Studio Student Boxing portraits

Name
urrrm.... Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I got some volunteers from the local student boxing club to pose in a studio for me.
great sports the lot of them
I didn't get quite what I wanted but it was a great opportunity to experiment

feedback welcome
Due to the nature of the project this turned into a "one lighting fits all" production line with little chance to really play and re-shoot....so 3-4 shots, then I brought the next one in.
partly as I didn't want my volunteer subjects to get bored and also I was running out of biscuits!

1. Team Photo

IMG_8734
by DizMatt, on Flickr

IMG_869
6 by DizMatt, on Flickr

IMG_8618
by DizMatt, on Flickr

IMG_8668
by DizMatt, on Flickr

IMG_8659
by DizMatt, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like these.

Even 4 which has a lot of open space on the right. Least favourite is 3 (for me) which is the one that is most square on.

To me the lighting is good for all of them and in particular I am not conscious that the clarity is OTT for the women.

I would be every pleased with these if I had taken them(y)

Ideally with boxers you want to see muscles and abs and then use hard strip lights to sculpt them.

hi, thanks for the comments
#4, I deliberately included more dead space
#3 yes, something more oblique would be good.
for the female boxer, I didn't want to go down a route of skin smoothing, but something grittier. although I did have a MUA who setup the ladies make-up.

My hope was to start playing with narrower fields of light but in the end I didn't have the time to do so. also the guys came dressed as you see, so that's what I had to work with at this stage.

#1 looks lob sided and is cropped too close to top and chopped off some of feet for my tatse.... don't like at all..

rest are OK .....

sorry but but theres nothing jumping out the screen.. its just boxers in a pose as they will do naturally as soon as you point a camera at them... Looks like some thought went into #4 .. otherwise all a bit boring I am afraid ...

#1 looks lob sided and is cropped too close to top and chopped off some of feet for my tatse.... don't like at all..

rest are OK .....

sorry but but theres nothing jumping out the screen.. its just boxers in a pose as they will do naturally as soon as you point a camera at them... Looks like some thought went into #4 .. otherwise all a bit boring I am afraid ...

no worries, nothing to be sorry about. thanks for the feedback.
it was partly an exercise in getting them through a process with a little experimentation. I hope to have more time to play and experiment more on my next attempt.
All of my studio time previous has been course based so even less control which is always frustrating.

The poses are fairly natural and I only changed a few things (partly due to time and "model" comfort), such as when a glove with a white spot didn't work outside the body line, or a rear hand causing a large shadow on the face.
#1 I don't mind the "wonkiness" although it's not to all tastes. but yes, I have knocked of the feet a bit, that bugged me a bit too. I cropped in on the top deliberately but I will have a rethink and see how I can improve based upon your comment.
I took around 5 of this group shot and this was the best from everyone's expression, i'll frame more carefully in the future.
My aim was to get used to some studio lighting with this sort of model, I'll get more creative on the next run.

thanks for taking the time to have a look

Look forward to some creative ones then.. I ahve to say what I feel but then feels like I am attacking... so am happy you took the right way :)

Back