Still undecided. Canon or Fuji?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I keep going to order the Fuji Xe1 with 18-55 lens and will receive a 55-230 free lens too for £589. I have almost did this about 10 times in the last couple of weeks but keep wondering whether i'm making a mistake as i've been completely underwhelmed by the image quality of micro 4/3rds cameras like the GF3 and EPL5 and i'm wondering if i should stick with a set up like a 50d or similar and 17-55 IS which would not be much more money. I am really undecided about this. My heads thumping thinking about it. Help me out folks.

Last edited:
Can't comment on the picture quality from the cameras you mentioned, but underwhelmed isn't how I would describe my feelings about the Fuji system

Started with an X-E1 and now have the X-T1, no complaints here and won't be going back to the larger/heavier set up.

I owned a 40D and 17-55, served me well, but would say the Fuji is at least its equal and in many respects an improvement.

Did however keep a 5D and 70-200, mainly because I don't see the point of unbalancing the smaller camera with a longer heavier lens

I keep going to order the Fuji Xe1 with 18-55 lens and will receive a 55-230 free lens too for £589. I have almost did this about 10 times in the last couple of weeks but keep wondering whether i'm making a mistake as i've been completely underwhelmed by the image quality of micro 4/3rds cameras like the GF3 and EPL5 and i'm wondering if i should stick with a set up like a 50d or similar and 17-55 IS which would not be much more money. I am really undecided about this. My heads thumping thinking about it. Help me out folks.

Regardless of which way you eventually want to go I think that if you're underwhelmed by MFT you must be doing something wrong or at least not getting the best from the kit and I think it's therefore worth trying to figure out exactly what the problem is.

As far as I know the GF3 is an older camera but even so it should give you excellent results at low to medium ISO settings and should only lose out to newer or larger sensor cameras at the higher ISO settings or in very large prints. I think that the Olympus is a newer generation camera and if it is you should get very good image quality even into the higher ISO settings although again this camera will probably lose out to larger sensor cameras at the very highest ISO's or if printing very large.

Maybe you could say what you're shooting with (camera and lens combinations) and how and what problems/complaints have you got with your pictures?
Are you shooting JPEG or raw?
How are you processing your images?
How are you viewing? Screen or print and how big?

I have been shooting my toddler son. With the EPL5 i used the 45mm f1.8 lens mostly and i believe the image qualifty from my older 50d and 50mm f1.8 was far superior. I also had so many more keepers as the AI servo mode could easily keep up with Evan where as the EPL5 just couldn't. I would say that the fact i had moved from the viewfinder to using the screen at the back might have had a lot to do with it as it felt so un-natural to me. I have heard the fuji is excellent hence the reason i was/am going to switch but i heard similar stories about the EPL5.

I suppose i should give it a go then if it doesn't work out i can go back to canon as at least i know what i'll be getting. The reason i sold my canon gear was the size, i was just not using it as much as i should so i'll still be faced with this if i return.

having had both the fuji x-e1 and various canons there are pro's and cons to both. i loved the slower pace of the fuji, shots were taken with more time and consideration, the camera was a joy to use, great for carrying around all day, for landscapes and cityscapes just sitting down, setting up the shot how i wanted , and using the camera and the controls in full manual took me back to the days when i first started.
the downside for me was the EVF. as much as its very high resolution i just couldnt get on with as well as i wanted. the lag when following a moving subject and the clarity compared to an optical viewfinder at times made it difficult to use when tracking moving subjects ( wildlife and even people ).

the canons n the otehr hand, obviously alot heavier to carry around all the gear. but ease and quickness of use . literally switch on and go whatever the situation without even having to think about what i was doing. very much almost point and shoot at times ( which can be a negative ). tracking moving subjects with the optical viewfinder so much easier to deal with.
Image quality with both.. all the current fuji lenses are superb . with a canon DSLR its trickier as if you stick with kit lenses images are never going to be as crisp and clean compared to the fuji kit lenses. you have to step up really to L glass to achieve that same quality which is not only expensive but heavy to carry around too.

honestly if i had a choice i would have kept both systems. the fuji for all my static work ( landscapes, seascapes, still life ) and the canon for wildlife, people and portrait work, sports and avaiation.

really you have to decide first what your main area of shooting is and of course try the fuji out ( i assume youve already used canon before if not then try them both out )
see how they feel in your hands and how you find the controls and ease of use, how you find the viewfinder and the overal performance of the camera first

The X-E1 has the same size sensor (APS-C) as the 50D.. ..so in addition to wondering what you might have been doing wrong to be underwhelmed by MFT I wonder why you're bringing MFT into the thought process at all.

I've come from the 40D to the Fuji X-series (X-Pro1) and don't regret it in the slightest, and the 50D was only a mediocre upgrade from the 40D at best.

