Critique Studio Lighting

Name
Scott Dance
Edit My Images
No
I have started a little studio project and would welcome your thoughts on this image. Down light and I wanted a moody look to the image . Has it been achieved or should it be a little brighter. I have opened myself up a little, but all comments welcome RiaRose6.jpg

I’m not sure this shouldn’t be in the G&N section, you may want to request to move it.
The pose is good and the lighting isn’t awful. I would however usually avoid a body part being more brightly lit than the face (assuming the face is the important part to you) therefore I’d say the right shoulder is a bit hot for me. Also the ‘red’ object attracts attention, without having a purpose, creates a slightly unbalanced composition.

But for a ‘novice’ it’s great work.

@Phil V Thank you for your comments. The points you have raised are greatly appreciated . A little more work in post to bring the lighting to more of a balance as you have suggested (y)

@Phil V Thank you for your comments. The points you have raised are greatly appreciated . A little more work in post to bring the lighting to more of a balance as you have suggested (y)
Oh; you don’t know the crowd when it comes to lighting questions. ;)

The answer is never ‘more work in post to fix the lighting’, that’s the preserve of some terrible fb groups.

Obviously in photography there’s never only one way, or one ‘right way’, but it’s always quicker and easier to fix the lighting by adjusting lights and reflectors than sat at a computer.

Obviously in photography there’s never only one way, or one ‘right way’, but it’s always quicker and easier to fix the lighting by adjusting lights and reflectors than sat at a computer.

Phil's right of course ;) - but I'd like to encourage you to think about *why* you're lighting someone in a particular way, not just *how*. It was something missing from my own stuff for ages, took a long time for the penny to drop.

Back