Critique Strobes in snow

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
So I managed to persuade my daughter out into the front garden whilst it was snowing for a couple of quick shots (cost me £2.99 in itunes vouchers to bribe her outdoors lol).

Anyway, for this shot I've used three speedlights. One in a softbox camera left, one behind and on the ground pointed back the way to try and give a rim light and another on wide zoom behind her but pointed up into the sky to light the snow. Gear was getting wet and it was cold so didnt have time to meter and settings were a best guess with a couple of in camera adjustments. Whole shoot lasted less than a minute lol.

Any critque or advice most welcomed.

Cheers.

Snow!!
by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think it's a really good photo but the fact that you did it in under a minute is amazing.

I haven't tried bribery on my daughter : maybe I should! :)

I love this, I've just started experimenting with off camera flash and this is a great example

Nice shot and thanks for the explanation, shame your daughter wasn't doing something that looked more "fun" rather than "im freezing here dad!" lol, maybe if we get a good load of snow you can get her to put some gloves on as well, poor girl! lol

Nice shot Michael, and very well executed.(y)

Let your daughter read this !!! "IT'S WORTH MORE THAN £2.99" :D

George.

Superb shot very well done under the time pressure there, my only crit is to crop off the car entering frame on the right. Other than that excellent work.

Cheers guys.

Colour version here for interest. I had a few issues with white balance caused by the sodium street lights and un-gelled flashes.

I think I prefer the mono but interested to hear thoughts.

_DSC8316 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

great shots, do prefer the colour version out of the 2!

The mono one looks a bit lighter than the colour one, especially her hands and face. I think the colour one has more going for it but they're both fine shots.

I think it's a really good photo but the fact that you did it in under a minute is amazing.

I haven't tried bribery on my daughter : maybe I should! :)

It's not bribery; it's modelling fees. It's a straightforward business arrangement so my 10 year old son tells me. :)

great shot, mono really works

When I saw the snow I grabbed my camera, and then the wife asked what I was doing, by the time I'd told her (and explained that I wasn't mad) it had stopped :(

Maybe I'll catch next years!

Mono works better for me, take advantage while you can because believe me that £2.99 will rise a hell of a lot more than inflation as she gets older

Just logged into this, what a corker.
Great timing, no flakes over the eyes.
Love the mono work

So I managed to persuade my daughter out into the front garden whilst it was snowing for a couple of quick shots (cost me £2.99 in itunes vouchers to bribe her outdoors lol).

Any critque or advice most welcomed.

Cheers.

Snow!!
by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

Mono for me. Love the OOF snowflakes. lighting looks good but I am no expert on off camera flash, I'd be happy with this, no delighted with it, personally!
Crit? Well, assuming that you might shoot again if you can bribe her again, it seems that her arms are 'neither here nor there' - id suggest getting her to tightly grip herself as if rrreally cold, and maybe to get her to scrunch her shoulders up and make a brrrrrr noise, to accentuate the cold feeling?
Nice work.

Can't really add any critique but wanted to say excellent work! Really love the mono - it's not a 'standard' kind of shot you see all the time and you've absolutely nailed all the technical aspects.
Well done!
Regards
Jim

Back