Sun Morning Football

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Pics taken with Canon 70-200 f2.8L.

Settings: M, 1/500, ISO 400 and F3.2

All have been cropped and put through PS

The day was damp and very overcast to say the least...

C+C most welcome...

LC1Y6283.jpg

LC1Y6351.jpg

LC1Y6353.jpg

LC1Y6359.jpg

LC1Y6362.jpg

LC1Y6373.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Looks like a pretty cold and maybe slightly misty morning for your shoot here. Quite of a few of these could do with a straighten in my opinion and they look a little on the soft side to me. Not sure if thats how they have been processed or if its down to hosting or what.

Out of the set i would say number oneis best for action, although the amount of space on the left could be reduced i think.

Hi Antc,

Thanks for the reply (y)

I never noticed they needed straightening I will keep an eye out the next time I process any pics.

On the soft side? I have heard this before on here what does it mean how do I sort it?

Also taken note on the space.

Hi

I like them. Well composed and catching the action. You could crop a bit tighter to emphasise the action. With sport I was once told that if it adds nothing to the picture then crop it out. After a while you start cropping tighter in camera :)

I'm going to assume these were taken with a 70-200mm f2.8 ? If so, wait for the action to get closer. The softness could be that these are crops from a much bigger original ?

You could have also upped the ISO and got a bit more shutter speed. For a lot of sports photographers ISO 400 is the starting point for a normal (not overly bright) sunny day. On an overcast day I would be starting at ISO 800 and aiming for shutter speeds of 1/800 or faster.

You will be struggling for focal length at 200mm on a 1.3 crop camera so rather than trying to get an image whatever the distance wait for the action to come to you. You will be surprised how much actually happens within a comfortable distance of a 200mm lens over 90 minutes when you ignore everything which is focal length challenged. A nice way of saying too far away :)

John

Hi jpwone,

That sounds like good advice to me (y)

I like them. Well composed and catching the action.

After a while you start cropping tighter in camera

I assume thats another way of saying filling the frame?

I'm going to assume these were taken with a 70-200mm f2.8 ? If so, wait for the action to get closer. The softness could be that these are crops from a much bigger original ?

I always wondered why, I am trying to only take pics close up just too enthusiastic :LOL: and click away

You could have also upped the ISO and got a bit more shutter speed. For a lot of sports photographers ISO 400 is the starting point for a normal (not overly bright) sunny day. On an overcast day I would be starting at ISO 800 and aiming for shutter speeds of 1/800 or faster.

Yes I have actually been told this before (by my brother) that in sport a good shutter speed is best just forgot with all the info I've taken on board so thanks for the reminder.

No doubt I will get a told you :razz: from him

Last edited:
Great start, but get that lens to 2.8 on a day like this and double the ISO at least. I reckon you could be very good. Best starter set I have seen on here.

D.

Yes, fill the frame. As a rule of thumb whatever you are shooting should be filling a fair chunk of the view finder. This sometimes means shooting a bit early if the action is coming towards you and hitting a burst of two or three shots.

If you can compose well and have a sense of timing then the technical bits will come. Experience will refine these first two as you obviously have the 'eye'.

That is high praise from Pete. When I started I would have been swinging from the rooftops for a a comment like that from someone of Pete's calibre.

John

No doubt I will get a told you :razz: from him

Nagh nagh ..Told you..

Brian bought my newest 1dmkII when I got the mkIII.. I kept the oldest as backup and short lens camera that I hardly use..

He used a sigma 70-200 on my recomendation as thats what I started wiht and got good results... he then saw my pics using a canonL lens and went for the 70-200 because he does a lot of bmx stuff as well..

He crops the same as I do for print sales.. maybe crop a bit more for on here :)

I showed him in a couple of weeks what it took me a year on POTN to learn and he has been with me to a couple of games.. I wish I had met me when I was learning hahaha :) Thus he has gone straight into it using manual mostly and has a reasonable concept of what the three variables do..

His style is now a bit like mine :) he needs input from other people and not just me with my one way of doing things... he needs to learn there are other ways.. better ways... different ways blah blah...

Last edited:
Hi Kipax

we've got to stop meeting like this :)

Got to agree with you about style and how fortunate Brian is to be getting quality help. I don't think people fully appreciate how difficult football can be to photograph until they try it.

A photographer I got a lot of inspiration and ideas from by looking at his work is Gavin Ellis at tgsphoto www.tgsphoto.co.uk

I looked at aspect ratios used to display, cropping, field position, shadows so I could see where the sun/light was in relation to the photographer etc. Not that I'm putting myself in the same league as Gavin but when starting I think that you do need a style and methodology that you can refer to. Once you are comfortable with the style then I think you start to develop. The 'what if' kicks in. What if I shoot with the sun behind the players instead of me? What if I shoot from the goal line instead of the half way line? What if I get really low? What if I try a slow shutter panning shot?

I also think you have to be comfortable with a style as this then allows you to recognise a different style or approach in someone else work. Why does their work look different to mine? Is it better? How did they do it? Can I do it? Do I want to do it? Can I mix it with my style? I still spend a fair bit of time looking at other photographers work to see how I can improve my own. Bit sad really when the first section I turn to in the Sunday paper is the sports section so I can look at the pictures :)

John

Last edited:
I recognise my style in brians work.. had to happen.. I like my style and I know others do.. but equally some wont.. I can see other peoples style but I think its only us photographers... anyone else looking at pics just see pics I think.

Yes it is difficult.. but saying that.. weddings scare me and I would hate to do them... each to his own I guess.

Gavin Ellis is like the (cant think of word) of sports photography.. Its his articles on POTN that are still there now that helped me and many others.. I read them.. understood 1% and kept going back re reading and learning until I knew as much as I could.. All that learning then pass it onto your little bruvver in about 2 weeks haha

Antc, jpwone and diego,

Your feedback has given me a real boost (y).

kipax your fired!!!

Only joking bruv :LOL::LOL:

hope you are looking after the MK111 for me ;)

Back