Studio Studio shoot with UK's first eye tattooed model

Name
Dave Peacock
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first shoot in quite a while and really enjoyed picking up the camera again.
I'm open to critique as I'm always looking to learn.

The model was a nice man called Peter. He is the UK's and possible Europe's only eye tattooed model.
He has both eyeballs inked black (about as extreme as it gets!)

He asked for some shots to send in to a UK magazine.

peter-1.jpg peter-3.jpg peter-4small.jpg peter-5small.jpg

HI Dave.
Very unusual subject to photograph for sure. I wouldnt really know what to do or how to light them. That said going from the title of this thread I would have expected to see more of Peters eyes.
I get that they are inked black but to my eyes the eys sockets are apearing very dark. I am thinking we still need to get some reflection in there. Or maybe that was the idea to have the dead eyes look and i'm way off the mark ? I do like the moody lighting though.

Like I say i'm not a photographer so please take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Gaz

Last edited:
Thankyou for the replies.
I do have some close up shots of his eyes and some closer head shots which also show his eyes.
I will post them up once ive got through the edit list.

The focus wasn't to be completely on his eyes.
Even though it is an extreme modification he has so much done that its hard to get it all.
He wanted to get his hair in which goes down his legs, his eyes, his horns and his piercings.

The main thing im gutted I didn't think to do was his tongue poking out as it is split in half like a snake.
Peter does fire breathing so im hoping to do more work with him, I'll also make sure I get some more portrait shot.

Ok, I am not a studio photographer but I would not know where to start to photograph Peter, he has just so much going on !

Only comment on the last shot (post 7) could the tone curve be adjusted a tiny bit to emphasise the eye colour ?, still looks dark on my monitor.

Appreciate that this is your gig, this is just my £0.02.

Overall, an amazing photo set though.

And I never knew you could tattoo eyes... That last one is amazing and the white background ones are cool too.

Fantastic set of shots though of a very hardcore character.(y)

Hi Dave

I was thinking about grabbing the RGB curve about a quarter of the way up and moving it left a touch to boost the brown colour in his eye to give more contrast between the brown and black. Probably causes a bit of a loss of the gritty-feel of the image though so maybe a crap idea on my part ?

I saw these on TLS, too.. a very curious chap, I'd love to do something with him.

These shots are technically fine but I can't help but feel there's something missing. I'm struggling to work out what it is, though. The black eyes make it look as though there isn't enough light in them but that's probably not the case. In the white background shots and the last one the catchlights and improved background separation help.

fwiw I'd probably have tried for rather more dramatic / harder lighting and to have got some texture on the background. It'd be fun to do something including lots of fire - though not him firebreathing. Perhaps lots of torches on poles in the background and maybe foreground, and an orange or straw gelled snooted speedlight emulating firelight on his face, probably from quite low to do a bit of 'horror' lighting. I'd try to do it at dusk to get a deep blue sky to contrast with the orange flames.

..In fact I may just try something like that for my next shoot, it's a while since I've done any fire stuff.

Back