Street Photography - Covent Gardens

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
What a blast today was! had so much fun - went to London primarily to see Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre, but spent some time in Covent Gardens to do some photography.

My Wife actually likes our new arrangement, if she ever wants to go shopping - I'll happily wait outside.

My absolute favourite image from today was taken whilst waiting for the train for London.

1 (changed crop)

Curious Girl
by dancook1982, on Flickr

Second place for me, probably goes to this one - with the gentleman's reflection on the head of a mannequin.

Spiffy Reflection

More of a street portrait, this guy was just super cool

Coolest of the Cool

FQ2A8874

Taking in the sights

Full set here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62198876@N02/sets/72157642267060743/

Last edited:
Dan fantastic set and looking great as mono. #2 is my favourite what a capture one off chance. Hope you showed him so he didnt have to imagine himself in the suit instead he can see it first hand.

Cracking stuff! I don't usually comment on things I know little about, but these are superb, especially No.1 perfect timing, and the light on No.3 is great.

Nice to see some street photography that's actually had some thought put into it, rather than just pictures taken on the street, just wish I had the bottle to do it!

Wow great set Dan. I am trying to pick a favourite but really struggling. The reflection one is very poignant almost see an old man looking at his younger self wistfully lost in his memories. The dude is coolness personified but I think it has to be the last one, fantastic background with the cyclist taking in the sights.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Dan, You've done it again matey, a really excellent set of street images. B&W really works well on all of them. Thanks for showing them.(y)

Cracking set Dan- you are getting better each time you shoot - which is great

I love No 1 the little girl looking at the chap reading the paper - tells a story, which is what Street is all about

I would have upped the contrast slightly & cropped the image to remove the darker platform area and cropped, just my personal taste, it seemed to catch my eye

Like this edit

look forward to seeing more from you mate, I've added you to my follow list

Les :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this thread & glad I did just to see the young girl looking at the chap to her right - well funny - keep up the good work Dan (y)

Hi Sean, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but you should start yourself a thread of your own ;)

Hi Sean, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but you should start yourself a thread of your own ;)

Dan, So sorry, posted to the wrong thread.
Bad manners on my part.
I will delete and post elsewhere.

( Nice photos from you, btw :)

Thats probably the best street photogrpahy I HAve seEN in a while wiht every picture telling its own little story ..you just know or interpret yourself whats happening without having to be told and as others say #2 stands out.. but the rest have there own little worlds... great job IMHO

Thanks all

Thats probably the best street photogrpahy I HAve seEN in a while wiht every picture telling its own little story ..you just know or interpret yourself whats happening without having to be told and as others say #2 stands out.. but the rest have there own little worlds... great job IMHO

I'm glad you think so!

I see you opted for my crop then :p:p:p:p:p:p

Les

Yes :) thanks Les.

Thanks John - feel free to see the rest of the set :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62198876@N02/sets/72157642267060743/

There's quite a variety.

Cracking set. I really like the concept of street photography and would really like to give it a go but am concerned that some people may take offence to a camera pointed at them. In your set on Flickr, the business man appears to be looking straight at you - have you ever had anyone confront you?

Cheers,
Lee

Cracking set. I really like the concept of street photography and would really like to give it a go but am concerned that some people may take offence to a camera pointed at them. In your set on Flickr, the business man appears to be looking straight at you - have you ever had anyone confront you?

Cheers,
Lee

No one has confronted me yet, but then I've only been doing street photography for just less than a month.

I miss lots of potential shots because I'm overly cautious about pointing my camera at people, however there seems to be enough other opportunities where I feel more relaxed about it.

I started with the 135mm, and have just recently started mixing it up with the 85mm.

I have a developed different approach for each. The 85mm @ 1.2 and a fast shutter speed, I can walk and shoot at the same time. I have been happy with this to be able to get closer to people.

The 135mm, I would stake out a spot, and just look around and let people come to me.

Take it with a pinch of salt :D as I said.. less than a month, not a seasoned pro heh

I've shot lots recently using 14mm and 24mm on a full frame, so really close.
Sometimes you can catch that moment of realisation...

No one has confronted me yet, but then I've only been doing street photography for just less than a month.

I miss lots of potential shots because I'm overly cautious about pointing my camera at people, however there seems to be enough other opportunities where I feel more relaxed about it.

I started with the 135mm, and have just recently started mixing it up with the 85mm.

I have a developed different approach for each. The 85mm @ 1.2 and a fast shutter speed, I can walk and shoot at the same time. I have been happy with this to be able to get closer to people.

The 135mm, I would stake out a spot, and just look around and let people come to me.

Take it with a pinch of salt :D as I said.. less than a month, not a seasoned pro heh

Thanks for your reply. I think I may get a top loader bag and take the 55 - 200 kit lens out for a walk. I like the idea of staking out a location and letting the shot come to you as it were. Sounds like an easier, if potentially less fruitful, way of going about it to start.

Thanks for your reply. I think I may get a top loader bag and take the 55 - 200 kit lens out for a walk. I like the idea of staking out a location and letting the shot come to you as it were. Sounds like an easier, if potentially less fruitful, way of going about it to start.

To do street photography you must be 6'7" tall, weigh 20 stone, be solid muscle, have a Black Belt 10th Dan in Karate & be able to run faster than Usain Bolt :)

Back