But, I rarely shoot action photography (2-3 times per year, and I've been known to shoot football with a manual focus lens even with the 40D) and never birds in flight. Most of what I shoot is slow and considered, and often with a manual focus lens. If I did shoot a lot of action photography I would want a DSLR alongside the mirrorless system.

I have been shooting my toddler son. With the EPL5 i used the 45mm f1.8 lens mostly and i believe the image qualifty from my older 50d and 50mm f1.8 was far superior. I also had so many more keepers as the AI servo mode could easily keep up with Evan where as the EPL5 just couldn't. I would say that the fact i had moved from the viewfinder to using the screen at the back might have had a lot to do with it as it felt so un-natural to me. I have heard the fuji is excellent hence the reason i was/am going to switch but i heard similar stories about the EPL5.

I suppose i should give it a go then if it doesn't work out i can go back to canon as at least i know what i'll be getting. The reason i sold my canon gear was the size, i was just not using it as much as i should so i'll still be faced with this if i return.

The Canon 50mm f1.8 is thought by some to be a rather ordinary lens and poor even at the wider apertures whilst the Oly 45mm f1.8 is good, even wide open.

In your place I'd take a long hard look at the kit and how I shoot and process pictures as it's not always the case that if you move to new gear expecting image quality to improve you actually see an improvement.

Hi folks,

I have heard quite a bit about lag with the evf but does that mean that if you're shooting a kid moving for example the camera is not focusing until the evf does or is it just a case of you're not seeing the subject through the viewfinder but it's still possible to focus on them? I hope you understand what I'm asking here.

I had a 50D for years, loved it. IQ was excellent especially with the little bit of L glass I had 70-200f4 and the 24-105. I have a Fuji X-E2 now and I wouldn't go back to Canon. Fuji gives me the IQ I want, and I have only seen it bettered when I look at the images from my 5D. Focusing on moving subjects is a bit of a trial, but with good techniques and a lot of patience you can usually get a number of keepers.

EVF lag can appear as a smearing of the scene in the viewfinder as a resut of low screen refresh rates when either the camera is moved quickly (e.g.panning) or if a subject within the frame moves quickly (e.g. the young goat you mention). It's a user-experience issue more than anything else - focussing isnt affected, but the X-E1 isn't optimised for moving subjects and won't track focus like a DSLR. Cameras such as the Fuji X-E2 or X-T1 have higher EVF refresh rates and improved focus with moving subjects compared to the X-E1.

I've gone the other way. Had a xe1 with the 35mm but the focus was so slow it couldn't keep up with my 4 year old. I've gone back to m4/3 with a epl5 and 45mm and 20mm.

Hi Matt, I had heard that the 35mm was slow to focus with the xe1 but that the 18-55 was quicker.

Jake thanks for your input too mate. Good to hear from someone who's used both. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase the fuji and if focus speed is a bit of an issue then I could always up grade the body later as I just can't afford it now.

I'll be honest, the X-E1 might struggle to keep up with a toddler. Mine is 10 months and crawling, and it works OK with the 27/2.8 and 35/1.4. No worse than the epl5 with Sigma 30/2.8 or Panasonic 20/1.7. Focusing isn't as quick as my Canon 6D, that much is obvious. But focusing is accurate on the Fuji and it's much easier to hold a small camera upside down, whilst crawling around etc. IMO.

a6000 has one of the better af c of mirrorless

but you should get a instax wide tbh, ok the film isnt cheap, but it is magic, and focusing is less of a issue as its just got near or far :D
and kids adore the physicality of it too

I've got both Fuji X and Canon, and like other find the AF on my X-A1 a little frustrating at time, but IQ is sublime ! 5Dc is great for focusing on moving people, kids etc.. as AF is so much faster esp with my 24 - 105 and 85 1.8 ! Again IQ is sublime with ISO upto about 800, then the Fuji takes over ! :), I've never seen such good high ISO performance right upto 6400 !, even 128000 is usable :)

I also had a GF2, and never got on with it, video was great, but IQ was not in the same league as the Fuji X, and felt disappointed with it even with the 20 1.8 lens.

I was thinking of selling the two zoom lenses and purchasing the 56mm portrait lens as i'm shooting mostly my son and that seems like the best choice for fuji just now. Again though i'm undecided whether or not this is wise.

Just had a call from the only store who had the camera in stock to tell me it's not in stock and it will be with me in roughly 10 days. Chancers.

If you don't want the zooms and if your budget allows for buying a prime without selling off a free lens, then the Fuj refurb shop currently has four silver X-E2 bodies at £399.98 which should also qualify for the usual 10% discount code bringing these down to just under £360.

Unfortunately it doesn't Alastair. My budget of now is approx £720 which would have given me £140 after the camera and 2 lens combo. If i sold the other two for roughly £450 then i would imagine that £570 would allow me to buy the 56mm second hand.

Back