Suicidal Lion

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
First time I've really tried anything like this with my photography.

The idea came as I noticed my girlfriend left the bleach out on the kitchen counter. Something just clicked into place.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The thought behind it was as an anti-suicide campaign for younger people...

At first the caption read: "What's the point in carrying on?" but I decided that was too cynical and suggestive, instead of discouraging.

Thanks for looking.

Suicidal Lion by danjama, on Flickr

I guess I can see what you were thinking of here, but to me it's not overly obvious without the title as to what you were going for, and that comes from someone that had a relative on my mums side that actually did take there life that way :thinking: this is partially down to the fact that I had to read the back of the bottle first to see what the chemical was :LOL:

A couple of development ideas could be turn the beach round and to the rear use a shallow DoF to have the lion sharp and the bleach blurred to a position that it's really soft but not so soft that you don't know what it is :thinking: but to me drinking bleach is still not a obvious way to go.

So maybe a bottle of pills on there side spilled out with a glass of water ready to take them :thinking: to be that would be a more obvious way to go

Matt
MWHCVT

I guess I can see what you were thinking of here, but to me it's not overly obvious without the title as to what you were going for, and that comes from someone that had a relative on my mums side that actually did take there life that way :thinking: this is partially down to the fact that I had to read the back of the bottle first to see what the chemical was :LOL:

A couple of development ideas could be turn the beach round and to the rear use a shallow DoF to have the lion sharp and the bleach blurred to a position that it's really soft but not so soft that you don't know what it is :thinking: but to me drinking bleach is still not a obvious way to go.

So maybe a bottle of pills on there side spilled out with a glass of water ready to take them :thinking: to be that would be a more obvious way to go

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks for the quick feedback. Good points I think. I tried to draw attention the the big red cross on the bottle, by placing it at that angle. That should automatically tell people it's bad to consume. Then I added the caption to let people know the Lion's 'thoughts'.

I wanted to use the bleach bottle because I thought it might make someone think about -

How the Lion got the lid off...and
How the Lion is going to drink it...

Considering he is half the size of the bottle and a cuddly toy :LOL:

Just trying to think as a younger person might.

I have a feeling you won't be the only person that thinks it doesn't quite make sense, but it's my own fault, and it's good to hear others' perceptions.

I like the idea i think the meaning may be a bit more striking if the lion were laying on its side

Well the second I saw the red square I got what you were trying to portray. Not saying it dosen't happen as it does but a bottle of pills is the most common of all methods. I have enough years in the health service to know what comes up more often.
The idea of a bottle of spilt pills is possibly a better theme though I would also consider doing something with the caption encouraging people to talk about their problems. Maybe a toy elephant and a caption "Need a friendly ear" or I'm a good listener and talking is always the best option.
Just a few ideas hope they help.

John.

If you wanted to stick with the bleach theme, I personally would suggest using something less fake than the toy lion.
Try the bleach bottle with say a kitten or puppy, something everyone of all ages would see and think OMG! It would make more of an impact and stick in peoples memory better.
The bottle with say some milk on the counter with the kitten lapping it up would give an obvious and yet not over the top portrayal of the bleach being drunk.

Back