weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

thanks for the comments - mainly I used the hand as it is a hand-made hand :) and by adding the hand-made rings I thought, well, you know...

I really like that :) I'd have the tip of the finger in shot at the top, but other than that I think it's great.

Very good! A hand-made hand, with hand-made rings. Fantastic concept, but I think I'd be tempted to crop out the thumb pointing towards us? Still, its very nice and I like it.

Yes works well for the theme and yes will agree it’s a bit spooky looks like the hand needs to go back to Madam Tussauds,
Would be nice not to have the little bit of blown highlight on the top ring as I was trying to read it.

Hi Summer, sorry not popping past much.

Secure - excellent take on the theme, very original and good use of Black and white :)

Industry - Maybe slightly OOF but I like it and I thought it said industry before reading the comments.

Root - Another good take on the theme, whys the bamboo lucky? Liking the colours and use of DOF.

Handmade - well you got this one covered from every angle, agree with comments on the lighting of the top ring but apart from that another good take on the theme

Keep up the good work

thanks guys - give me a shout if I missed yours

also the light is just daylight through the window :)

Hi Summer

Root....having read all the feedback on this shot I feel a bit like the odd man out....I like the lighting ,good plain BG & it's right on theme but I'm struggling with the focus point :thinking: Viewed it at various sizes on flickr , medium 640 looks sharper for some reason ....would have been a belter if the water drops had been in focus....don't want to sound negative & I struggle with focus on similar shots where there's lots of parts to an object , just saying how I see it so please don't take offence

Handmade....did a double take when I saw the hand , then read the text & understood what I was seeing:LOL: Good double whammy for the theme...those rings look fab , like that the nail polish almost matches the nicely subdued BG...finger tips slightly clipped is a shame but , yeah like it :clap:

no Lynne we're doing this in order to gain criticism to help us improve - well I am anyway :) so no offence taken at all :LOL:

the last 2 shots were both a struggle with focus as the auto focus on my 18-55 has gone a bit awry :(

also this new camera seems to focus differently to my 400 so I'm still trying to work out what it's doing lol

but kudos for being honest - that's what we need, help in order to take better pics

I always try to get an interesting shot, not just meet the theme, but also to make the picture worthy of being in an album :)

I have a 50D and the 'focus field' seems larger than the 400D - it seems to focus on stuff just to the side of the AF point. My 400 had no problem focussing on birds sitting in trees, but this one tends to focus on all the branches

I think I have the settings correct, but I will experiment a bit more :) it's a much cleverer camera lol

sturisoma said:
I think I have the settings correct, but I will experiment a bit more :) it's a much cleverer camera lol
Sometimes to clever for us eh? I had issues with my 7D until I discovered a thread on here about 7D focusing! Have you seen this thread*Linky they might have useful tips?

Oh I can't see what camera you have on the TP App!

ok, quite a busy week, I bought a new 18-55 lens and decided to try and fix the old one - twas easy peasy - so I learned how to fix lenses - yay

I didn't want to do yet another light painted shot for this week, and originally intended to try a reflected water drop, but boy that will need some practice ha ha

so then I thought of this, got me an expert coin spinner and two pretty good shots :LOL:

it was hard to decide on a favourite but I chose this one (you can see the other one on my Flickr stream):

week 9 - money by moominmama, on Flickr

I like the idea, it was one of my first when I saw the theme I have to admit.

It's hard for me, I like the idea but I think a slightly faster shutter speed might have frozen it slightly more to get a little of the centre of the coin in focus?

You're background though is really distracting me where the 3 black lines seem to be meeting?

that's the windowsill at work, been working weekend nights as well as weeks so haven't had much time to perfect this, I wish I'd polished the coin too :LOL:

Catching up a bit, handmade. The rings are lovely! Hand is a little creepy :) Fits the theme excellently!

Good take on the theme and sounds like you have been pushed a bit with being busy. Like Paul, I think it could have done to have been a higher shutter speed. There is too much movement.

Well done for fitting in a shot in a busy week!

I think that's a good shot. I agree about the shutter speed and especially the background, but I'm not sure I'd have been able to capture that at all!

Same thoughts really, coin could have been cleaner and definitely not so good background but good effort (y)

Handmade, nice rings, but the top one has a blown section. I have to say, and no offence, but I'm drawn to the hand more...quick unnerving is it though :eek: Bit too much space left and right and not enough top and bottom.

You've done well with money, the edges have motion blur and the centre is quite sharp, so well done. Looks a tad dark and I'd prefer a cleaner BG.

Cheers.

thanks for the comments guys, I was trying to get the centre sharp-ish and the edges blurred. I had to use the windowsill for the light. I will be trying again tho

I also thought the base would give me more reflection - I just wanted it all lmao

ok quick question for those who said it needs a faster shutter speed.

Any increase in shutter speed seems to freeze the motion and you get what looks like a coin standing on its end. How much faster should the shutter speed be?

all help appreciated as I'd like to get this right :)

As for the shutter speed what speed did you use for the shot???

From the exif on Flickr, it's 1/90 sec. Knowing the size of a £1.00 coin, and using the information in the photograph, your homework is to calculate the rotational speed of the coin in RPM ;)

Last edited:
oh thanks Mark - I'll do it tonight :LOL: (easy peasy, Newton is my friend)

anyway - let me present to you 'WIN'

week 10 - win by moominmama, on Flickr

Defeated so you win, well thought out shot Summer and mono is fitting too. ;) I feel defeated at the moment just wondering what I am going to come up with.

thanks Alby - there's a life-size chess set at Rowlands Gill oop north, that would have made a good shot too :)

thanks Alby - there's a life-size chess set at Rowlands Gill oop north, that would have made a good shot too :)
I was thinking about photographing the "Victory", lord Nelsons flag ship but just don't have the time so anyone from the area doing the 52 is welcome to this idea :D

Nice one (y)
My opportunity doesn't happen until Sunday ... will it matter if it's late :thinking:

Back