Suggest a aircraft carry-on friendly bag / roller / case

Name
Xavier
Edit My Images
Yes
At the end of the month, I'll be going to France via Ryanair for a family wedding I plan to shoot.

I want to avoid checking bags in at the airport, partly 'cos I'm tight after spending it all on camera gear :D and partly because I just don't trust them :shake:

Considering I'll be taking, most likely, two bodies, 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 plus a few bits 'n' pieces, what would you recommend? I'll be packing my clothes around to provide padding and keep it all in one bag.

Current limits are: 60cm x 40cm x 20cm and 10kg. I reckon the weight will be the toughest one.

I've looked at thinktank bags and the like, but they're rather pricey particularly for a one-off flight (for the time being anyway).

So, what do you use? :)

I went wth easy jet same size I think - had a 400d, 70-200 Lf4 and 10-20 in a lowerpro over the shoulder bag, which I then put in a small backpack that just about met the sizes. It could then double up at the other end as a day pack in addition to the camera bag, and will get used again for short trips. With two bodies, well it's a good thing France is warm then as you might not get that many clothes in as well!

Good luck and sorry if this was not that much help.

al

LOL Thanks Al. I have a lowe slingshot 200 which is great, but not quite big enough for both bodies, lenses AND clothes :)

I'll need a bit of clothes as I'll need formal as well as casual clothes (going for a week), but will have access to a washing machine and cheap Tshirts :D

The Lowepro Computrekker AW Plus (and other equivalents) is the biggest that can fit in the size cage (without stuffing it deeper than its natural depth). It weighs 2.75kg, so I can't see you getting all your camera stuff and clothes below 10kg in either this bag or something similar. You might be lucky if you stick to ladies underwear and other lightweight clothing.

A quick look at Ryanair's web site on cabin allowance doesn't reveal what they will charge you for excess. I'm still a bit surprised that they haven't tried to charge me for looking at the web site too. One day.......

Stop flying budget airlines,problem solved.......(y)

The Lowepro Computrekker AW Plus (and other equivalents) is the biggest that can fit in the size cage (without stuffing it deeper than its natural depth). It weighs 2.75kg, so I can't see you getting all your camera stuff and clothes below 10kg in either this bag or something similar. You might be lucky if you stick to ladies underwear and other lightweight clothing.

A quick look at Ryanair's web site on cabin allowance doesn't reveal what they will charge you for excess. I'm still a bit surprised that they haven't tried to charge me for looking at the web site too. One day.......
LOL thanks :)
Stop flying budget airlines,problem solved.......(y)
True in a way, but even if I weren't flying budget, I'd still prefer to have it as carry on baggage than checking-in five grand's worth of gear ;) Although I understand they can be more lenient. I've taken a full desktop PC back once in cabin and cabin crew were very helpful and offered to put it in the coat cupboard in business class (y)

A lot of people don't bother looking at BA because they automatically think that they will be more expensive. But sometimes they can be cheaper, or almost the same price. They have a price comparison calculator on their web site now, to show how Ryanair and Easyjet's addons can inflate a ticket price.

BA don't specify a max cabin bag weight, just a size and the ability to lift it overhead. I have seen it somewhere that they recommend a max of 23kg. I've had my camera bag loaded up to that and for most people it's more than enough, and it does take some lifting.

A lot of people don't bother looking at BA because they automatically think that they will be more expensive. But sometimes they can be cheaper, or almost the same price. They have a price comparison calculator on their web site now, to show how Ryanair and Easyjet's addons can inflate a ticket price.

BA don't specify a max cabin bag weight, just a size and the ability to lift it overhead. I have seen it somewhere that they recommend a max of 23kg. I've had my camera bag loaded up to that and for most people it's more than enough, and it does take some lifting.
True. I did look at flying BA, partly because I have a shed load of miles to use up and as you say, their blind eye on cabin weight is a good thing for us togs :D (the 23kg is checked in luggage limit I think). Problem is that I'm flying to PUF and only Ryanair or Air France fly there. BA's closest destinations are Toulouse or Bordeaux and then it's a 2hr train so I just can't be bothered.
AF pricing is very good, but it ends up being expensive because I have to transfer via Paris CDG and so end up paying 3 lots of airport taxes...

Final ticket cost with Ryanair is about £80 return including all charges, CC booking fees, etc, so hardly expensive :)

True. I did look at flying BA, partly because I have a shed load of miles to use up and as you say, their blind eye on cabin weight is a good thing for us togs :D (the 23kg is checked in luggage limit I think).

Yes the 23kg applies to checked luggage. But for a period they did put up a recommendation (or limit?) of 23kg for cabin baggage too. It's either been removed or I can't find it. Either way they are still amongst the best for photographers. Let's hope they don't change it to raise more money.

LowePro Vertex 200 fits the baggage size allowance, and has plenty of capacity. I also carry my DSLR body, 70-200mm f2.8 and SB-600 flash in a TopLoader AW 75 hanging from my shoulder, to save weight & space, and they treat that as if it weren't even a piece of luggage. Just hanging the camera around your neck and wearing your lenses on a belt would probably have the same effect.

Back