Storr Sunrise

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
A climb up in the dark with a head torch was required to be in position overlooking the Old Man of Storr for this sunrise. Luckily the clocks had changed that week so sunrise was at 6.50am. This was good as it was around an hours climb to get here, so the 4.30am rise was manageable (just).

A 5 image panorama. The original file is over 16,000 pixels!

original.jpg

then the first golden rays of the morning light up the Old Man of Storr.

original.jpg

Very nice.

I was there yesterday but it was just grey drizzle.

Great light and very well seen and captured. Isn't it great when a plan comes together!

Beautiful scenery ,well worth the effort

Thanks!

Brilliant
Fantastic shots, thanks for sharing :)
Brilliant work

Thanks for the comments

Very nice
I was there yesterday but it was just grey drizzle.

I spent 5 days there at the beginning of the month and we only had most of one day of blue skies, the rest were grey and dull

Great light and very well seen and captured. Isn't it great when a plan comes together!

It worked out pretty good though later in the year would be better when the sun rises further down and closer to the Storr. Maybe another time!

Lovely images, the light in the second is just spot on....nice.

The light on the old man, timing and exposure combine to make a superb image.
That's certainly worth hanging on a wall.
Beautiful and well achieved

Lovely images, the light in the second is just spot on....nice.

For about 5 minutes, just as the sun peeked over the bank of cloud on the horizon, the Storr was lit up with this wonderful directional light. Probably one of the best 'golden hours' I've seen for a while.

The light on the old man, timing and exposure combine to make a superb image.
That's certainly worth hanging on a wall.
Beautiful and well achieved

Thanks for taking time to comment.

Great shots, well worth the early rise!

Thanks. Working shifts comes in handy now and again as early rises become second nature.

Both absolutely beautiful.

Lovely images, thank you for posting them. You've done a good job getting up there and it was worth the effort. Hope you're pleased.

Just love the light shining on "The Old Man". :clap:

Both absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Ruth

Lovely images, thank you for posting them. You've done a good job getting up there and it was worth the effort. Hope you're pleased.

Thanks Tom, I am quite pleased. Of course there will always be a better sky with more clouds and more colour but it didn't end up too bad.

Just love the light shining on "The Old Man". :clap:

It was well lit up:)

Two stunning images, Robert.

Thanks Phillip.

The 2nd one is stunning, it could be anywhere in the world, other than the iconic old man of course, and at any time in its history in fact it looks almost prehistoric bloody brilliant mate

Aargh! You were right!

I told you so :)

The 2nd one is stunning, it could be anywhere in the world, other than the iconic old man of course, and at any time in its history in fact it looks almost prehistoric bloody brilliant mate

Apart from the main road that creeps into the frame on the bottom left;) but I do get what you mean. A timeless image.

A couple of wonderful photographs.

Thanks.

Very nice and well worth early start. I think No.1 just shades it for me just a shame the rays didn't light the old man up. Fingers crossed the sun will pop out in early June when I go albeit a 04:30 sunrise :nailbiting:

Nice part of world and light is nice. Panoramic view on first one is nice. Only one thing is none of them look sharp at this size.

Wow stunning colours on #2 and a really good stitch on #1 (what software do you use out of interest?)

I use PTGUI. Very easy to use and nearly 100% perfect, most of the time.

Love the second shot. The lighting is great!

Thanks
Very nice and well worth early start. I think No.1 just shades it for me just a shame the rays didn't light the old man up. Fingers crossed the sun will pop out in early June when I go albeit a 04:30 sunrise :nailbiting:

That would have been perfect. I could have probably got a panorama with the rays hitting the 'old man' but for some reason I never thought about it. In my defence I was taking some film shots too and I did break my D800 while I was up at the 'old man'. A 4.30 sunrise means starting off from the car park at 3.30 if you want to get there in good time for the sunrise. That is a bit early!

Nice part of world and light is nice. Panoramic view on first one is nice. Only one thing is none of them look sharp at this size.

They look sharp to me? One thing I do notice is that when I view on my ipad using the talk photography app, the pics wont show at their full size. The first is 1500 pixels and the second 1000 pixels, but when viewed on the ipad they are lucky to be half that size.

Great shots!

Thanks

Last edited:
They look sharp to me? One thing I do notice is that when I view on my ipad using the talk photography app, the pics wont show at their full size. The first is 1500 pixels and the second 1000 pixels, but when viewed on the ipad they are lucky to be half that size.

Thanks
Yes sorry, not sharp here. No one else has seen it :)

Very very nice images. It's a place I know very well as I have a house on the back of The Storr in Kensaleyre. Great stuff.

Back