Summer throwback

Name
Ashish Tamhane
Edit My Images
Yes
Now that the dark nights are here and it's cold outside I thought what better time than to work upon some processing skills? So here is a photo from Bournemouth from the summer of 2023. I started off with a preset in Lightroom that was a bit close to a high key-ish type processing and then worked on the Darks, Lights and Shadows to create a pastel type look. Did some masking and colour correction too. After that it was just a matter of playing with the colour mixer to fine tune the result.

Comments and critique welcome. Thanks for looking.

_ADT1026-3_110618.jpg

Just a thought.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for taking out the time to edit the image and suggest this composition. I appreciate your feedback.

Some of the positives and negatives that I can think of from this crop are:

1. Subject gets more focus because its placed in the lower left side as per the Rules of Thirds
2. The overall composition loses out the sand formation at the bottom side which I think has a nice shape and complements the cool colors of the sea.

On the topic of cropping I generally do not crop the photo so heavily. I sort of have placed a restriction on myself for cropping as I think it starts to become a crutch way too soon. Its just my way of looking for good compositions and get it right within the viewfinder.

Thanks,
Ashish

I think I've asked this before - is this posed or candid?

It's fine for a holiday snap, not sure it works as a posed portrait. It doesn't really tell us anything about the subject or the fashion and not a heap about the location.

It’s a candid shot. In hindsight I guess this photo is better placed in the Travel section rather than over here.

Thanks Simon for pointing that out. Can we move this to the Travel section please.

Back