B&W Street Photography Dubai

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
After shooting some street photography yesterday in London and not having the chance to process them yet I'll reminisce with a little collection of shots from Dubai. If anyone ever visits it's well worth getting lost in the areas around the souks in Deira and Bur Dubai (Gold Souk, Spice Souk and Textile Souk with the water taxis (abras) connecting the two over the creek for 1AED a trip). The street vendors may annoy you after a while but if you're there early you can catch people setting up for the day, grab some street shots and stay cooler as well. Night time is great too, with a lot of activity until late and lots of people relaxing after a long day.

1. Caught peeping

p697291044-5.jpg

2. Shisha bar at night

p2107239425-5.jpg

3. Bakery in Deira

p2097246887-5.jpg

4. Big Brother's watching you

p776155988-5.jpg

5. After the rain

p1029091300-5.jpg

6. A ghost in the souk

p1680471342-5.jpg

7. Relaxed porter

p1892598167-5.jpg

8. Cat Nap

p993701725-5.jpg

I like the shots, but can't help wondering if some of the vibrance of the place is missed by going black and white?

Having said that, I am fond of monochrome - how's that for sitting on the fence!

The shot for me is Cat Nap. Do you think a tighter crop to remove a large part of the left hand side, perhaps up to the shoes, would emphasis the title?

I like the shots, but can't help wondering if some of the vibrance of the place is missed by going black and white?

Having said that, I am fond of monochrome - how's that for sitting on the fence!

I like them but i agree its always a hard one,i think iwould have gone with color :)

I've off to Dubai in November, having read up about what's allowed - #1 would worry me somewhat :)

Hi Dan - This was from the far side of a street with an 85mm lens on a full frame body - I wouldn't get too close if you're shooting street with Emirati women in the frame. In other words, it wasn't evident that I was taking a shot with them in.

Street shooting is good in Dubai - only things to watch for are photographing:

police
banks
embassies/consulates
military facilities
(plus around the airport)

Emirati women are generally a no-no, unless they're in a tourist attraction (showing traditional crafts etc in tourist villages), Emirati men are generally more than happy to be photographed. If you do wish to photograph an Emirati woman with permission then approach the male family member that they are with as many will not talk to you directly.

Back