Stunning jeweled wasp

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
This little guy was trapped in the kitchen window so dinner was delayed whilst I clambered all over the kitchen sink to get some shots:

p42587445-4.jpg

p161079026-4.jpg

p285125100-4.jpg

Carl

They are beautiful little wasps aren't they Carl, has to be one of my favourite uk insects I think. super shots too btw (y)

Wow - there's colour and there's COLOUR.

I didn't even know these existed :)

Nice capture, in fact super capture.

They are beautiful little wasps aren't they Carl, has to be one of my favourite uk insects I think. super shots too btw (y)

Thanks Alby, remebered to compensate for the white window sill this time! He's a stunner and I almost just dismissed it as a bog standard ichneumon and was going to crack on with dinner..

Wow Carl I saw one of these today didnt know it was wasp I thought it was a fly LOL, fab shots :clap:

Cheers Dave, my missus had a fit when I said it was a wasp :D I didn't have time to point out it's harmless to humans, she was off like a shot!

Wow - there's colour and there's COLOUR.

I didn't even know these existed :)

Nice capture, in fact super capture.

Thanks Gavin, the metallic blue / green is stunning and I love the "Hammerite" finish he's sporting too :D

Absolutly stunning sharpness and the colours are so vivid. I have never seen such a wasp. Keep them in Southport please :).

Amazing images

Lover the detailed colours in these shots - are for simply running about a Kitchen, we would never had known.

Professional!

Cheers Dave, my missus had a fit when I said it was a wasp :D I didn't have time to point out it's harmless to humans, she was off like a shot!

phew Im glad they dont sting I was going to catch it and get some shots, but I was busy, wished I had now LOL as said Carl stunning shots :clap: are they a new species to UK, I dont ever remember seeing them till today

Last edited:
I found one earlier this week link Not in the same league as yours Carl but I was about six feet away and it was a snapshot :) Yours are stunning matey :clap:

Fantastic photo's

I too have not seen them before - off to check my kitchen window :)

beautiful colours and wonderful pics...beautifully sharp... I particularly like the second one, good capture

but oh god please dont let me meet one...stuff of nightmares!!(southport is too close to me!!)

Cheers for the great feedback everyone, proof that you should always keep your camera handy as you never know (y)

I found one earlier this week link Not in the same league as yours Carl but I was about six feet away and it was a snapshot :) Yours are stunning matey :clap:

Captive audience mate!!

Or you could send them over to me in Cardiff:LOL:

If I find another maybe I could do a TP Macro pass around??

beautiful colours and wonderful pics...beautifully sharp... I particularly like the second one, good capture

but oh god please dont let me meet one...stuff of nightmares!!(southport is too close to me!!)

:LOL: Don't panic, he was only a tiddler and he's only a threat to other bees / wasps!

Stunning pictures, incredible animal too. How did you light it? With your clever flash set up?

excellent Carl (y) was just browsing them on your flickr, i have never heard of them, but they really are pretty creatures

Stunning pictures, incredible animal too. How did you light it? With your clever flash set up?

Thanks Ash, lit it with my flowerpot flash setup! It was a bit skin of the teeth with the exposure due to the white backdrop but it came off in the end (more by luck than judgement!).

Stunning captures indeed. What a pretty wasp. never seen one, or have any knowledge of them. Do they have a sting etc or are a pain like our regular picnic botherers?

I believe they are harmless to us humans but their larvae are parasitic to other breeds of wasp.

excellent Carl (y) was just browsing them on your flickr, i have never heard of them, but they really are pretty creatures

Ta Bob, finally earnt me an explore / interestingness on FlickR!!

Wow, stunning shots! I didn't know we had rainbow-like wasps in the UK :D

Thanks Ash, lit it with my flowerpot flash setup! It was a bit skin of the teeth with the exposure due to the white backdrop but it came off in the end (more by luck than judgement!).

Ah wicked, it's perfectly lit :) Odd question, I might have missed the answer, was it alive?

Ta Bob, finally earnt me an explore / interestingness on FlickR!!

Get in! :clap: It's odd, and sort of means nothing really.... but it make's you feel really proud doesn't it? :LOL: I got my POTY entry this month Explore'd, albeit quite low down. First one in like 4 months :)

Ah wicked, it's perfectly lit :) Odd question, I might have missed the answer, was it alive?

Get in! :clap: It's odd, and sort of means nothing really.... but it make's you feel really proud doesn't it? :LOL: I got my POTY entry this month Explore'd, albeit quite low down. First one in like 4 months :)

He was alive and kicking but he was pretty stationary as it must have been bath night and he kept having a wash :)

Proud to get my first explore as FlickR stats are like crack cocaine and as meaningless as it maybe I get a kick out of seeing 500+ hits a day...

Proud to get my first explore as FlickR stats are like crack cocaine and as meaningless as it maybe I get a kick out of seeing 500+ hits a day...

Yeh definitely :) I love seeing a flurry of comments on pictures and new people adding you as a contact, gives you a feeling you're doing something right :)

We had a barbie last night and a few of those were flying around, I thought they were flies, the electronic fly killer took two out, I feel all guilty now :(

Great shots and an educating thread, I normally hate wasps but reading about these has made me feel all 'warm' towards this specis at least.

Matt

What are those Carl :thinking:

Basically everyday FlickR chooses 500 images to feature on it's 'Explore' page which just gives you a bit more exposure and a few more fans, I've seen the number of hits on my photostream increase x10... In reality it means bugger all but it boosts the old ego ;)

Basically everyday FlickR chooses 500 images to feature on it's 'Explore' page which just gives you a bit more exposure and a few more fans, I've seen the number of hits on my photostream increase x10... In reality it means bugger all but it boosts the old ego ;)

deserved ;)

Back