Stupid question... but is this dust bad!

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
at first i noticed a couple of specs, but then i did a test to find out how much i had on the sensor. Here is my result. (yes i know the lens suffers from vignetting)

IMG_3766.jpg

Advice on how to get rid of the buggers would be appreciated. I have only had the camera a couple of months, and rarely change lenses, so it baffles me how so much could get onto the bloody sensor!

That looks pretty bad to me. But whether or not it actually matters is a different question. What aperture was it shot at? What kinds of apertures do you use? What would this shot look like, at an aperture that you usually use?

Anyway, a rocket blower will get rid of most dust. But it also looks like you have a fingerprint on there (those parallel lines in the centre of the frame) - so you might benefit from a wet clean as well. Search for 'sensor cleaning' and you'll find any amount of advice.

I agree with the rocket blower theory, I got mines from jessops and its very good imho.

Wet Sensor cleaning, I would'nt try but I know a lot of people dont mind doing it themselves. I personally would leave that to the professionals if I ever need it done.

I use the arctic buttlerly dust removal tool. Works wonders and is a dry way of cleaning the sensor.

at first i noticed a couple of specs, but then i did a test to find out how much i had on the sensor. Here is my result. (yes i know the lens suffers from vignetting)

IMG_3766.jpg

Advice on how to get rid of the buggers would be appreciated. I have only had the camera a couple of months, and rarely change lenses, so it baffles me how so much could get onto the bloody sensor!

I'm guessing you used 'Auto Levels' in Photoshop to produce that image in which case, as bad as that may look, I doubt much of that would actually shows in an 'average' image taken at up to f/11 or so. My 40D was very much worse than that and a couple of blows with a rocker blower followed by a couple of swipes with a Lenspen 'Sensorklear' then a couple more blows with the rocket blower brought the sensor back to pristine condition.

Back