Summit of Buttertubs - TDF

Edit My Images
No
A couple from Stage 1 of le Tour de France. Taken at the approach to the summit of the Cat 3 climb up the Buttertubs Pass to Swaledale.

1 I'm in 2nd

2 I'm 3rd

3 Here comes the peloton:

4 In the Peloton

5 Where we wild camped on the road

A fantastic few days out. I had been put off by the prices being touted by Yorkshire folk trying to make a quick buck. Some wanted £290 for minimum 3 nights camping in a field with chemical bogs, no water supply nor hook up for power. So I had made recce trips back and from work to establish a place to wild camp. Travelled from home on Thursday night (300 miles) and parked up on the roadside just below the summit. Set the vans up with a roll out awning between. Had an excellent spot, watched the crowds build, got a fair amount of time with the riders going past.

And got shown on the telly to boot. Priceless

Hi keefy, sounds like you're enjoying it :) and got on TV too hahaha

I'm not sure about those first 2, the riders are completely out of focus, the camera guy and the spectators in the first, are more in focus as is the 2nd image (just the spectators, cant see the video guy).

#3 and #4 are good though, good expressions on that 4th one, I'm knackered just looking at them lol, the last image doesn't do anything for me. Maybe this should be in the shooting for pleasure section, rather than critique? Sorry to be so harsh :(

No3 is a cracker it captures what the TDF is all about masses of racing bikes with crowds thronging the road.

A fantastic few days out. I had been put off by the prices being touted by Yorkshire folk trying to make a quick buck. Some wanted £290 for minimum 3 nights camping in a field with chemical bogs, no water supply nor hook up for power.
Yells bells that's unbelievable. We live locally and was surprised to see a sign for camping in a field on the way into ilkley at £40 a night. Seems a bit of a bargain now :)

Hi keefy, sounds like you're enjoying it :) and got on TV too hahaha

I'm not sure about those first 2, the riders are completely out of focus, the camera guy and the spectators in the first, are more in focus as is the 2nd image (just the spectators, cant see the video guy).

#3 and #4 are good though, good expressions on that 4th one, I'm knackered just looking at them lol, the last image doesn't do anything for me. Maybe this should be in the shooting for pleasure section, rather than critique? Sorry to be so harsh :(

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate your candour. I must look closer on the images I post as I didn't clearly see the lack of focus on the writing on the shorts. Still, got lots more to go through. The last image was to give a perspective of where it was and how I managed to get there early!!

Jakeblu thanks for your comments.

I have to say that I'm a bit puzzled by these photographs. You are shooting with £5k+ of equipment and yet you are using AUTO mode.

That explains why the focus is off on almost every single shot and also why the exposure is wrong - the shutter speed is way too slow in all but the last image.

If you are going to invest that much money in your kit, show it some respect and learn how to use it properly!

The shots are decently composed but ruined by any technical input at all.

Got to agree with Mark on this, i would actually be embarassed to have posted the first 2, No3 is OK, No4 is a terrible composition and 5 is spoiled by the girl going down the road

Crit on here can seem harsh at times but there is simply no valid reason to pat you on the back and tell you theyre great shots when theyre not, you wont leany anything that way

Back