Street Portraiture - First outing with EM-1

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
This camera is tiny compared to my gripped 5dm3 and 135mm f2 (with 1.4x TC!)

Didn't feel as self conscious and felt I could be ignored better using the tilt LCD screen - even remote control via phone was quite handy.

20 photos in my set on flickr, even some colour ones! Here's a selection.

1 P4170229 by dancook1982, on Flickr

2 P4170211 by dancook1982, on Flickr

3 P4170173 by dancook1982, on Flickr

4 P4170154 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Thought I'd replaced 5&6 with something else - changed after Steve's post, wasn't keen on diluting set.

5 P4170178 by dancook1982, on Flickr

6 xx

7 P4170054 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely done again Dan. Really like the first three and the B&W treatment suits the subjects and the environs. The two girls are stunning but I would personally have preferred more space to the right. Shame about the reflection in 5 but still well spotted . 6 is probably the weakest of the set but you finish off nicely with the old man. Wonder why he was covering his mouth, stifling a yawn or has he spotted something, maybe the two girls? :)

Steve

Last edited:
Nicely done again Dan. Really like the first three and the B&W treatment suits the subjects and the environs. The two girls are stunning but I would personally have preferred more space to the right. Shame about the reflection in 5 but still well spotted . 6 is probably the weakest of the set but you finish off nicely with the old man. Wonder why he was covering his mouth, stifling a yawn or has he spotted something, maybe the two girls? :)

Steve

Thanks Steve, shame that the reflection didn't line up better?

Dan just seen the thread but going off line so will in the morning & at the fuller set of Flickr (y)

Already spoke to you on FlickR about these but thought I'd give a big (y) here as well matey - my favs from above would go to #1 and #5 :)

Hi Dan, There's times matey when you really p*** me off in the nicest possible way. I was kinda thinkin' that by you working with an alternative unit would give the rest of us morsels a chance of catching up a bit, then you go and produce an excellent set like this plus the ones on your Fickr stream. I like them all but #1, #2, & #3 have got everything.(y)

Hi Dan, There's times matey when you really p*** me off in the nicest possible way. I was kinda thinkin' that by you working with an alternative unit would give the rest of us morsels a chance of catching up a bit, then you go and produce an excellent set like this plus the ones on your Fickr stream. I like them all but #1, #2, & #3 have got everything.(y)

hah thanks, the em-1 is definitely no slouch and it will allow me the confidence to take photos I would have avoided before :)

Dan just had a good look at them all on Flickr & like so many of them I don't know where to start other than to say keep them coming (y)

In the past two days I thought I'd try some by having my camera (Nikon D5100 with flippy screen) on my lap (me in wheelchair) but didn't get the settings right, missed the targets so absolute failure. So next I tried the same with my Canon G15 but kept missing - should have kept my Nikon P7700 which did have a flippy screen & on which I did take one or two last summer. So I need to rethink :thinking:

Cheers John

Flippy screen sure helps with being invisible - I took photos of people within a few feet and they were none the wiser..

Was out all day today (not street photography, but managed a little), I'll add a few from today to this thread, rather than pollute the portrait forum :D

I'm not necessarily looking for targeted feedback (too many) just wanted to share :)

8 P4180020 by dancook1982, on Flickr

9 P4180031 by dancook1982, on Flickr

10 P4180038 by dancook1982, on Flickr

11 P4180056 by dancook1982, on Flickr

12 P4180087 by dancook1982, on Flickr

13 P4180097 by dancook1982, on Flickr

14 - my wife :D heheP4180109 by dancook1982, on Flickr

15 P4180111 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Dan yes glad you keep putting these up as they are inspiring me to try again & dig out stuff from last year or o which I had binned but may re-look :thinking:

Dan yes glad you keep putting these up as they are inspiring me to try again & dig out stuff from last year or o which I had binned but may re-look :thinking:

Hmm are you being cheeky and saying you would normally bin these.kind of.shots, but as being as I post them it... Hehe

Hmm are you being cheeky and saying you would normally bin these.kind of.shots, but as being as I post them it... Hehe

No you know I never meant your shots - I'm very selective on TP whose threads I do look at & whose threads I praise - you're on the 'select' list :p

Back