a project with just need to get winter but I think I may well try this location for it as well....cheers for the nudge (y)

@the ghost ...soon as I posted I realised I'd cropped slightly differently to what you suggested......I'm a nit wit !

Lynne, I'm not sure any of these has quite worked, but the first two certainly have good elements about them. Take this with a pinch of salt, as I've not had real success with my own compositions of this kind. No 1, the trees are nice, the reflections are nice, the clouds are nice, great leading lines with the tops of the trees and their reflections taking you to... no main image central point? The clouds do sort of take you back but again, to what? It's also split almost in half top-bottom, and might suffer from just too much symmetry, always a potential problem with reflections. Basically I think this one suffers from the same problem as so many shots: it's a great view but not (yet) a great photo. The third one again, I can't see the interest point in it.

The second one, I agree the house helps, but I'm with some of the comments above: crop more of the sky and boost the colours a bit? I think for a re-take, this might be the one to concentrate on... or maybe look for something breaking the perfect symmetry, like a bird, a fish or a lobbed stone? But, a good set of a difficult subject.

Lynne, I'm not sure any of these has quite worked, but the first two certainly have good elements about them. Take this with a pinch of salt, as I've not had real success with my own compositions of this kind. No 1, the trees are nice, the reflections are nice, the clouds are nice, great leading lines with the tops of the trees and their reflections taking you to... no main image central point? The clouds do sort of take you back but again, to what? It's also split almost in half top-bottom, and might suffer from just too much symmetry, always a potential problem with reflections. Basically I think this one suffers from the same problem as so many shots: it's a great view but not (yet) a great photo. The third one again, I can't see the interest point in it.

The second one, I agree the house helps, but I'm with some of the comments above: crop more of the sky and boost the colours a bit? I think for a re-take, this might be the one to concentrate on... or maybe look for something breaking the perfect symmetry, like a bird, a fish or a lobbed stone? But, a good set of a difficult subject.

& this is what confuses the hell out of me with photography......everyone likes different things which is good I guess . Personally I like images of reflections ,they don't need a focal point as I find them just pleasant to look at....not having a go Chris , I'm probably just odd in my photography likes :D

I can't boost the colors much more without them looking really fake as there wasn't much color there to start with but it is definitely a place I' going to spend more time at (y)

Back